PDA

View Full Version : NZ decat pipes

dickytim
21-03-2005, 06:47 AM
Would any one be interested in one of these I am having some made up cost will be around $150 ready to bolt on (bloody easy).

Let me know what you think

NZ ONLY please.

ako
21-03-2005, 08:17 AM
Why are you paying so much? Pit stop have taken the cat out of all my cars for $50, every time.

_simon_
21-03-2005, 08:26 AM
Does that mean you can stick the cat back in if you need to, ie to get a warrent if they bring in the emission laws that I been hearing about for all cars not just new imports.

dickytim
21-03-2005, 09:13 AM
Simon, yes that is correct, you can take it out and put it in at will, only takes a 19mm and 17mm spanner a jack and 20min.

It costs well over $50 just in flanges, new gaskets and tubing let alone my guys labour to make them, $150 is a guestimate at this stage and may be cheaper if more people are interested.

Kenneth
21-03-2005, 09:43 AM
yeah, im interested

Gly
21-03-2005, 11:18 AM
just so evryone knows, the cat law only affects cars first registered in NZ after december 2003, before this you can have no cat AFAIK...

but if they bring in emission laws you will probabilly need it in anyway

enigma
21-03-2005, 11:44 AM
I will get the dimensions to you soon.......been busy! ;)

Out of interest are you making them from stainless or mild steel? My flanges cost about $45NZ EACH!

_simon_
21-03-2005, 12:32 PM
Does first registered mean brand new or does it include imports. ie I brought my Legnum in 2004 so does this mean I can't decat it?

Trow
21-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Hmmm, yep am interested to

Gly
21-03-2005, 08:19 PM
Does first registered mean brand new or does it include imports. ie I brought my Legnum in 2004 so does this mean I can't decat it?

includes imports... legally your not aloud to de-cat,

p1_
22-03-2005, 01:30 AM
Interested - will it make much difference - to sound or performance??? :inquisiti :inquisiti

dickytim
22-03-2005, 05:35 AM
Ako, out of interest did Pit stop give you back your old cat ?

Everyone else, As far as I know there is no laws on cats at this stage, You can still replace it for a warant quite easily.

ako
22-03-2005, 06:09 AM
Yeah they did give me back the old one, I've got a pair of the things in my garage... Can't bear to throw stuff away!

And word from LTSA itself (dads manages an AA wof place) - you dont need a cat to get a warrant, godknows where that came from. No matter what year, its not something they check for - maybe in a year or two's time once the anti-emmissions laws actually come into play.

v8killa
22-03-2005, 06:26 AM
I'm interested too

dickytim
22-03-2005, 08:40 AM
so far I have interest from the following people

Simon
Kenneth
Trow
P1
V8KILLA
Konman

To make this viable, I need to get 10 done at a time not including my prototype.

BDA, these will be made from the same material as the standard exhaust Mildsteel, the pipe is Mildsteel with the exhaust coating stuff. and include a couple of bolts to mount nice and easily and flange gaskets.

ShadyNZer
22-03-2005, 09:13 AM
can someone explain what a decat does?? im noob i know....

ako
23-03-2005, 01:29 AM
Its just a straight peice of pipe, the "cat" in your exhaust doesn't meow, its a catalytic converter, converts all the nasties in your exhaust gas into slightly less nasties, on the downside in some cars it can be a slight restriction. Hence it gets removed.

Kenneth
23-03-2005, 01:53 AM
It also restricts the exaust flow, which for a turbo car is an excellent way of inhibiting performance

konman
23-03-2005, 02:54 AM
sign me up too

ako
23-03-2005, 06:10 AM
It also restricts the exaust flow, which for a turbo car is an excellent way of inhibiting performance

I already wrote that. Plus, in some cars it doesn't do anything for restriction - notably late model nissans. Before and after dyno testing has proven repeatedly that they gain nothing.

dickytim
29-03-2005, 08:02 AM
OK guys after doing some research on what Ako had to say it looks like he was almost right, I spoke to a local pit stop, he said $70-80, I then spoke to the very helpful Allbeitmine, about getting these done by his contact at Pitstop Newmarket, Lance who has been really helpful to us already, has come to the party again offering to make up a batch (minimum 6) and sell them to us for $65. I will be taking in my cat as a template, then picking them up and couriering them out for the $65. I want to make it worth Lances while so I will keep this open for a week and then start to collect the $$$$$, hopefully with this new price we can get atleast 10-15, lets get behind this guy who gets behind us.

