PDA

View Full Version : Help - Wheel Vibration

sambrose
14-03-2005, 12:06 PM
When I got the car about a month ago there was a very slight vibration, felt thru the steering wheel, after I'd inflated the tyres up to 36psi all round. It was so slight that it didn't bother me and when the tyres were low pressure you couldn't feel it all. I also had some vibration when braking from high speeds, say 80-90mph, but put this down to warped discs.

I've just had all 4 tyres changed and set the fronts to 34psi and rears to 32. Now there's quite a bad vibration driving at high speeds. It's at it's worst 70-80mph and the braking vibration is still around.

I've read some of the forum already but can anybody say "yes, i've had those symptons and you need to do this"

many thanks

Zeke
14-03-2005, 12:27 PM
Those are classical symptoms of wheels out of balance or bent rims. But since you said you changed your tires already you must have already received a re-balancing right??
I also had warped discs when I got my VR4, and the vibration went away after I put in a front National + Ferodo set that Spirit is keen on. I wouldn't bother turning your rotors, just get new ones /yes

Roadrunner
14-03-2005, 12:35 PM
It's also quite likely that the wheel balancing machine is out of calibration, or that the operator didn't key in the correct parameters (wrong rim width, for example). Wouldn't be the first time that I've experienced both.

There is also a possibility that your track-rod ends are worn and that the old tyres had "adapted" to regular vibration through uneven wear. Getting the TREs checked is usually free and is a good place to start. If they're OK, I'd go back to the place that balanced the wheels and ask for a re-balance. They should do that free.

I'd be surprised if warped rotors caused you to experience these symptoms unless you're braking at the time. If the rims are only slightly bent, the wheel balancing should have eliminated that and balanced up OK.

sambrose
14-03-2005, 02:40 PM
thanks chaps.

i will get wheel balance re-checked on wednesday and ask them to check the track rod ends.

interested to know if parts like track rod ends, front disks and pads are vr4 specific or standard galant?

Nick Mann
14-03-2005, 03:02 PM
Track rod ends are the same as the V6. Obtainable for less than £10 if you shop around. And it is good advice to check them out!

sambrose
18-03-2005, 11:55 AM
/help again!

i'm going to take the plunge and replace these on the car anyway.

i've this done this many times before on other cars so is it all still a DIY job on the VR4?

any hints and tips for doing this work? (apart paying someone else to do it)

i assume tracking needs checking after the TRE's are replaced?

can anyone kindly point me in the right direction of obtaining the national/ferodo combination that i've read about in some of the forums and the TRE's over the net and in time for easter weekend?

many thanks y'all, again

Nick Mann
18-03-2005, 02:20 PM
I think the National/Ferodo combo info is in the members area. One of the deals that are reserved for full members! Sorry! There is also a good Haynes style procedure for changing the front and read discs and pads.

The TRE's should be available anywhere. One of the best companies in Brum is Car Spares - they are about £8 plus VAT each. Count turns as you remove and refit the TRE's. It is well worth checking the tracking afterwards, but at least that will put you in the right area.