PDA

View Full Version : Replacing rear rotors - grrr handbrake!

Jezzza
14-07-2017, 09:25 AM
Hi all,

Trying to replace my rear rotors/discs on my 98 Legnum
My handbrake is OFF.. and I have tried using a M8 bolt to "pull/push" the disc off. It just seems stuck (not on the hub, but on the handbrake assembly)

I can pull the discs about 1/2 way up the wheel stud, then stops and becomes "elastic", meaning I can put force on it trying to pull it off, but when I let go will spring back 1/2 way up the stud

Am I missing anything here? From my experience, the rotors should just slide off?

Thanks

peter thomson
14-07-2017, 10:48 AM
You will need to back off the hand brake adjuster a bit for them to come off. The adjuster is behind a rubber grommet near the bottom of the hub

Davezj
14-07-2017, 10:59 AM
If the grommet is missing it will be large ish hole in the disk inner raised surface and the adjuster is at the bottom at about 6 o'clock position.

Rotate the disk until the hole is at the bottom.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

Jezzza
14-07-2017, 02:11 PM
Ok thanks. Is the adjusted like a geared sort of adjuster? (Have done this on my soarer)

Davezj
14-07-2017, 03:06 PM
Yes there is a toothed wheel inside just keep turning it with flat blade screw driver and depeding on if you go up or down it will tighten or loosen.

Nick Mann
14-07-2017, 06:28 PM
https://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?5507-Galant-Workshop-Manual-PDF-s-x-26

Check out chapter 36 - Parking Brake.

This is just one helpful diagram that will explain the toothed ring:

Davezj
15-07-2017, 07:21 PM
If you are going to take the hand brake shoes apart
Here is a very useful tip.
Look at part 8 in the picture shoe hold down cup.
Take a short amount of time and modify it.
Get a needle file and file 2 notches in either side just big enough to get the jaws of a pair of long nose pliers in the notches.
This will make refitting the shoe hold down cup easy to fit as it will not slip out of the pliers jaws.