PDA

View Full Version : Hazard lights not working correctly

BraindG
21-03-2005, 12:21 PM
I have a weird problem with my hazard lights.
maybe someone knows what the problem might be..

ignition off:
You push the button in: nothing
Push the button half in: nothing

Ignition on:
You push the button in: nothing
Push the button half in: left or right side comes on, fiddle about abit and both will come on.

There is power going to the switch.
we took the switch to pieces, in an attempt to locate what the problem might be. Nothing seems out of place. you use a volt meter, on the buzzer setting and you can basically follow the current route. so, from the power in connector, you get a buzzer noise (from tester) on all the exit connections for the hazard lights. which would strongly suggest there is current going towards the indicators. however, nothing happens, unless you fiddle with the button half in/out (when plugged into car)

we have had to "hot-wire" the hazard lights to even get them to work by pushing the button in with the ignition on. so hopefuilly mr MOT will not check them with the ignition off..

so, providing you followed that ok. Any ideas? A relay problem?
How do the electics work for the indicators? are they like the windows? where it sends pulses? or is it a straight on/off situation?

Nick Mann
21-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Seems strange. Intermittant things are never easy to find. I would say if the switch is good have a close inspection of the relay. Anyone know where the relay is? :p

wirdy
21-03-2005, 03:50 PM
Seems strange. Intermittant things are never easy to find. I would say if the switch is good have a close inspection of the relay. Anyone know where the relay is? :p

The relay is lower right (as you look) behind your RH knee-area coin / cubby holder , just above the fuses.

Barry, if it's not the switch and the relay works sometimes, maybe look at your alarm wiring - that normally taps into the 4-way flasher circuit & is more likely to be the problem area. You should be able to work out where the alarm wire is tapped in by looking at the spaghetti behind this relay. Try isolating the alarm from the flashers circuit and see what happens.

Hope your MOT man misses it.