Please post here if you are genuinely interested, and can have the money by the 16th April or sooner.

Kenneth
29-03-2005, 08:23 AM
me! :thumbsup:

AllBeItMine
29-03-2005, 09:16 AM
Hey - when i talked to Lance and asked him for a price, i think we were under the impression he was keeping the cats - which he sells onto wreckers/metal collectors for a bit of cash... but he also thought he was doing the labour of fitting them so hopefully the price wont change.

Will double check tommorrow.

I have to agree with AKO on this one also - i don't think its a going to be a GAIN worth $60-70 plus the time fitting it.

_simon_
29-03-2005, 11:40 AM
I'm in

p1_
01-04-2005, 01:56 AM
Keen to know the price for the item, with or without fitting, with or without Cat trade in, before I commit.

Trow
01-04-2005, 02:43 AM
am keen, and can give you money anytime you want.. am keeping my cat tho

dickytim
01-04-2005, 06:44 AM
OK the price is $65 not fitted, this is an easy job to do if you have a jack and a 17 and 19mm spaner or socket, all that you will need is 4 bolts as the cat has threaded flanges on one end and studs on the other.

When I spoke to Lance and he said he could make up a jig from my cat and make the up for us, the $65 is for one of 6-10, the price for a one off would more than likely be a bit more.

ako
02-04-2005, 02:41 AM
Its worth it for the noise at least - the car loses a trace of smoothness, gets a bit more "raw" when you've got your foot up it. Always a good thing :D

p1_
03-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Mid April should have some more dosh /yes

Will need someone in AKL to fit though - most work I've done personally on my leggie was putting a new panel filter in - ahem :embarasse

ShadyNZer
03-04-2005, 12:41 PM
yeah ill be keen to buy one, but will prolly need someone to put it in too, most ive done is 'help' put in my 6x9s :(

Kenneth
03-04-2005, 08:42 PM
yeah ill be keen to buy one, but will prolly need someone to put it in too, most ive done is 'help' put in my 6x9s :(

Where abouts you located ShadyNZer? I am sure a member in the area would help out.

Will need someone in AKL to fit though - most work I've done personally on my leggie was putting a new panel filter in - ahem :embarasse

Well, I am on the North Shore also and would be happy to give you a hand.

Could alway do it at one of the comming meets too. 1/2 an hour should do it so long as your existing bolts aren't rusted too bad.

AllBeItMine
03-04-2005, 10:38 PM
a box of beers to the pitstop boys would probably see it in the car... just saying.

KiwiTT
03-04-2005, 10:51 PM
OK the price is $65 not fitted....

Good Work Richard. A lot of members should take up this option.

I noticed a significant improvement in the smoothness of mine. The Turbos just spin up better. An no noticeable increase in noise.

Kenneth
03-04-2005, 11:30 PM
... An no noticeable increase in noise.

Bugger, I was hoping for some extra noise... Nothing too loud, I just want a nice attractive gurgle.

Does anyone know if increasing the exaust flow will keep the exaust manifolds cooler when being pushed hard? On friday night I let my mate drive my car through some windy roads (riverhead / coatsville) which he knew pretty well... and to cut a long story short we flew through at some amazing speeds but when we lifted the bonnet the exaust manifolds and the turbos were VERY bright orange. It was 11pm and these things made my engine bay look like I had orange neon lighting

My logic says that it must help the manifold stay cooler, but I just dont know how much difference it will make.

p1_
04-04-2005, 02:01 AM
Thanks Kenneth & Allbeitmine - its good to know :thumbsup:

KiwiTT - who is Richard? :p

Kenneth
04-04-2005, 03:04 AM
KiwiTT - who is Richard? :p

Hehe, confusingly both KiwiTT and dickytim!
In this case its clear who is talking about who though :)

dickytim
04-04-2005, 08:11 AM
Kenny there is a bit of extra noise but our cars are actually quite well sound deadened, this means you can only really hear it when you load the engine up or in the morning when you first start it up. As with Kenny I am willing to help anyone who wants help to it these (in Auckland anyway.) And when I am down at the mount in Late may

ShadyNZer
13-04-2005, 01:23 AM
Where abouts you located ShadyNZer? I am sure a member in the area would help out.

