PDA

View Full Version : does CVR4 still run on chrome?

Davezj
11-03-2017, 12:22 PM
i am having issues with view CVR4 on chrome

i am using vista, chrome Version 49.0.2623.112 m

i am only having an issue will cvr4 other websites are fine.

IE 9 is displaying CVR4 ok

hope this is just a glitch in some settings as i can't update chrome on vista any more, it would mean a complete reinstall of windows as there is no upgrade fath from vista to windows 7 only form windows 7 onwards

Humpty's Revenge
11-03-2017, 12:39 PM
i am having issues with view CVR4 on chrome

i am using vista, chrome Version 49.0.2623.112 m

i am only having an issue will cvr4 other websites are fine.

IE 9 is displaying CVR4 ok

hope this is just a glitch in some settings as i can't update chrome on vista any more, it would mean a complete reinstall of windows as there is no upgrade fath from vista to windows 7 only form windows 7 onwards

I think since the site has been updated & members are still using vista I too can't get the club now

adaxo
11-03-2017, 05:26 PM
Version 57.0.2987.98 (64-bit)

runs fine on my Win10

Confused
11-03-2017, 07:34 PM
What kind of issues?

*begin sarcasm*

You've given no details, as are expecting us to identify the issues based on a couple of sentences.

*end sarcasm*

Seriously, though, if you can provide some screenshots and more info, i can take a look into it :)

adaxo
11-03-2017, 07:44 PM
I think is issue by using old bookmarks as they not work after forum migration, it takes ma a while to work out whats wront, especially on tablets as they auto create shortcuts.

Confused
11-03-2017, 09:07 PM
The only recent change (other than the migration to a new server at the beginning of the year) has been to update the site to primarily use HTTPS rate than HTTP, however it should automatically redirect.

TAR
11-03-2017, 09:17 PM
landing page is not secure for me when in Chrome. It appears I'm not logged in until I click whats new, then all is OK.

Vista Dave... seriously!

:happy:

foxdie
11-03-2017, 09:30 PM
Heh yeah, Vista? :D

Working fine here on Windows 7 :thumbsup:

Davezj
11-03-2017, 09:44 PM
I will post up some screen shots when I back at home.
All the page structure has gone from the screen it just seem to be menu items that just get listed in the left hand side of the screen in text with a few coloured bands spread across the screen.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

Davezj
11-03-2017, 09:48 PM
My issue only started earlier on this week.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

Confused
11-03-2017, 10:43 PM
The home page should now redirect automatically to the secure version (I found a setting I'd missed earlier) :)

I will await screenshots and see if it's something I can quickly identify :)

Confused
11-03-2017, 10:46 PM
Have you tried a force refresh by pressing Ctrl+F5 ?

Confused
11-03-2017, 11:03 PM
I've just done an online browser screenshot thingy, using Chrome 39.0 (so quite an old version!). I couldn't choose which operating system, so this is on Server 2008 R2

Davezj
12-03-2017, 12:48 AM
here is the pic

i can do more if you want.

Confused
12-03-2017, 08:12 AM
Thanks Davezj

That looks like it's not loaded the CSS for styling properly. Or, probably more correctly, it thinks it's already got the styling (but it is incorrect), so isn't retrieving it from the server again, hence why it isn't looking right even over repeated visits.

Did you try Ctrl+F5? :)

Davezj
12-03-2017, 05:25 PM
this is another screen shot of my normal bookmark page after Ctrl F5

foxdie
12-03-2017, 07:33 PM
Ahh! I think I know what's happening here.

This Google blog post (https://chrome.googleblog.com/2015/11/updates-to-chrome-platform-support.html) may shed some light on this.

Long story short, Google stopped delivering software updates to Chrome on XP and Vista, in that time SSL standards have changed.

Time to upgrade bud :thumbsup:

Davezj
12-03-2017, 07:49 PM
easier said than done.

i believe you can't upgrade from vista to 7 you have to format the dive and reinstall every bit of software again. this will be a mightmare for me as i have a lot of software packages that i might not have the original install files and some i dont think like working on win 7.

think i have the win 7 install files so i can do it, but i would rather not.

foxdie
12-03-2017, 07:57 PM
Sounds like it's time to upgrade then bud. I happen to know of a Windows 7 laptop with MMCFlash installed that's for sale ;)

Davezj
12-03-2017, 08:08 PM
yes i was tempted but i am quit attached to 17" studio 17 dell.

jaspa
13-03-2017, 09:58 AM
If you have the windows 7 license and media then you can upgrade from Vista to windows 7. It needs to be the same version of Windows 7 as you have with Vista so Vista Home = Windows 7 Home / Vista Pro = Win7 Pro. And it'll need to be the same architecure, 32bit stays 32bit and 64bit stays 64bit.

That said, I would never really recommend using the upgrade method as it leaves so much bloat behind that can induce stability issues anyway.

Edit - an option is to buy another harddrive, swap this into the machine and install windows 7 on it. Then buy yourself an external Harddrive Caddy and fit the Vista harddrive into it, You should be able to Boot from the external harddrive into Vista to access any of the legacy programs that you cannot install onto the windows 7 machine, then use windows 7 the rest of the time.

Stuart

fassi1
14-03-2017, 02:38 PM
I don't know why but I'm having the same problem on my phone Samsung. I've been always using full version of the website and that stopped working with the result Dave experienced.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Confused
14-03-2017, 04:29 PM
This is again likely due to an old browser. Because we are storing usernames, emails & passwords (although not the full password, only a unique "hash" of your password), and there is also stuff like phone numbers, addresses etc in our database (from when you've become a Member, or sent Private Messages to each other) - we really should be using HTTPS to secure communications between our server and your computer/phone.

Over time, these standards change as exploits are found, or knowledge improves on what is required - and therefore older browsers are now likely to not be compatible if they are not updated.

Additionally, Google are heavily pushing HTTPS for websites, and will begin to de-rank and penalise sites who are not secure - this is not good for any website!

I'll see if there is anything I can do... but can't promise anything for old, unsupported browsers and operating systems...

fassi1
14-03-2017, 05:10 PM
Many thanks.
Will check if phones browser is up to date.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk