PDA

View Full Version : you want grip ?? try Elvington.

SGHOM
20-03-2005, 08:54 PM
As promised, I popped up to Elvington airfield today to watch the 1st RWYB of their season. /yes I was hoping there would be some of the 200+ club members testing today, ie; Rocket Ronnie, Simon Norris, but sadly not.

most of the cars were skylines..................... dozens of them !! apparantly one of them recorded a 10.3 sec !! but I was not there in the morning to witness it .

anyway, a lot of the front wheel drive brigade were getting bags more grip than you can at santa pod. after all, It's just a concrete airfield ! :rolleyes4 A couple of hamster type R's were running mid 14's, whereas at the pod they struggled to break 15's ! a split second of wheelspin as they dropped the clutc, & then the rough concrete got a grip of the tyres !

We really ought to try & book a club VR4 event there one day. [ I'll look into it ]

quickest run of the day was...........obviosly......... a bl**dy bike /help 9.1 secs I think ? I did also manage a chat with Jackie, :inquisiti with all respect, at her age, she ought to be at home looking after the grandkids, or knitting or something !! she can barely reach the handlebars, & has had the seat specially lowered !! but..................... you couldn't keep her off the track, & recorded a best of 10.1 secs @ 152 mph !! on a Suzuki bandit turbo !! /help :rolleyes4 :thumbsup:

Kieran
20-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Sounds like a plan. I'm geting fed up with Santa Pod's crappy drag strips! /grr

Kieran
20-03-2005, 09:03 PM
Whens the next event? :inquisiti

SGHOM
20-03-2005, 09:10 PM

still looking for detail about Elvington, but peruse this at your leisure. :thumbsup: plenty to do !!

http://www.trackdays.co.uk/calendar/

SGHOM
20-03-2005, 09:13 PM
or here !

http://www.easytrack.co.uk/guides/elving.asp

bernmc
20-03-2005, 09:29 PM
Where exactly is Elvington then? And those trackdays, when they say 'free tuition', wot does that mean eh?

SGHOM
20-03-2005, 09:50 PM
Where exactly is Elvington then? And those trackdays, when they say 'free tuition', wot does that mean eh?
Elvington is near York, east Yorkshire. not the prettiest place to be at, but for racing & testing, It's the dogs danglies !! :thumbsup: /yes
As for free tuition ?? missed that bit !! ang on. :rolleyes4

Jimbo
20-03-2005, 09:54 PM
Elvington is near York.

Not sure I'd be too keen on a normal trackday there - don't like the idea of all those stone chips - but if ever there's an occassion like last time when we had that open area, count me in :thumbsup:

SGHOM
20-03-2005, 10:05 PM
Elvington is near York.

Not sure I'd be too keen on a normal trackday there - don't like the idea of all those stone chips - but if ever there's an occassion like last time when we had that open area, count me in :thumbsup:
They dont do track days as in 'track days' Jim. :embarasse It will be an open area set out with Heaths............................................ ................err..................... I mean cones !! :embarasse :thumbsup: [ sorry Jane ] same as last time.

for those who have not been, or think, uugh :rolleyes4 an open airfiled ?? dont knock it 'till you've tried it !!

bensonsnuts
20-03-2005, 11:26 PM
Elvington is near York, east Yorkshire. not the prettiest place to be at, but for racing & testing, It's the dogs danglies !! :thumbsup: /yes
As for free tuition ?? missed that bit !! ang on. :rolleyes4

Hey great . Less than an hour away . Nice and close for me . Hope a few people are up for it .
Elvington may not be pretty but there's plenty of nice places in the area if anybody wants to stay local .

HJM
21-03-2005, 12:02 AM
They dont do track days as in 'track days' Jim. :embarasse It will be an open area set out with Heaths............................................ ................err..................... I mean cones !! :embarasse :thumbsup: [ sorry Jane ] same as last time.

for those who have not been, or think, uugh :rolleyes4 an open airfiled ?? dont knock it 'till you've tried it !!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Cones don't hurt - trust me :smug: and even a lowered VR4 can cope with the grass :embarasse

Elvington was great (apart from the fact it was 300 miles away :rolleyes4)

Go for it :thumbsup:

wirdy
21-03-2005, 12:19 AM
It's all ok for you tiptronic lot....

did Elvington claim any clutches or diffs (like that accord type R last time I went?)

Kieran
21-03-2005, 02:45 AM
It's all ok for you tiptronic lot....

did Elvington claim any clutches or diffs (like that accord type R last time I went?)

Well, it can't be any worse that racing on the highway, and at the 'Pod you see no end of cars wheel hopping because of the reduced grip levels....

Polabear
21-03-2005, 08:37 AM
I used to go here a lot in the 70's, http://www.shakespearecountyraceway.com/ had some great rwb and racedays..... :thumbsup:

zentac
21-03-2005, 09:29 AM
The next RYWB day at elvington run by the 200+ club will be 10th april.

wirdy
21-03-2005, 12:48 PM
Well, it can't be any worse that racing on the highway, and at the 'Pod you see no end of cars wheel hopping because of the reduced grip levels....

Not quite Kieran. :smug: Remember this is taxiway and aircraft servicing platform - a bit different to normal highway & layed to have a much higher mu (friction) rating.....

Elvington is old & mainly concrete too, you should try the grip on a modern airfield!!! the runways are tested every day on an active airfield with a mu tester (towed behind a truck).

/very sad knowledge. :embarasse

enigma
21-03-2005, 12:55 PM
Many people claim better grip at Elvington than at the POD........I am confused, the POD is one of Europes best Drag Strips and is glued regularly, I have always found it very sticky! If 5000BHP top Fuel cars can get grip a 170BHP saloon car should have no trouble - if its set up correctly!

zentac
21-03-2005, 12:58 PM
Many people claim better grip at Elvington than at the POD........I am confused, the POD is one of Europes best Drag Strips and is glued regularly, I have always found it very sticky! If 5000BHP top Fuel cars can get grip a 170BHP saloon car should have no trouble - if its set up correctly!

Yeah but top fuel dragsters run slicks and can get the heat into them propperly before a run, 300+ bhp FWD cars carnt ;)

enigma
21-03-2005, 01:11 PM
You should be able to get plenty of heat in your slicks! You have more than enough power to break traction and can sit there as long as it takes to get heat in!

wirdy
21-03-2005, 01:34 PM

I think the RWYB meets at Santa Pod must be like having to clear up after a house party full of little-known colleagues - pi$$ing in your plant pots, food down the toilet, fag burns in the carpet, spilt drinks on the sofa.

A necessary evil to generate revenue, but the strip must need some serious TLC to get rid of the rubbish/oil/ fluid that is laid by a few hundred road cars.

I'd guess the strip isn't at it's best on a RWYB meeting.

/hypocrite....how would I know - I haven't been down it yet?? :embarasse :embarasse :embarasse :embarasse :embarasse :leer: :leer: :leer: :leer:

SGHOM
21-03-2005, 09:47 PM
It's official..............all bikers are stark raving bonkers !! I mean, look at this guy ?? he did the 1st 200 yds on two wheels before he got control of it !! :embarasse
Also, there were itsy bitsy tiny Gilera mopeds running !! the sort that deliver your pizza on a friday night !! half way down on one wheel, & running 13.5 secs @ 95 mph !!
best run of the day was a 1930's Rudge special !! [ its a bike ?? I think :embarasse ] with a proper gear lever !! WTF ! ran a 27.4 @ 46 mph !! thats more like it ! :thumbsup: