PDA

View Full Version : Excessive time closed loop fault.

Westgatez
08-05-2017, 09:58 PM
Hi just flagged this code up on our works vagcom, anyone understand the meaning of this, specific to legnums.

fassi1
08-05-2017, 10:07 PM
It means that the engine exceeds the time to enter closed loop.
That could be due to O2 sensor not getting up to temp (faulty O2 sensor heater) or any other parameter mot reaching correct value required to enter closed loop.

Nick Mann
09-05-2017, 06:49 AM
I would only trust flashy dash codes. Is that how you got it?

Westgatez
09-05-2017, 01:05 PM
No it was through a standard vagcom style odb2.

Confused
09-05-2017, 05:02 PM
Ignore it - they're not known to be reliable (and neither is EvoScan with the proper OpenPort cable)

Only pay any attention to fault codes provided by the flashy-dash technique.

Westgatez
09-05-2017, 05:40 PM
Ok, but i do have the corresponding check engine warning light to accompany.

Confused
09-05-2017, 05:45 PM
Have you done the flashy dash and got the code, or do you just a solid CEL when running?

Because you may have a code stored, but not that one, and you could be going down a rabbit hole of changing parts which are working fine.

The ECU in our cars is NOT OBD-II, it uses the same physical connector and a similar protocol, but it is not the same, so you can not trust any standard OBD tools to be accurate.

Confused
09-05-2017, 05:46 PM
That code does not exist on the full list of diagnostic codes (https://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?68869-Full-list-of-engine-codes-update)

Westgatez
09-05-2017, 06:31 PM
I haven't done the flashy dash, I'll have to read the tutorial, if it was never designed to work as OBD2 compliant, how on earth were faults ever diagnosed properly at ones local garage without doing the flashy dash, which seems to be more inclined towards people in the know, rather than your average garage. Surely it defies logic to create a "OBD2" port that declines to work completely with any scan tool that gets plugged into it.

Did they have proper tools in Japan?

Confused
09-05-2017, 07:12 PM
It is MUT-II protocol, for which Mitsubishi garages had a scanner, provided by Mitsubishi. Mitsubishi do not care whether your local garage can diagnose it, so long as their own dealers can. And, until the flashy dash was known to others, they were unable to diagnose correctly.

The 8th generation Galant/Legnum VR-4 was released in Japan in 1995, and the OBD-II protocol was both not properly defined, nor a requirement for new vehicles at the time (the earliest requirement that I am aware of was in 1996 in the US) and as Mitsubishi did not sell these cars into the US, and Europe and other countries did not require it until early 2000s (and then, only on newly released models, and not as a requirement for existing models) - that's why it's not OBD-II compliant.