PDA

View Full Version : car still running with out key in ignition !!

frogfish
03-03-2018, 09:40 PM
So after having a flat battery this morning i took it off and charged it put back on all ok , intill i stopped and took the key out and yes the car still runs the dash lights go out and you can not put it in gear. The only way to turn it off was to put the key back in twist it the wrong way ! ( ouch! ) then it was normal , its a pfl legnum auto not had any problems before this any help would be great cheers Ben

Nick Mann
03-03-2018, 10:50 PM
It sounds like a turbo timer is running. Otherwise it can only be a faulty ignition switch.

frogfish
03-03-2018, 10:57 PM
Haven't got a turbo timer so must be the ignition switch is that an easy fix ?

Nick Mann
03-03-2018, 11:48 PM
I've not heard of one failing like that before. I'm struggling to think of another fault that replicates your symptoms.

The switch is easy enough - it sits at the back of the ignition barrel. I'd imagine any switch of any same shape Galant/Legnum would do. It may be worth asking the dealer about a new one as they sometimes fail anyway, although the normal failure is the start position becoming temperamental.

frogfish
04-03-2018, 12:11 AM
Lucky me !! have to say it was really strange i did Google it seems it can be a problem with diesels, thanks

Amonlym
04-03-2018, 08:50 AM
Might be a faulty immobiliser (with a dodgy install) that is continuing to send ignition on signals after key off - does the car have an after-market alarm/immobiliser fitted?

Nick Mann
04-03-2018, 11:06 AM
Good shout, Jake. That's another possibility.

frogfish
04-03-2018, 12:37 PM
No it doesn't have any kind of an alarm or immobiliser on that's the strange thing and it only seems to have happened after I've taking the battery off I don't know if that is just Constance or not !!!

Davezj
04-03-2018, 06:08 PM
No it doesn't have any kind of an alarm or immobiliser on that's the strange thing and it only seems to have happened after I've taking the battery off I don't know if that is just Constance or not !!!Is the car new to you, or have you owned it for a while and you know the car does not behave like this at all ever.

I own my first vr4 from a year before I found it had a turbo timer fitted, it was tucked away under the dash board.
It was not turned on. But funnily I disconnect the battery and the turbo timer reset back to default and turned itself back on so when I turn the engine off it stayed on untill the 3.00 min timer turned the engine off.

Just though I would share.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

frogfish
04-03-2018, 06:21 PM
Funny enough I've had the car just over a year ! And no definitely not had anything like this at all before so my go and start it and have a good search around if it does the same as you said cheers

Davezj
04-03-2018, 06:43 PM
T
Normally turbo timers will run for a max of 10 mins.
But the default is much less time.
However if you have disconnected the battery before and it did not do this then it is probably as said by the others a dodgy ingition barrel.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

Nick Mann
04-03-2018, 06:44 PM
Start it, turn it off and if it still runs time it. Rinse and repeat. If it runs for the same time each time it has to be a turbo timer? Although some turbo timers run for an amount of time they calculate to be appropriate so it changes each time you turn the engine off.

TAR
04-03-2018, 07:15 PM
If its a turbo timer, it will eventually turn off. If you're still waiting after 20 mins, It'll be a dodgy ignition switch!

It's also fairly easy to see the rear of the ignition switch and the short loom which goes to a chunky connector. A turbo timer, if fitted, would sit between this connector and the main wiring loom. So it may be quite easy to spot.

:happy:

frogfish
04-03-2018, 09:12 PM
Cheers guys i dont think i have ever had the battery off before now so tomorrow i will pop out and time it to see if it does turn off !

Amonlym
04-03-2018, 10:10 PM
if it is a faulty barrel, you might get the car to cut out (or bump the starter start) by tapping it/the column with the key out or in the acc position.
I'm also wondering if there is a marginal wiring link or relay somewhere and having the battery off let it cool down and so loosen up or oxidise or burn up when re-energised.

frogfish
04-03-2018, 10:35 PM
So after people saying about the turbo timer there was something in the back of my mind about one when i got it from Japan. And having a loom through some old emails it does say about a turbo timer !!!! So fingers crossed that is it if so is it hard to bypass it ? Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions

Nick Mann
04-03-2018, 11:28 PM
As Tim says, most turbo timers are wired in to the connector at tge back of the ignition switch. Often it is a jumper loom that goes between the standard plug and socket.

frogfish
05-03-2018, 12:39 PM
So it is a turbo timer ! Three mins then cuts out glad is that not something else , but now what are the benefits of one ?

Amonlym
05-03-2018, 02:05 PM
With water and oil cooled turbo's and the petrol price as it stands in the uk - very very little. If you routinely thrash it then park and key off; there is some small benefit in letting things in general cool down a bit - but I am pretty sure it is illegal to leave a running car un-attended in the uk, so you would need to sit in the seat for those 3 minutes anyway.

Nick Mann
05-03-2018, 02:26 PM
Aye.
Drive the last few minutes gently and there is no point at all. I had one on a previous car and gad it set to 30s but just because I liked watching peoples faces as I walked away
In the winter I would set it at 10mins and leave the car to warm up!
On mine if you dropped the handbrake it cut the engine instantly.

Davezj
06-03-2018, 12:29 AM
i only ever used mine in winter to start the car and leaving it running for 10min with the car locked up out side and brew then get in a toasty car for the drive to work as nick said above.

you just need to find the turbo timer now.

i could be in the coin tray in front of the cabin fuse box by you right knee.

or in the sunglasses holder or tucked up in the glove box or in the centre console armrest box.

you would have throught it would be reachable to make changes to the setting.

frogfish
06-03-2018, 11:04 PM
Yes will have to go on a turbo hunt not an Easter egg hunt !! Can't say I've ever seen anything that resembles one