PDA

View Full Version : Folding mirrors won't unfold.

kitefighter
25-04-2017, 04:36 PM
Hello All,

I have a 7g Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 with electric folding mirrors. The mirrors fold in as a pair, but don't open. I've replaced the folding and mirror switch but the problem persists on both mirrors.

When I disconnect and reconnect the battery, the mirrors begin to move then freeze again.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

Davezj
25-04-2017, 06:51 PM
It sounds like the mechanisum is just dirty and maybe a little corroded.
get some WD40 and spray it into the folding mechanisum. then close the mirrors when they are closing give them a push to help them close then open them and give them a push to help them open. do this a few times and you should see an improvement in the movement.
keep repeating this until the mechanisum is freeed up completely.

Goreden
25-04-2017, 07:14 PM
What Dave said, i had this on my leggie and done what Dave suggests and has been fine since

kitefighter
11-05-2017, 11:25 AM
Thanks for all of your replies.

Strange thing happened yesterday. I reconnected the battery and the wing mirrors folded in and didn't respond to the switch, but then unfolded and stayed that way. I'm tempted to disconnect the switch but will see what happens.

Davezj
13-05-2017, 11:29 AM
There is 3 positions on the switch, well there seems to be on mine. Up down and centre. The center position the mirrors do nothing.
If you park the car and close the mirrors. Switch off the engine. Then flick the switch to open position . When you come back to the car and switch the ignition on the mirrors will open seemingly automatically without you doing anything.

On a side note,
You do know the mirrors are only designed to operate with the ignition switch on.
When you turn the ignition switch off. There is a small time period where you can operate the mirrors then the mirror power supply is turned off.
About 15 seconds after ignition is turned off.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

kitefighter
16-05-2017, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll try this next time I use the car.