PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Gremlins?

marsh
16-03-2005, 07:53 PM
Popped out to the shops at lunchtime today, peeing down with rain, went to the post office, driving back to work, and the TCL light comes on. This was then followed by the engine warning light, at which point I'm sat at the traffic lights laying a cable.

Got back to the office with no noticeable grumbles from the engine bay, left the car for five minutes, returned to it and the lights were out. :inquisiti

I fear there is a gremlin in the electrics somewhere as the speedo has died in the past for the briefest of momments on the way back from Bristol a while back.

The questions from this little scenario are:
1) Should I be worried?
2) Is it down to the weather?, it's been particularly damp and crappy down here today
3) What does TCL stand for?

Checked all fluid levels and on the way home the car was fine so I'm at a bit of a loss really :undecided

SGHOM
16-03-2005, 08:11 PM
The questions from this little scenario are:
1) Should I be worried?
2) Is it down to the weather?, it's been particularly damp and crappy down here today
3) What does TCL stand for?

1) no, not really. was your tickover low ?? ie; did it drop below 400 rpm when you backed off to stop ? that can bring on a few warning lights.
2) could be ! but more likely to be a bad connection, or loose earth etc.
3) TCL stands for traction control. ok for road use, but MUST NOT be used on a race track !! [ much more fun without it !! ] :thumbsup: :drummer: /yes /yes

psbarham
16-03-2005, 08:15 PM
tcl is the traction control as for being worried unless it happens again when its dry i shouldn't worry to much but if you are worried go to mitsubishi and see if any codes show up on their machine that goes ping

marsh
16-03-2005, 08:17 PM
1) no, not really. was your tickover low ?? ie; did it drop below 400 rpm when you backed off to stop ? that can bring on a few warning lights.
2) could be ! but more likely to be a bad connection, or loose earth etc.
3) TCL stands for traction control. ok for road use, but MUST NOT be used on a race track !! [ much more fun without it !! ] :thumbsup: :drummer: /yes /yes

Interesting. As I slowed for the traffic lights the engine light came on. I have recently had what I thought was a faulty headlight bulb only to find it was a crappy connection.

Like I said, all seems well with it now so I'll just see how I fare. Guess it's just having an off day, I'll have a rummage around with some wires at the weekend perhaps.

Thought it was traction control, just didn't know where the extra L had come from.

Nick Mann
16-03-2005, 08:31 PM
Ah, excellent. I see you are using the machine that goes 'PING'!

My money would also be on a loose connection. Search on TCL and engine light and there is something you can check. (I can't remember what it is, but I know the infos there somewhere!)

strangebat
16-03-2005, 10:06 PM
I had tcl and engine lights on the other day when I drove off after forgetting to reconnect the cable to MAF, maybe check that first.

marsh
16-03-2005, 10:37 PM
Cheers for the advice, a quick search and it would appear that it's something of a fairly common fault. Top job. :smug:

Physician
17-03-2005, 12:59 AM
Hi Marsh,

My first option would be to disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes. This will re-set the ECU (when I first had my VR4 I had exactly the same symptoms and this corrected the fault).

Whilst doing this, clean all terminals and ensure a good earth connection by undoing and cleaning etc.

As to TCL ........ as Derek has said - turn off for track use but on ordinary roads beware of the following in case you are not familiar with the system.

The TCL will cut the fuel to the engine under certain circumstances - as a safety feature. However, on a number of occassions I have caused myself some grief when, for instance, I am at a junction and want to turn right or left onto a busy major road. I note a space in the traffic and get ready to pull out quickly only to find that the damn fuel gets cut all of a sudden as I'm half way out. It's all to do with the sharp turn and acceleration which presumably tells the ECU that I may start skidding so cuts fuel .........eeeeeeeeek! Anyway, just a tip.

marsh
17-03-2005, 09:24 PM
Todays driving antics found nothing more than a couple of healthy AYC bars whilst hussling the car round a roundabout :thumbsup: .

If said light show rears it's ugly head again then I'll do the battery fix.