PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler????

pezza
21-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Morning folks...

After the assistance of BDA and NickM fault finding consultants on Saturday at the MMM it seems that my intercooler is knaggered /help

After jacking up the car, I can see that the bracket and metal hose connection part is mangled :(

I looked at prices for the HKS and GReddy to get an idea... :uhoh: :bigcry: :o

I may see if I can get me hands on a 2nd hand unit.. or should I go for a sensible no body mods type upgrade)? .... I have had a quick search on here but not come up with many apart from BDAs post about forge motorsport...

BDA did you make any further enquiries with them?

Cheers

D

enigma
21-03-2005, 11:42 AM
I didn't......but if you are desperate I can pop along with you sometime and get you sorted. In the meantime can you not make good the leak with some pulling and reshaping?

Wodjno
21-03-2005, 11:42 AM
Morning folks...

After the assistance of BDA and NickM fault finding consultants on Saturday at the MMM it seems that my intercooler is knaggered /help

After jacking up the car, I can see that the bracket and metal hose connection part is mangled :(

I looked at prices for the HKS and GReddy to get an idea... :uhoh: :bigcry: :o

I may see if I can get me hands on a 2nd hand unit.. or should I go for a sensible no body mods type upgrade)? .... I have had a quick search on here but not come up with many apart from BDAs post about forge motorsport...

BDA did you make any further enquiries with them?

Cheers

D

Sorry to here bout ya probs PezZ..

Did u give Zedy1 (M) a try as he has a few leggys sitting doing nowt ??

What where your symptoms for finding this out then .. ? was you lacking in power .. ??

Wodjno
21-03-2005, 11:56 AM
Just came accross this site .. think it's in OZ ..

http://www.modyourcar.com.au/advanced_search_result.php?osCsid=a0a6fd81b7f8b583 01e7203f5d111d24&keywords=&search_in_description=1&categories_id=41&inc_subcat=1&brand=&price_range=&car_model=82&car_engine=18&uni=1&x=40&y=16

pezza
21-03-2005, 12:00 PM
Cheers BDA WODJ,

BDA, I had a couple mistu mechanic mates have a look... and one of em thinks that pulling the unit in any direction would open the break even more.. so I think I should replace sooner rather than.... I will check on the net the location of forge...

WODJ I have checked with Mo, he has sold the intercoolers he had unfortunately... :(

The most noticeable symptom was this huge sucking an hissing sound, I mentioned to a few CVR4 members :) I took Nick and BDA out and they confirmed a break in hose or pipe too... The other casualty / symptom is my pocket.... the car is running unbelieably rich now and drinking fuel faster than
the rocket car at santa pod! :rolleyes4

Also noticing that beyond 5.5K the loss in pressure is more or less cancelling the increased boost setting and car revs higher but not really pulling strongly......

Plus NickM was gaining on me at an alarming rate on the A50 on saturday in a lil blat across the roundabouts onto the M1!!!! You got lucky this time!! :leer: :thumbsup:

pezza
21-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Just came accross this site .. think it's in OZ ..

http://www.modyourcar.com.au/advanced_search_result.php?osCsid=a0a6fd81b7f8b583 01e7203f5d111d24&keywords=&search_in_description=1&categories_id=41&inc_subcat=1&brand=&price_range=&car_model=82&car_engine=18&uni=1&x=40&y=16

Cheers wodj,

I had a quick look on here but need to do the *MATH* to convert to get an idea how much they are... Wonder if I wud get slapped for any import tax..

I think the dimensions of the standard unit are in a few posts on here....

I get the impression that ifttin anything other than standard could be a tricky job so need make sure size is as close to stock I guess....

Hmm the temptation is to upgrade slightly tho... depending on costings..
wodja reckon? :)

Wodjno
21-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Cheers wodj,

I had a quick look on here but need to do the *MATH* to convert to get an idea how much they are... Wonder if I wud get slapped for any import tax..

I think the dimensions of the standard unit are in a few posts on here....

I get the impression that ifttin anything other than standard could be a tricky job so need make sure size is as close to stock I guess....

Hmm the temptation is to upgrade slightly tho... depending on costings..
wodja reckon? :)

Currency at the Mo is about $41 to £100 .. Think u would get a bit of import tax but nothing ya pocket couldn't handle .. /yes

I always upgrade when summats broken .. thats why i'm so happy that my exhaust is blowing .. :happy:

enigma
21-03-2005, 12:35 PM
I would upgrade.........In fact I will be upgrading so you could have my old one!!

pezza
21-03-2005, 12:56 PM
I would upgrade.........In fact I will be upgrading so you could have my old one!!

Upgrading to super Boeing 747 size I spect ?

Will that 750x190x75mm size you mentioned before fit without major work you think?

AM tempted to upgrade by a lil but not about the space constraints ...

Hmmm :thinking2

pezza
21-03-2005, 05:20 PM
Are you sitting down for this?

My pal from mistu checked price for mitsu replacement.. and its NINE HUNDRED SQUID! :uhoh:

BDA we need to talk /yes

Wodjno
21-03-2005, 05:45 PM
Are you sitting down for this?

My pal from mistu checked price for mitsu replacement.. and its NINE HUNDRED SQUID! :uhoh:

BDA we need to talk /yes

Like i said .. It's time for an upgrade .. :thumbsup:

Don't you just love it when things break .. :drummer: /yes

DaveLee71
21-03-2005, 09:08 PM
Don't know if this would help you....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7962450411&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Hope the link works

Dave

pezza
21-03-2005, 10:18 PM
Don't know if this would help you....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7962450411&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Hope the link works

Dave

Cheers Dave,

The link worked fine thanx... am wondering about the height of this particular one....

hmmm .. worth keeping an eye on see how much the price rises...

Smokinmasta2
23-03-2005, 11:37 AM
Cheers Dave,

The link worked fine thanx... am wondering about the height of this particular one....

hmmm .. worth keeping an eye on see how much the price rises...

Only £77 at the mo !!!

Smokin.............

pezza
23-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Yup I have been keeping my eye on that....

I managed to take some pictures and its the actual bumper bracket that has been twisted from heavy impact that has damaged the intercooler...

Just wondering what the hell the previous driver drove over or into?? :sad3:

I saw the damage to the stock recirc dump valve which was blitzed (pardon the pun) but dint spot this... :embarasse

Hmm I wonder how much pressure / power I am losing and damage to engine via overfuelling (excess carbon deposit) . I will examine the extent of damage to the intercooler...

Hmm are these units repairable (depending on damage obv) :thinking2 I guess being aluminium this may not be recommended?

borgan
26-03-2005, 09:22 AM
I have a spare std one. Yours for a measly £80. Could meet up this morning at Stirling corner on the A1(M). That's not too far from Harrow. If interested post here before 10.30 today.

enigma
26-03-2005, 09:23 AM
Does this mean you have an uprated one? Where from?

pezza
26-03-2005, 10:01 AM
I have a spare std one. Yours for a measly £80. Could meet up this morning at Stirling corner on the A1(M). That's not too far from Harrow. If interested post here before 10.30 today.

Hello Borgan,

Am actually at stirling corner today... my pals from mistu runs his own garage there out of hours... Will definitely accept that offer of the intercooler if OK...

I will PM you my moby number...

Cheers

D :D

borgan
26-03-2005, 10:09 AM
Got it from hong kong via e-bay. Looked up my e-bay account and I bought it last April from d2power . Total cost with taxes was about £180.

Smokinmasta2
26-03-2005, 10:20 AM
God this guy is cheap!!

Cant you make this fit Dave??

INTERCOOLER (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33742&item=7963963565&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)

Smokin.............

pezza
26-03-2005, 06:44 PM
God this guy is cheap!!

INTERCOOLER (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33742&item=7963963565&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)

Smokin.............

I am not gonna look at that link ... just in case :rolleyes4 :rolleyes4

HOOOGE thanx to Borgan, I managed to replace my busted intercooler :thumbsup:

I now know where all my boost was goin :embarasse

Borgan's car sounds like its gonna evolve into a monster... be warned /help

Thanx to Borgan n Club VR4; saved the day again and provided a happy ending to this saga /yes

Now where was that R32 and S6... time to play again :D

enigma
26-03-2005, 06:47 PM
God this guy is cheap!!

Smokin.............

I have had a quote from him..........cost price for this intercooler is $79US plus shipping :rolleyes4

wirdy
26-03-2005, 07:41 PM
I am not gonna look at that link ... just in case :rolleyes4 :rolleyes4

HOOOGE thanx to Borgan, I managed to replace my busted intercooler :thumbsup:

I now know where all my boost was goin :embarasse

Borgan's car sounds like its gonna evolve into a monster... be warned /help

Thanx to Borgan n Club VR4; saved the day again and provided a happy ending to this saga /yes

Now where was that R32 and S6... time to play again :D

Can you convince your missus that you've saved £820.........to spend on something else?..........:happy: :happy:

Good to hear you're sorted Derek. This wouldn't have happened just two years ago - there simply weren't enough of us around- good on the Club!!!

Makes your £20 mem fee a good investment eh?

pezza
28-03-2005, 10:30 AM
Yeh a solid investment...

Without the collective of knowledge and suggestions etc not sure I would have undertaken ownership! Imagine having to rely on Mitsu for all the answers and parts ?!?!! :rolleyes4

I have been nailing the car since its new lease of life and it goes like a rocket.... I was losing so much pressure from 4K upwards....I managed up to about 125 130 on M1
in places :-policema it just keeps pulling....

Had a mini run in with a 760Li who tried to give chase but too slow to react... It may have been a lil different if he knew what I was up to beforehand... they seem a bit spritely!!! :rolleyes4 for such a big car..

On a slightly different note, does anyone know if many galants/legnumz imported are restricted speed-wise?

Legnum Boy
28-03-2005, 09:11 PM
All Japanese cars are restricted.

Some are removed when they have the speedo conversions done, others, like mine, were not.
You can just buy a little black box that sits near the ECU, or get an APEXi RSM which has a function to remove the limiter... :scholar:

AllBeItMine
28-03-2005, 09:35 PM
I have had a quote from him..........cost price for this intercooler is $79US plus shipping :rolleyes4

its too small. will look silly only taking up half the hole in the mouth of your bumper. go for something longer and shorter.

Smokinmasta2
28-03-2005, 10:44 PM
its too small. will look silly only taking up half the hole in the mouth of your bumper. go for something longer and shorter.

WHAT is a sensible size - a bit bigger than standard?? - dont know what size is there, i'm sure a few of you do??

Smokin.................

ako
29-03-2005, 03:33 AM
As big as you can fit - on a car with response as good as these, you won't notice any additional lag. There is a point where it becomes too big, but just do what allbeitmine has - something that fills up the natural "mouth" the car has, use all the available space.

Plus like he said, it looks bloody stupid if its too small! The stock 8G intercooler isn't half bad, so if you're going to upgrade, make it worthwhile!

enigma
29-03-2005, 08:13 AM

Its the same size as yours?? 600x300x75? $79 US

paulmc
16-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Dave,

Are you saying the guy is now selling these for $79? In his ad is says $178. That seems way to cheap that must only be 50ish quid.

enigma
16-04-2005, 06:05 PM
Thats what his email said! Althugh he is selling them for £125 on Ebay plus £10 to ship to the UK.

paulmc
16-04-2005, 09:59 PM
hmmmm, email sent see what he replies.

RED
17-04-2005, 12:04 AM
Apparently I've heard that the these aren't much cop because the inlet and outlets are in the wrong place ie opposite each other instead of being one at the top and one at the bottom

Wodjno
17-04-2005, 12:30 AM
Apparently I've heard that the these aren't much cop because the inlet and outlets are in the wrong place ie opposite each other instead of being one at the top and one at the bottom

I had noticed this myself ,, but not knowing to much about hem did not feel qualified to chip in my 2 penneth ..i mean thought if it's top to top ,wouldn't it have to be flowing the the air from top to bottom throughout to achieve full cooling efficiency ?? :inquisiti

paulmc
17-04-2005, 12:49 AM
Yeah I see where you are coming from but the evo intercooler is the same set up , it goes in at the bottom and leaves from the bottom. The evo intercooler is good for over 400bhp so must be pretty good. I was thinking of using a second hand evo one but they are still over £200.

paulmc
20-04-2005, 07:05 PM
No reply to email not sure if he is still trading or not.