PDA

View Full Version : Tow bar

elnevio
03-04-2018, 09:51 AM
In the absence of any second hand Witter CL73 tow bars popping up for sale, has anybody found any alternative?

I have seen this one (https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F 290690312680) on eBay, which looks a decent price for a new tow bar.

Any experience of it? It looks like it should be the same as the Witter, i.e. to make it fit will require a notch out of one of the arms that fits into the chassis leg to accommodate one of the AYC mounting bolts.

jaspa
03-04-2018, 01:43 PM
There was a CL73 on ebay the other day for £60 or best offer. No real pictures and not alot of info but if it's still there it might be worth while.

I'll see if I can find the link when I get home tonight if it's still available.

Stuart

Edit - Link (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Witter-Two-Bolt-Flange-Towbar-Fits-Mitsubishi-Galant-1997-2003-CL73/292215927357?epid=1210926893&hash=item44096d323d:g:CPcAAOSwB09YGML7)

elnevio
03-04-2018, 05:58 PM
Dammit! I was in Glasgow when I posted this up!! /pan :ranton:

I am now in Oxfordshire...

Quality find though, I didn't even search this time! :thumbsup:

elnevio
03-04-2018, 06:04 PM
Just checked where the seller is, and I was working literally 150 yards away /duh

russhowe
20-01-2020, 04:59 PM
I've just ordered a CL73 bar kit from ebay brand new for £60 (end of line, brand new)
Edit: turns out it's out of stock, refund issued.

What writing kit will work? Equivalent year Galant saloon?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S9 using Tapatalk

djjeckel
22-02-2020, 04:56 PM
Hi all. Just wondered if the tow bar for the Galant estate will fit 2002 Legnum VR4. I am looking at purchasing a Legnum and trying to source a tow bar.
Cheers in advance Guys n Gals

elnevio
24-02-2020, 12:40 PM
I've just ordered a CL73 bar kit from ebay brand new for £60 (end of line, brand new)
Edit: turns out it's out of stock, refund issued.

What writing kit will work? Equivalent year Galant saloon?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S9 using Tapatalk

Missed this!

Tbh, bog standard 7-pin plug wiring will be fine. I ran the wire through the AYC pump wiring rubber bung into the rear wing, as most of the light feeds you need are here. Just need to run an extra wire to the other light cluster for the left indicator (well, two wires, as you are supposed to take a tail light feed from both sides really - although the correct wires for both can probably be located in the loom by the light cluster on the right hand side, but this may necessitate removing more of the interior parts like the entire right hand side carpet section, but having said that, it does make accessing everything in the rear quarter a lot easier as the access hole is much larger!).

elnevio
24-02-2020, 12:43 PM
Hi all. Just wondered if the tow bar for the Galant estate will fit 2002 Legnum VR4. I am looking at purchasing a Legnum and trying to source a tow bar.
Cheers in advance Guys n Gals

The Witter CL73 definitely fits, with only a minor modification to accommodate the two AYC pump housing captive nuts in the chassis rail. The facelift rear bumper does need cutting a little in the centre of the leading edge underneath to fit the bit of the tow bar that the tow ball attaches to: https://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?30948-Towbar-fitting-on-Facelift-Legnums. The PFL bumper needs the exhaust cutout trimming on the inside a little bit to clear the end of the tow bar.

Not seen feedback on any other tow bar designed for the Galant estate, but in theory, fitment should be the same as the Witter.

Tarps87
14-03-2020, 08:52 PM
Out of interest and related to tow balls, does anyone know what the max VR4 towing weight is?

Sent from my Nokia 2.1 using Tapatalk

elnevio
15-03-2020, 01:53 AM
No official figures exist, but the UK V6 estate is a good place to start, or stick to the rule of thumb of 85% of the car's kerb weight, so a loaded caravan of approx 1250kg would be around the recommended max.