PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank pull

madluka
22-12-2016, 10:04 PM
Anyone ever pulled down the fuel tank on their Legnum VR4? I have a strong, quite nauseating smell of fuel from the tank area of the car and can hear hissing when the car is parked from the rear wheel arch area. The fuel filler neck was replaced not long ago, as there was nothing of it left, but it hasnt solved the whole problem.

Nick Mann
23-12-2016, 12:54 AM
The tank is not able to rust. Have you lifted the rear seat and checked the fuel pump area?
I had my tank out but I had the rear subframe out too and I don't remember which order they came out in.

Nick Mann
23-12-2016, 01:10 AM
Just reading my old thread it looks like i removed the subframe before the tank.
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?63304-Nicks-Project-Hamilton/page3

menno3x8g
23-12-2016, 11:51 AM
Did you check the fuel filter? Last replacement?

madluka
26-12-2016, 06:26 PM
Hi. When I bought the car it stunk of fuel, the MOT revealed the filler neck had disintegrated so I have replaced that. I also replaced the fuel filter not long after just to start replacing some regular servicing items. I am wondering if the fuel filler neck flexible hose is perished as I couldn't really get to that to inspect when I was doing the filler neck. I really need to drop the sub frame and tank so I can have a really good look at the condition of the fittings and pipework I guess.

Davezj
27-12-2016, 11:03 AM
I would have thought you can look at the fuel filler hoses without droping thr tank or thd rear sub frame.

Let assume fornow that the fuel tank is ok , no corrosion because it is plastic
. The only real issue you should have with the sub frame itself is the frame to chassis mounting points 4 of them 2 on each side. These are visible with out removing the sub frame.
If what you are saying is you want to check the condition of the chassis floor behind the fuel tank and sub frame the yes you will have to remove them both but from my experiance if the exposed chassis around these areas looksok only a bit of suface rust then the metal behind these areas will be fine no problems there.

But that is just my opinion.

madluka
28-12-2016, 10:18 PM
When I replaced the fuel filler neck, this required undoing the clamp that secures the filler neck to the flexible hose leading to the tank - I found access to that extremely limited and at that point I did not dare disturb the hose too much as there was no way that I could see of seeing, getting a tool to and undoing what I assume is another clamp holding the flexible hose to the fuel tank. I suspect that 6 inches or so of pipe is compromised.