PDA

View Full Version : bonnet wont close

jahooli
15-10-2016, 10:04 AM
Hello, my bonnet wont close, I can get it safe, on the catch and can open it again but it wont go down fully. The cable is still attached and the bonnet lever in the car is not slack.
Any thoughts or advice?

Many thanks

Paul

jahooli
15-10-2016, 10:16 AM
Long nosed pliers sorted that one out. Cables fine

Nick Mann
15-10-2016, 10:43 AM
Some wd40 and repetitive working helps the issue in the future too.

Erni902
15-10-2016, 12:32 PM
Had the same issue on one of my VR-4's a while ago, it would also open at anything above 60mph, so yeah that was a bit scary as I didnt have bonnet pins at the time haha. When I got home (after several stops to put it back down again) I ended up removing the whole mechanism and refurbing the lot. Stripping it back completely, giving it a full and thorough clean before regreasing it all back up and refitting. Never had a problem since :)

Davezj
21-10-2016, 01:54 PM
This I similar to what nick recommends. But directed at just the release cable.
If you can get to it spray WD40 down the end of the Bowden cable (I think it is called Bowden cable) the sleeve with the wire running through it, like bike brakes and gear cables..
Get the wd40 straw nozzle right up to the end of the cable and spray it in while someone else works the release handle back and forth. It should make it the bonnet catch and release correctly.

Sent from my space-aged gizmo

Confused
21-10-2016, 02:48 PM
Be wary of using WD40 - it does a reasonable job at freeing something up, but it's a solvent, and is designed to disperse water and other things - it's *not* a lubricant!

Once you've freed up the cable/mechanism, be sure to lubricate it again - the lock mechanism some nice thick grease, and for the cable, silicon spray grease will do a good job.

Davezj
21-10-2016, 05:01 PM
Good point.
A goods spray of spray grease will keep it sliding like a well lubricated sausage.
I mean sliding around in the pan. Lol

Sent from my space-aged gizmo