Could alway do it at one of the comming meets too. 1/2 an hour should do it so long as your existing bolts aren't rusted too bad
i live in south aucks...are u goin to the hamilton run?? if its only half hour maybe be able to do it there??

Kenneth
13-04-2005, 01:49 AM
i live in south aucks...are u goin to the hamilton run?? if its only half hour maybe be able to do it there??

Yes, I will be attending the hamilton run.

You got a de-cat pipe to install? no point in taking it out unless you got something to put in its place (unless of course you want to drive around with a chunk of your exaust missing... could be fun )

Kenneth
13-04-2005, 01:50 AM
whats the status of these decat pipes anyway?

AllBeItMine
13-04-2005, 02:33 AM
lance is back from holiday on Tuesday next week 18th April.

Dicky needs to take him in enough cash to make up 6-8 of these things before he will start. So for anybody that wants them you will need to get your money to dicky.

once he has the order, it will only take him around 2 days to turn them around.

p1_
13-04-2005, 04:26 AM
What was the final amount and how do we get the cash to Dicky - is he going on the Hamilton run?

Help. :embarasse

dickytim
13-04-2005, 07:29 AM
The final price is $65, I will be collecting $$$ on Sat, also you can transfer it to me of send a cheque, You will need to get your own bolts, If you need account details please PM me and I will send them to you, As Andrew said I will be going to see Lance on 23/04 and picking them up about a week later then sending them out on the following Monday. Please PM me with you interest or for account details etc.

Trow
13-04-2005, 08:37 AM
I will pay you at the meet cheers

p1_
13-04-2005, 12:30 PM
The final price is $65, I will be collecting $$$ on Sat, also you can transfer it to me of send a cheque, You will need to get your own bolts, If you need account details please PM me and I will send them to you, As Andrew said I will be going to see Lance on 23/04 and picking them up about a week later then sending them out on the following Monday. Please PM me with you interest or for account details etc.

Thanks will try and make the meet on Sat - otherwise I will PM you. cheers

ShadyNZer
13-04-2005, 08:49 PM
yeah ill pay ya at the meet...probably still goin otherwise ill pm you..

terr

dickytim
19-04-2005, 07:12 AM
I have sent PM's to all those who have expressed an interest, if you are still keen and havent replied yet please pm me asap the order goes in on Sat.
Delivery will be Wed,Thu 3rd or 4th May.

p1_
19-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Thanks - check your PM DickyTim

ShadyNZer
20-04-2005, 09:03 AM
yeah i pm'd ya too

dickytim
23-04-2005, 03:38 AM
Ok guys, for all of you who have paid up, I went in to see Lance today at Pitstop to drop in my cat to be used as a template for the decat pipes, I will be picking them up on Tue week (3rd May) and depending on my work load, sending them the same day, or a day later.

For those who indecated they would like help fitting these, I will send them to you anyway and then contact you to find the best time and place to do this.

KiwiTT
23-04-2005, 06:15 AM
... who indecated ...

Well said. Made me smile. Let us know how the cars feel after the decating.

Trow
23-04-2005, 09:16 AM
/bows down in shame for being slack!!!!

all paid now thought :scholar:

p1_
23-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Looking forward to it - bit smellier I guess, at the rear end?

dickytim
03-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Ok guys, there has been a couple of day delay, I test fitted a pipe yesterday after work and it looks all go, will have them in my hands on Friday, so will hand them over on Sat to those who can make it and post the rest out on Monday. As for the bolts required to fit these you need 4 of M10 X 45 8 flat washers to suit and 4 spring washers to suit, I looked around at dads work (as you do) and unfrotunately couldn't find anything suitable.

