PDA

View Full Version : possible blown ecu, help needed

Mikeiesener
06-01-2018, 06:29 AM
tonight i connected the car to ecuflash via an openport 2.0 purchased direct from tactrix. i was able to pull the rom onto my computer, at which point i saved the stock rom, changed the speed limits up from 180. test ecu flash worked ok but when i go to flash ecu it runs out of memory. unable to re upload original rom. car refuses to run will just turn over. could this be an issue with a half written rom on the ecu or did i brick the damn thing? all fuses are ok

elnevio
06-01-2018, 09:26 AM
Not heard of a VR-4 ECU being bricked. They seem to be pretty reliable and resilient things. Hopefully, a couple of the guys used to remapping ECUs may have some ideas/pointers. Initial thoughts, maybe foxdie ?

foxdie
06-01-2018, 02:13 PM
Hi both.

I've seen enough ECUs bricked to always keep a spare nearby when tuning.

I've never seen out of memory when flashing though. I've seen CRC and a couple of other errors such as unable to write but not out of memory.

What software was it and what's the model number on the main chip ie. MH7202F ?

High res pics of the board would help too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Amonlym
06-01-2018, 05:35 PM
If you cant re-upload the original rom as well as your modded one, i would assume something wrong with the flashing process rather than a genuine out of memory (eg, oversized rom). Are there any specific settings needed for the ECU's? I know when doing embedded rom on computers and PLC's sometimes you have to write to multiple banks in sequence or disable parity bits for the write cycle and other wierd stuff like that.

Mikeiesener
20-01-2018, 02:02 AM
what it ended up being was low battery voltage. lights on and cold weather brought the battery low enough to the point where it could test write ok but not finish a reflash. charged it up and good to go.

elnevio
20-01-2018, 07:29 AM
Love an easy fix! Glad it's sorted and not goosed /yes

94000 Miles
21-01-2018, 05:05 PM
Oh Great stuff Mike! Good to hear the solution. I'm looking into venturing into the world of ECU's later this year and little problems like that would have been a day of extreme worry and swearing /Grrr

Cheers, welcome to the Club.