PDA

View Full Version : refurbishing alloys

SGHOM
17-03-2005, 09:27 PM
Next week, time permitting, I'm going to refurbish my 18" alloys.

They are in a shocking state, :embarasse & even though I can get them looking like new [ish], It still wont be long before I kerb them again !!
/yes

This time though, I'm going for anthracite finish, [ like Pola's ] but with a touch of silver meta-flake. I think they will look cool................... & different !!

waddya think ??

Nick Mann
17-03-2005, 09:38 PM
@BLING!@

It'll suit you down to the ground, D! :thumbsup:

Kieran
17-03-2005, 11:33 PM
How much is it going to cost? And where are you getting them done?

I desperately need to find somewhere to sort Hordak's alloys out... I can't sell the car with them in such a mess! /help

It's either refurb the 17s or I get some tyres for my 16s and put them on the car before sale!! :inquisiti :inquisiti

SGHOM
17-03-2005, 11:56 PM
How much is it going to cost? And where are you getting them done?

I'm doing them myself. a few quiet evenings by the fire with a set of 18" alloys & I'll be into it !! :thumbsup:

to get them done professionally costs around £25/30 per wheel. but I should imagine a lot more to change the colour !! :rolleyes4

Kieran
18-03-2005, 12:29 AM
Ok, so how are you going to repair and paint them? Using bodyfiller and spray cans? :inquisiti

Jimbo
18-03-2005, 12:34 AM
I'm doing them myself. a few quiet evenings by the fire with a set of 18" alloys & I'll be into it !! :thumbsup:

Well it beats knitting /lol

I-S
18-03-2005, 01:04 AM
Could use steel wool....

*Gets Coat*

SGHOM
21-03-2005, 10:17 PM
not sure if they really need refurbishing actually ?? :embarasse :embarasse
dremel at the ready ! :thumbsup:

Big Ian
22-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Derek "ave ago yer sell"...youd pay £200+ for all 4 re done to the spec youd like!
do them your self for about £50......do 1 and if there's to much work involved give them to a man that can?
?or..leave them and wait till you need new tyre's and buy a new set!...your rim's are looking "a wee bit thin"
(must be all that kerb crawlin you do!) :rolleyes4

SGHOM
22-03-2005, 07:38 PM
wonderful things, those little dremel's ! :thumbsup: gets in all the right places. 30 mins work, & most of the outer rim is begining to take shape. obviously I'll be balancing & re-alighning when they're done ! /yes

bernmc
22-03-2005, 08:09 PM
Must have a steady hand m8! What are you going to use to paint them?

SGHOM
22-03-2005, 08:44 PM
What are you going to use to paint them?
dunno yet ? once the damage has been 'ironed' out, I'll 400....800.... then 1000 them to get a good key & get rid of the chrome. then I'll take advice from my paint supplier. :thumbsup:

psbarham
22-03-2005, 08:51 PM
what about hammer finish hammerite it'll hide any little dings that you can't get out :rolleyes4

SGHOM
22-03-2005, 08:53 PM
*BLING* or hammerite ?? let me think !! :rolleyes4 :rolleyes4

psbarham
22-03-2005, 09:39 PM
be a trend setter and go for the hammerite , i mean every 4x4 has chrome and all the chavs have spinners so why not ??

Big Ian
23-03-2005, 12:11 AM
be a trend setter and go for the hammerite , i mean every 4x4 has chrome and all the chavs have spinners so why not ??

Hammerite "smooth"..does exactly that :happy:
i'd go over all the "rubbed down area's" with finishing putty (cant remeber the proper name...DooH!!)smooth it out,then use a metal/alumin undercoat and smooth it all down with "very fine" wet N dry and water then finish them with what ever type of paint and colour you want?
put plenty of "top coat" on so as you can flatten it with very fine wet N dry,water and a touch of soap,then rinse the dust and soap off and with your good arm.....rub some t-cut mixed with polish all over them and buff it all off /yes
then finish them off with just polish......."BlingiN"