ShadyNZer
03-05-2005, 10:38 PM
sweet, since i cant make it to u on sat, whats a place i can get it put in? pitstop or something?

Kenneth
03-05-2005, 11:21 PM
sweet, since i cant make it to u on sat, whats a place i can get it put in? pitstop or something?

See if they will do it for free or maybe a tenner. (or a 6pack)

If not (bastards) then get a mate with some stands to put it on, or get one of the club members to help you out.

Saturday at dickytims is a good oppportunity to get as many as poss done in a short time, but it is by no means the only opportunity you have to get us to help. Personally I am willing to give a hand any time I am available, and have a hydraulic jack and a pair of axle stands to aid the process.

Obviously, if you can get it done for a tenner its not worth the gas to buggerise around.

p1_
04-05-2005, 01:18 AM
Ok guys, there has been a couple of day delay, I test fitted a pipe yesterday after work and it looks all go, will have them in my hands on Friday, so will hand them over on Sat to those who can make it and post the rest out on Monday. As for the bolts required to fit these you need 4 of M10 X 45 8 flat washers to suit and 4 spring washers to suit, I looked around at dads work (as you do) and unfrotunately couldn't find anything suitable.

Guys - due to my hectic schedule (work, selling/buying house etc) can I ask someone to buy bolts for me?

Kenneth/DickyTim?? I'll bring cash on Sat :thumbsup:

Kenneth
04-05-2005, 01:36 AM
Guys - due to my hectic schedule (work, selling/buying house etc) can I ask someone to buy bolts for me?

Kenneth/DickyTim?? I'll bring cash on Sat :thumbsup:

I gotta get some bolts for myself, so I might as well do it.

dickytim: What time do you want us to turn up?

Kenneth
04-05-2005, 05:08 AM
Alright, I got the bolts, nuts and washers. Probably could have gotten them cheaper, but I don't have the time to mess about, besides driving around would use more in gas than what I would have saved.

4 X Nuts
4 X Bolts
4 X Spring Washers
8 X Flat washers

$15.01

Because I realise that with a wife and kids you might be a bit short, I have decided to be generous and knock that 1 cent off! :joker:

p1_
04-05-2005, 06:27 AM
Alright, I got the bolts, nuts and washers. Probably could have gotten them cheaper, but I don't have the time to mess about, besides driving around would use more in gas than what I would have saved.

4 X Nuts
4 X Bolts
4 X Spring Washers
8 X Flat washers

$15.01

Because I realise that with a wife and kids you might be a bit short, I have decided to be generous and knock that 1 cent off! :joker:

Many thanks Kenneth :d :deal2:

Yep - its not the VR-4 that keeps me poor its the family :jester: :jester:

dickytim
04-05-2005, 07:08 AM
1pm would be a good time. See you there.

Simon, I will send yours out Tomorrow, as I have the prototype in my car, Shady I will send yours out on Friday, the other guys I will give yours to you on Saturday when I fit them.

Trow let me know what to do with your eh ?

BTW, Shady and Trow let me know a weekend that suits you guys and we can probably work something out, Next weekend I may have a few hours spare, between bolting my gearbox back in and playing Need for Speed Underground2

Kenneth
04-05-2005, 09:42 AM
1pm would be a good time. See you there.

Simon, I will send yours out Tomorrow, as I have the prototype in my car, Shady I will send yours out on Friday, the other guys I will give yours to you on Saturday when I fit them.

Trow let me know what to do with your eh ?

