PDA

View Full Version : VR4 Modification

kitefighter
19-03-2005, 04:14 AM
Hello All.

I have just had fitted a carbon fibre NACA duct on the bonnet to help feed in cold air to the HKS Super Power Flow Air Filter.

I will be taking it out for a speed trial this weekend to see if it makes any difference.

Any other VR-4 owners out there who have tried this method to feed cold air to a HKS filter?

Regards, Humayun.

PS: I took a photograph of the NACA duct on the car but the image is too large to attach here. I can email what it looks like if anyone is interested.

bernmc
19-03-2005, 06:04 PM
PS: I took a photograph of the NACA duct on the car but the image is too large to attach here. I can email what it looks like if anyone is interested.

Send it to me and I'll edit it or you and post it here if you like. bernard at bernmc dot freeserve dot co dot uk

bernmc
23-03-2005, 09:06 PM
Here we go then: Pics from kitefighter...

kitefighter
24-03-2005, 03:17 AM
Thanks for posting the pictures. Anyone else tried feeding cold air to a modified air filter? If so, did you notice any difference in performance?

KiteFighter

ThEbIrDmAn13
24-03-2005, 03:38 AM
honestly i don't think that would make much of a difference...the engine compartment will still be pretty warm, maybe a tiny bit cooler, but not enough to make any large difference, but it looks good :thumbsup:

BraindG
24-03-2005, 09:58 AM
ive got a 4 inch bendy pipe coming up from lower bumper right infront of filter..
theres a plan to move the shroom to the battery area.. but as yet, thats not been completed..

i3ooyah
24-03-2005, 11:53 AM
looking good, thought about painting it black? i have one on my bonnet as well & it felt like it made a difference

Louis
24-03-2005, 12:32 PM
Just for general info, we had snow in the uk and low tempratures a couple of weeks back, there was a good snow fall in the evening and frost overnight, so when I came out to the car in the morning there was about 2 inches (5cm) of frozen hard snow on the hood, I drove 30 miles to work and when I got there the only ice / snow on the hood that had melted was a diamond shape right above the air filter box, no melted snow any where else on the bonnet, just above the airbox, anybody else notice this?. I am getting some thermal matting to wrap around the airbox to try to keep the heat away. I was quite surprised by this, I would have thought that the area above the engine would have been hotter

AllBeItMine
25-03-2005, 11:12 PM
Just for general info, we had snow in the uk and low tempratures a couple of weeks back, there was a good snow fall in the evening and frost overnight, so when I came out to the car in the morning there was about 2 inches (5cm) of frozen hard snow on the hood, I drove 30 miles to work and when I got there the only ice / snow on the hood that had melted was a diamond shape right above the air filter box, no melted snow any where else on the bonnet, just above the airbox, anybody else notice this?. I am getting some thermal matting to wrap around the airbox to try to keep the heat away. I was quite surprised by this, I would have thought that the area above the engine would have been hotter

i think you will find its not so much the heat the engine is generating, but the wind that passes over the bonnet that caused this.

while sitting still, the engine heat will pretty much heat the bonnet in a pretty even way. but as you are driving, the cold air you pass through only touches/rubs up against the bonnet in certain places. The places it touches should still be cold.

ThEbIrDmAn13
26-03-2005, 03:06 AM
well, my full caron hood/bonnet keeps my engine temp so low on the gauges that it doesn't even read above the C anymore...it was always in the middle which is normal, but now with he full carbon EVO VI it never even gets really warm...the full hood/bonnet is a great investment... but that carbon air induction is a good cheap investment to pass more cold air through