PDA

View Full Version : Isofix models?

lhoust84
27-09-2016, 11:51 AM
Hi Guys,

Ive always had Japanese and sporty (last car was a supercharged MX5 mk1 track toy) and now Im a mum, I dont really want that to change that... I know im supposed to be all sensible and penny pinching (currently have a vw golf - had to get something, the harness wouldn't go over the blossoming bump), but I cant bring myself to drive a boring old granny mobile.....

So I'm looking at a Galant estate or Legnum, ideally Manual and lets face it, might as well be a VR4 - but thats as far as ive got...
I know MTM is rare and I cant seem to even find models above a 99 plate listed for sale?!?!
From what age did the models have Isofix?
Im looking at spending up to 6k, so would i get what i wanted for that money?

Humpty's Revenge
27-09-2016, 12:12 PM
Hi Guys,

Ive always had Japanese and sporty (last car was a supercharged MX5 mk1 track toy) and now Im a mum, I dont really want that to change that... I know im supposed to be all sensible and penny pinching (currently have a vw golf - had to get something, the harness wouldn't go over the blossoming bump), but I cant bring myself to drive a boring old granny mobile.....

So I'm looking at a Galant estate or Legnum, ideally Manual and lets face it, might as well be a VR4 - but thats as far as ive got...
I know MTM is rare and I cant seem to even find models above a 99 plate listed for sale?!?!
From what age did the models have Isofix?
Im looking at spending up to 6k, so would i get what i wanted for that money?

Welcome Laura, where are you based ?

lhoust84
27-09-2016, 12:30 PM
Hi steve, Im based in Suffolk in the UK /Wyhy

Humpty's Revenge
27-09-2016, 12:34 PM
Hi steve, Im based in Suffolk in the UK /Wyhy

Sounds cool

But your IP address says your on Rhode Island USA ?

lhoust84
27-09-2016, 12:43 PM
ermmmm, lol not sure why that is,,, i am on a works pc, and the company is American owned... but other than that id say its magic!

Humpty's Revenge
27-09-2016, 12:48 PM
ermmmm, lol not sure why that is,,, i am on a works pc, and the company is American owned... but other than that id say its magic!

That's why it's coming up that your in the USA.

As for isofix for Vr4 I am pretty sure they don't have any ?

Also not sure if there is anything that could be fitted either but a fellow member might know better than myself

And again /Welcome

lhoust84
27-09-2016, 12:52 PM
Ah... Hmmm.... that kinda puts a spanner in the works.... Was really wanting a child friendly sporty estate.
And thanks! :-)

Pugme
27-09-2016, 01:02 PM
Suburu forester are made on newer reg and would probably suit your needs if your not looking to be a boring scooby owner :-)

Confused
27-09-2016, 01:47 PM
I don't think any VR-4 came with IsoFix.

However, a seat properly fitted with a seat belt can be just as safe as IsoFix - IsoFix is just less difficult to get wrong - it's either snapped in place or not, whereas a seat belt can look secure, but isn't.

For a first-born seat, take a look at the Maxi-Cosi Cabriofix with the base - the base gets strapped in using the seatbelt, and then the baby just clips in and out of the base, which you can do very easily. If you need the seat in another car, swapping the base takes about a minute to do, or you can strap the Pebble directly into another car if it's only a one-time use.

For booster seats when they're out of the baby seats, they will again just strap in using the seatbelt.

I certainly wouldn't discount cars just because they don't have IsoFix!

Nick Mann
27-09-2016, 01:50 PM
Isofix is not available on the VR4. 2002 is the latest they were made but most will be 99 or earlier. I have good child seats that aren't Isofix in the back of mine and have no safety concerns. The car got very good safety ratings in its day and as long as your seats are good quality and properly fitted then it shouldn't be a problem IMO.

£6k should get you a very nice car, although they are rare to see for sale now, so you might have to spend some time looking.

lhoust84
27-09-2016, 02:10 PM
Thanks guys, I already have a 360 swivel child seat (isofix only) that is supposed to last for a number of years and cost a tidy piece! But the bonus is it is good on my back - plus the law states car seats have to be "i-size" which basically means they stay rear facing for longer, so although my son is out of that stage now (hes 21 months) at the time i had to have a child seat that was bound by these regulations... And this seat should last him till hes approximately 4 - so a number of years to keep it... or i guess, sell it and buy a VR4!

OK, so no VR4, but are there later models of Galant estate or Legnum that will have isofix??

Confused
27-09-2016, 02:15 PM
Very unlikely - production ended in 2002, and IsoFix was not a requirement until 2004 in the EU, when it was then only an optional extra for a number of years, so unless new car purchasers explicitly stated it, it was not available.

lhoust84
27-09-2016, 02:19 PM
oh damnit, looks like ill have to sell the child seat then.... :dizzy2:
Thanks Confused! :thumbsup:

Confused
27-09-2016, 02:21 PM
oh damnit, looks like ill have to sell the child then.... :dizzy2:

That would be my preferred option!!!! :D

lhoust84
27-09-2016, 02:30 PM
/haz /haz /haz

Dont suppose you know if they have Anchorage points in the boot?

Atik
27-09-2016, 02:43 PM
Not from my recollection of stripping out my old Legnums.
In fact the JDM Legnums and Galants didnt even have a 3 point rear centre belt, only a lap belt. The UKDM Galants had all 3 point belts on the facelift models (late 98 onwards).

If you really wanted anchorage points in the boot, there is plenty of scope to get some points welded in if you wanted. Lot of work I expect.

lhoust84
27-09-2016, 02:51 PM
Yes, fair point, anything is possible but too much work and when saftey is involved, i dont like to mess with that. Its cool, ill sell the isofix and get a normal belt seat. However, now the next step is to actually find a clean MTM estate in the country that is not the otherside of the country to me!!

Confused
27-09-2016, 03:06 PM
Don't discount the automatics - they are VERY good automatics, and suit the car very well!!

And when it's in tiptronic mode, once you learn when to ask it to change gear, it will change *exactly* when you want it to.

Nick Mann
27-09-2016, 04:21 PM
I am not sure how anchoring points work with child seats, but there are luggage anchor points just behind the seats in the floor.

Pugme
27-09-2016, 09:25 PM
And I may be selling a manual conversion very soon :)