PDA

View Full Version : AYC question......

marsh
17-03-2005, 09:27 PM
I can't think I've ever put my car into a bend hard enough to find it with three full bars of AYC. Just for my own peace of mind is it a case of, three bars = hedge, or three bars = start to behave or you'll be half way up a tree in a minute? :inquisiti

As you might have guessed, I'm not that keen on the practical.

SGHOM
17-03-2005, 09:30 PM
get it on a track !! /yes that way you'll know what 3 bars really feels like. on the public rd mr :-policema might take more than a passing interest !!

Nick Mann
17-03-2005, 09:37 PM
The only safeish way to see 3 bars on a public road is to play with lots of lock in first gear.

Kenneth
17-03-2005, 09:39 PM
I suspect that 3 bars means that the AYC unit at or close to its limit to keep the yaw movement controlled. This usually means you are sliding :D

As you should know, sliding doesn't mean you will be in a tree very soon... not always at least.

Had 3 bars while executing a nice 180 turn through a roundabout some time ago, the back slid beautifully and there was no risk of loosing control.... well, unless I hit an oil patch.

Jimbo
17-03-2005, 09:48 PM
get it on a track !! /yes that way you'll know what 3 bars really feels like.

I can vouch for that....ahhhh, Elvington, fond memories - only place I've ever got 3 bars ON EVERY corner thumbsup.......ps, is the print of the left side of my face still etched in your passenger window, Derek?! /lol

Dan_G
17-03-2005, 10:51 PM
three bars is easily done.... especially with a manual... go into tight bend in 2nd or third and boot it....... then hold on and then get a big cheesy grin....

worst I got was a bit of understear once on a damp/greesy corner, but I pushed the throttle harder and the ayc seemed to pull/push the front end back round..... absolutley superb engineering feat(feet?).... much respect to the AYC......

Spirit
18-03-2005, 08:23 AM
Yup, once you have experienced the 3 bars it's like a drug....gotta do it again, again and again...... :evil2:

As Derek said, get it on track ! I have been trying to even convert customers at work now, especially the GTi ones.....they all think I'm mad.....they are the mad ones, you only live once so get out there and enjoy your car I say !

nick-f1
18-03-2005, 07:24 PM
three bars is easily done.... especially with a manual... go into tight bend in 2nd or third and boot it....... then hold on and then get a big cheesy grin....

worst I got was a bit of understear once on a damp/greesy corner, but I pushed the throttle harder and the ayc seemed to pull/push the front end back round..... absolutley superb engineering feat(feet?).... much respect to the AYC......

Got to agree! The induced grin just dont go away. :thumbsup:

Sulli
18-03-2005, 10:48 PM
3 bars = nowhere near limit :scholar:
I have achieved 3 bars fairly easily (I suppose thats relative), and continued pushing. 3 Bars just shows that the AYC is working a bit - greasy road and it'll work hard easy - grippy road, and it'll be working when you still have grip maybe????
The AYCto me doesn't add a great deal to the grip levels, I think the driver has a lot more to do with it - i.e. the AYC won't save you if you're being daft; also the AYC won't enable you kick the ass of a good driver with no AYC.

Jimbo
19-03-2005, 12:19 AM
Now I must the only person here to have 2 bars AYC in a straight line....yes? No?

It's a good puncture warning system, I can tell you :thumbsup:

SGHOM
19-03-2005, 12:26 AM
Now I must the only person here to have 2 bars AYC in a straight line....yes? No?

It's a good puncture warning system, I can tell you :thumbsup:
Yes !!! /yes It's taken me this long to realise that we dont need these new fangled " tyre pressure monitors" which some cars have !!
Just loose 10lb of pressure in any tyre, & the AYC will let you know !! :thumbsup:

Kieran
19-03-2005, 01:33 AM
AYC?! :huh2: :book: /dunce

psbarham
19-03-2005, 07:22 AM
AYC?! :huh2: :book: /dunce
it's something some people use when they buy cars that are too powerful for them :rolleyes4

adam_shaw
19-03-2005, 09:19 AM
Tyres do make a big difference, when I was on the P6000's I could get 2 bars without really trying.

Same stretch of road now with the F1's and I rarely see the lights at all.

But it is a great puncture monitor, it also tells you when you have the emergency spare on (40mph, 2 lights)

A

psbarham
19-03-2005, 09:55 PM
just come back from my first go in a vr4 (many thanks john) 2nd roundabout 3 lights, WOO HOO !!!!!!!