PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Elbow Questions

Erni902
04-01-2017, 02:09 PM
Right after 3 months Ive managed to finally get the downpipes off the purple VR4. The only issue I came across was one of the studs from the front turbo elbow was removed in the process. Nothing seems sheered and the stud is intact, it just isnt in the elbow any more and has the nut still attached (the nut that holds the downpipes on).

First question is: Does this now render the entire elbow un-serviceable or can a fresh stud be simply put back in?

The second question regarding turbo elbows is: Is there anything that can be done to the stock turbo elbow that would benefit the airflow in anyway shape or form?

For the engine swap I am looking at potentially using Zircotec Performance coatings on most of the induction and exhaust pipework to keep engine bay temps down and to also add a small extra barrier for rust prevention aswell.

1st question is not so much of a drama as I can just swap the turbo elbow over from the original engine but just adds that little more work.

2nd question I am more interested in as while the engine is out if there is anything I can do to aid airflow etc then I may aswell do this.

Davezj
04-01-2017, 02:31 PM
you could just put a new stud onto the elbow it should only be a couple of quid from and motor factors or an exhaust shop.

OR

you could get 2 nut of the correct size lock thread them both onto the free end of the stud and lock them together, put that end of the stud in a vice and get some WD40/heat on the rusted nut and try and back it off the stud. then you can take the other 2 nuts off the other end of the stud.
well that is the way i would free up the rusted nut.

adaxo
04-01-2017, 03:49 PM
There's is upgraded option of lbow https://www.ozvr4.com/threads/trottys-black-legnum.13359/page-4
Not sure if they are still available.

Erni902
04-01-2017, 06:22 PM
Cheers for the idea Dave, although I think I will go with the new stud. How easy is it to remove the other stud from the elbows? I might just replace them all if its easy enough to do.

Thanks for the link Adam I think though these were made by Daniel Trotty himself as opposed to being bought. Maybe we can persuade him to set up a group buy if he fancies making a few sets up ;)

adaxo
04-01-2017, 07:10 PM
AFAIK he made them for sale some time ago but i cant find thread about it, there was some hiccup with his trading account or something so it may been removed, not sure, but if you stick with standard tubs then it could be beneficial to fit them.

Stud situation, keep it as it is and bolt back on when reusing this turbo/engine combination, im sure there's some odd thread on both sides and is not common bolt or thread pattern to replace easy.

Erni902
04-01-2017, 08:02 PM
Ah right ok that would make sense. Yes I am pretty much decided that I will be sticking with stock turbos for the foreseeable so just want to see if there is anything I can do to make the engine breathe better and produce more efficient power.

If I can get the engine and turbos to run more efficiently then I will be able to make the same power whilst causing less stress on the entire lot making it more reliable. I really want to make the turbos the weakest link under the bonnet.

By this I dont mean running them at their limits to intentionally break them, I just mean I would like a solid reliable engine where if something were to fail it would be the turbos. I have spare turbos anyway so if one dies I can just replace the pair and get them refurbished.

Trotty
04-01-2017, 10:22 PM
Hi guys. I custom. Ale those parts been really swamped this year with life. Hopefully get some more done in the future. So hard keeping up with demand. I'm also Australian based.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erni902
05-01-2017, 12:42 AM
Totally understand mate so no dramas. I have just found out that RPW in your neck of the woods actually supply aftermarket elbows with a 2.5" outlet so I might just order a set of these.