SGHOM
23-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Kicked my youngest daughter out of the small bedroom & moved her in with her big sister !! [ when they stop with me............. which is most of the time !! /yes ]
So now I have my own ickle workshop to potter in !!
I'm still trying to get Richard, my landlord to build me a garage. he will, but they are so busy It might be a while yet ! /grr

SGHOM
26-03-2005, 09:27 PM
Ok !! they've been stripped bare, cleaned, de-grunged ?? [ is that a word ?? :embarasse ] parcelled up to protect the tyres, now just need to get them wet'n'dryed, ready for some primer. still a bit of dremeling to do to the front pair !! :rolleyes4

Ah well........................ I'll carry on ! /yes I need a shower though !! :embarasse :embarasse

Big Ian
27-03-2005, 12:25 AM
dont forget to mask the valves and take off the centre cap's /yes

SGHOM
27-03-2005, 12:20 PM
they dont look half bad in white ?? pity it's only the primer ! :embarasse
I know there's a few runs, they will 1200 out later tonight when it's dry.

SGHOM
27-03-2005, 03:13 PM
dont forget to mask the valves and take off the centre cap's /yes
valves masked................. even though I'm getting new chrome ones, & center caps removed............ even though I've bought these !! :rolleyes4

psbarham
27-03-2005, 08:10 PM
BLING!!!! :thumbsup:

SGHOM
29-03-2005, 09:02 PM
looking shiney ! I think they will buff up a bit before I laquer them.
I know I said I was doing them anthracite, but decided to stick with silver. :embarasse
pic 2 is the damaged rim, not too bad a repair ?? I'm not overly fussed about getting them perfect, I'm only going to kerb them again............. damn pebbles !! /yes :rolleyes4

psbarham
29-03-2005, 09:08 PM
looking good mate , hope you got the paint on evenly otherwise you will have to rebalance them! :inquisiti

Wodjno
16-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Looking good Derek . :thumbsup: . Any further proogression on them yet .. Are they done ??

SGHOM
16-04-2005, 10:25 AM
ok ! two wheels done & ready to go back on car, other two..... one primed & other grinded to shape !!

not be long now ! :thumbsup:

dremel !! with the perfect shaped grinding bit for re-shaping rim ! /yes /yes

Wodjno
16-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Thats good news .. Wot are you drivin at the Mo ?? Or have u got 4 space savers on ya VR4 :rolleyes4 :embarasse :inquisiti

have you got any picks of 1's that are done .. ??

SGHOM
16-04-2005, 10:49 AM
I'm using my van most of the time, but I've still got my original wheels on the car !
here's the two finished wheels, I'm not taking the wrapping off until i'm ready to fit all 4 to the car . :thumbsup:

note the silver spray paint on the floor & walls !! :embarasse :embarasse

Nick Mann
16-04-2005, 10:59 AM
note the silver spray paint on the floor & walls !! :embarasse :embarasse

PMSL!!

The 2 that are shown look good, though. Are you doing them with special paint, or will you have to coat them with something?

SGHOM
16-04-2005, 11:08 AM
'Hycote' acrylic paint. aluminium in colour ! :thumbsup:
I was going to laquer them, [ might still do ] but if I get it wrong, it's start all over again ! /grr /yes

Big Ian
16-04-2005, 12:11 PM
ive had a "bad experience" with 'Hycote' in the past!
all was looking nice N shiney (steel wheel's) then i sprayed over with their own clear coat and..... :embarasse the shine disappeard!,it dult down my nice shiney finish :inquisiti

SGHOM
16-04-2005, 12:15 PM
I know what you mean Ian !! I think they may stay as they are ? /yes /yes
they might take a bit more keeping clean, but my man can look after that for me !! :smug:

SGHOM
21-04-2005, 04:44 PM
when spraying alloys, take advantage of the warm sunshine !! :thumbsup:

but make sure you prop the wheels up securely, or else they might fall over, front downwards, & take chunks out of your newley sprayed alloys !! /yes :rolleyes4 :embarasse :embarasse :embarasse

DOH !! /grr

Physician
21-04-2005, 06:48 PM
:embarasse awww, that happened in the bedroom also didn't it !