BTW, Shady and Trow let me know a weekend that suits you guys and we can probably work something out, Next weekend I may have a few hours spare, between bolting my gearbox back in and playing Need for Speed Underground2

I think Trow wants me to bring his back to the shore with me... NFSU2 eh? Good game. Downloaded it a few monts ago :P

dickytim
04-05-2005, 07:50 PM
yeah it is an good game full of rice, a good laugh but good game play as well

p1_
04-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Top game - a real hoot - no VR-4 though :sad3:

see on sat at 1300

Kenneth
04-05-2005, 08:24 PM
yeah it is an good game full of rice, a good laugh but good game play as well

I definatly get the impression it was aimed at the US market... I get a bit annoyed at be refered to as "dog" all the time.

and the voices at the performance shop sound like half retard half pimp :P

lol

Did you know that if you jump another car, its worth 1000 points? I also got 1000 points for a burnout out of one of the specialty shops. Was in a TT and came roaring out, did a hand brake turn and at the same time got some air. landed on the street and then just burnt off. bit of a fluke I think, but the computer decided it was good enough for 1000 :D

Cheap way to fill on nitros is to just turn the rear view on and back down the road for a bit

ShadyNZer
04-05-2005, 10:02 PM
can only get sundays off as im working most saturdays, i wouldve come this sat but gotta shoot back down to Tok...next weekend sunday all good? or can u only do saturdays?? i pm'd with my membership thingy too :thumbsup:

Cheap way to fill on nitros is to just turn the rear view on and back down the road for a bit
drafting is too :thumbsup:

dickytim
05-05-2005, 06:40 AM
Shae, I will see if Trow wants to do it on a Sunday, and get back to you

Kenneth
05-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Shae, I will see if Trow wants to do it on a Sunday, and get back to you

as far as i know, ill be picking up trows and brining it back to the shore with me...

dickytim
05-05-2005, 07:50 PM
yes Kenneth you will be taking it over to the Shore, I will be doing some fitting on Sun 22nd May for Shady and Trow.

_simon_
06-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Got mine today, thanks.

Not sure when I'll fit it got a few busy weekends coming up.

ShadyNZer
07-05-2005, 03:55 PM
yes Kenneth you will be taking it over to the Shore, I will be doing some fitting on Sun 22nd May for Shady and Trow.
sweet as, cheers...
did u get my payment for membership renewal? :thumbsup:

dickytim
07-05-2005, 09:20 PM
yeah it is in I will send it off tonight

ShadyNZer
12-05-2005, 02:41 PM
hey what time on the 22nd??

dickytim
12-05-2005, 07:46 PM
hey what time on the 22nd??

1pm, give me a chance to do my house work :(

ShadyNZer
16-05-2005, 05:28 AM
sweet as just got mine today...just gotta buy some bolts and sh!t and then wait for the 22nd :-D

ShadyNZer
18-05-2005, 07:21 AM
everything still sweet for the 22nd dickytim??
ahhh what kinda bolts and stuff do i need again? ill go get em tomorro....

dickytim
18-05-2005, 07:46 AM
you need 4 X (M10 X 45), 4 X bolts, 8 X flat washers, 4 X spring washers.

And yeah we are on for Sunday, if you can call me on Saturday, 025 817 857

We can confirm then.

p1_
18-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Got my car back from the garage today - having transmission flush etc, got them to fit the pipe too. Havent really had chance to open her up yet. But thanks DickTim for the effort - nice one mate :thumbsup: /yes

ShadyNZer
19-05-2005, 05:37 AM
how much to get the pipe fitted? might be the same amount in petrol i'd use goin over to the shore...

dickytim
19-05-2005, 06:38 AM
you can call one of the guys from your local pitstop, and I am in Pakuranga.

dickytim
20-05-2005, 11:10 PM
ok for the guys coming over tomorrow

My adress is

6 Raewyn Place
Pakuranga

mob 025 817 857.

Shady, Trow, see you tommorrow.

ShadyNZer
22-05-2005, 06:32 AM
did u get my text man?
bloody missus took off with the car when i was asleep and didnt come home till half 2...shocking man...

dickytim
22-05-2005, 07:04 AM
yeah got your text, sorry my phone can't text, all good.

bradc
29-05-2005, 06:11 AM
I know I'm probably too late, but are there any Decat pipes left, and how much would it be to get one done now? I would need 2, one for myself and one for a friend.

ShadyNZer
02-06-2005, 01:39 PM
you can have mine for $50 if u want....just sitting in my lounge doing sweet f*&k all...was guna get the dudes at pit stop to put it in when they put in my 3" exhaust but meh forgot to take it....