PDA

View Full Version : Camber kits

Gly
21-03-2005, 11:25 AM
i had my legnum since dec 2003. got mags + new tires march/april 2004,
and lowered it not long after...
went for a new warrent last week,
and noticed I have EXCESSIVE ware on the inside of all my wheels...
fronts are worse than the rear, almost down to the canvas...
i know this is coz my car is far to low and this has created alot of camber....

So doz anyone know where i could get a camber kit, at a resonable price to fix my problem??

is there any adjustment in the factory suspension??, to try and save my current tires for a little longer??

-LegnumVR4-
21-03-2005, 08:45 PM
Its ur toe in and out which effects the wear on ur tyres. Camber in the front isn't a problem if ur car is setup right, the rear needs attention due to the large amount of (-)camber when the car is lowered. Best way to adjust the camber in the rear is to place washers behind the upper 'A' arm bolts that fit the arm to the body. 32mm washer with a hole about 12mm in it (large surface are is needed or u'll just compress the metal in the body gaining nothing) placing 2 on each bolt will push the arm out about 6mm which seemed to work for me but i may look at putting some more in there as i still have a bit of clearance with the tyre and guard.

Make sure u get a guy who can 'setup' ur car for a wheel alignment, not just sit it the hoist and 'tweak' the factory settings.

Rhys

Kenneth
21-03-2005, 11:54 PM
yeah, your alignment place should be able to adjust your camber somewhat. Mine was given some more negative camber cause my mate told the dude I liked to thrash it around the corners lol

Gly
22-03-2005, 06:03 AM
Its ur toe in and out which effects the wear on ur tyres. Camber in the front isn't a problem if ur car is setup right, the rear needs attention due to the large amount of (-)camber when the car is lowered. Best way to adjust the camber in the rear is to place washers behind the upper 'A' arm bolts that fit the arm to the body. 32mm washer with a hole about 12mm in it (large surface are is needed or u'll just compress the metal in the body gaining nothing) placing 2 on each bolt will push the arm out about 6mm which seemed to work for me but i may look at putting some more in there as i still have a bit of clearance with the tyre and guard.

Make sure u get a guy who can 'setup' ur car for a wheel alignment, not just sit it the hoist and 'tweak' the factory settings.

Rhys

i thought camber was toe in/out?

so whats wrong with the front end setup of my car??

went into baurepairs (SP?) and said the couldnt do anything bout the camber.

also went to mag and turbo , est. 700-800$ for a set of 4 camber plates fitted...

who sould i go to to get my wheel alinement... needs to be round the manukau area, and no what the standard wheel settings are for my car. any recomendations

-LegnumVR4-
22-03-2005, 06:53 AM
i thought camber was toe in/out?

so whats wrong with the front end setup of my car??

went into baurepairs (SP?) and said the couldnt do anything bout the camber.

also went to mag and turbo , est. 700-800$ for a set of 4 camber plates fitted...

who sould i go to to get my wheel alinement... needs to be round the manukau area, and no what the standard wheel settings are for my car. any recomendations

Front camber isn't adjustable unless u change the upper 'A' arm with an aftermarket arm that i have never seen.

U have too much toe in/out on ur front wheels which would be killing ur tyres. Hard to say which one is the prob from here.

Where did Mag and turbo say where the camber plates would go? Interested to know.

Rhys

Kenneth
22-03-2005, 07:18 AM
I didn't think that camber plates would make a difference for multi-link suspension... arn't they for McPherson struts?

Gly
22-03-2005, 07:40 AM
Front camber isn't adjustable unless u change the upper 'A' arm with an aftermarket arm that i have never seen.

U have too much toe in/out on ur front wheels which would be killing ur tyres. Hard to say which one is the prob from here.

Where did Mag and turbo say where the camber plates would go? Interested to know.

Rhys

i didnt think it was adjustable... so what can cause to much toe on the legnum,
where should i take it to get the suspension bushes?? could these cause a prob??

dont know where... taking the car in there tomorrow... some guys coming into have a look at it

-LegnumVR4-
22-03-2005, 08:22 PM
i didnt think it was adjustable... so what can cause to much toe on the legnum,
where should i take it to get the suspension bushes?? could these cause a prob??

dont know where... taking the car in there tomorrow... some guys coming into have a look at it

Too much toe in is caused by lowering the car, as u lower the car the wheels are drawn in to the centre more causing the tyres to wear on the inner edge. I would get ur setup checked but also if the guy is good he would also check ur tie rod ends and the tie rods ball joint which connects to the steering rack. Any play in them can cause bad alignment.

It doesn't suprise me with Mag and Turbo getting u to shell out $800 for camber plates which will make no difference to the camber in the front. They don't know there cars at all. I would never use them.

Gly
23-03-2005, 06:14 AM
well went to autolign (aka the shock shop) today

had an alignment done, and suspention bushes/components checked,
was all good, except my CAMBER which is

-2.33 degrees on the front, should be between -0.33 and 0.67
-3.49 degrees on the rear, should be between -1.33 and -0.33

Toe and Caster where within limits,

and guess what... you can get a camber kit....
its and offset bush for the upper arms, which will give me another 1.5 degrees...

but at $240+GST per corner + fitting

OUCH!!

so i guess mag and turbo arnt all that bad :thumbsup:

Kieran
23-03-2005, 09:02 AM
Will these help? I know they say that they're for the USDM Galants, but they use the same double wishbbone/multilink setup as the UK and JDM cars...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7960075756&category=33581

-LegnumVR4-
23-03-2005, 10:39 AM

its and offset bush for the upper arms, which will give me another 1.5 degrees...

OUCH!!

Yup been all through that, i could have look at that replacment off set bush but the guy who sets up mine workout that the amount of camber wouldn't harm the tires but the incorrect toe would.

i3ooyah
23-03-2005, 10:42 AM

OUCH!!

when your wrecking $350+ 18" tyres every 5000km's its a pretty good investment

Gly
23-03-2005, 08:11 PM
thanks for that link i3ooyah, ill have a look into getting a set of those for my car, im glad i dont have 18s, only on 17s so there not as expensive