PDA

View Full Version : A great Adventure...which nearly started with tears!

bernmc
21-03-2005, 09:11 PM
Well, the day finally dawned, and I was off to the Land of Scouse to fetch my VR4 before the first sparrow was even breaking wind...

Sheepmobile hitched up and ready to go:

bernmc
21-03-2005, 09:13 PM
Logistics Company was easy to find, even without SatNav (donations gratefully accepted :smug: ). I didn't get a chance to take pics of the shipyard itself, but it was packed with flipping' huge 4x4's, and in between, a tasty little motor or two... :leer:

What didn't impress me was they were obviously offloading one of the ships and moving the cars to the yard - cars were being thrashed. And the engines would have been cold :| . There were also a couple of blokes loading up their lorries with around 6 cars each, and they were no better - revving and blasting up to the ramps. Swines.

Anyway, got my leggie :smitten: Battery was flat as expected - quick jump by the men of the yard; petrol well below the empty mark - but I had my jerry can :thumbsup:. Short drive to my trailer where... oh dear... "Legnums may be bigger than they first appear" :inquisiti....

I thought I had a big trailer... but the bloody legnum was bigger. Didn't realise just what monsters these things are :(. Anyway, went on the trailer forward... and banged that offensive little piece of plastic on the front bumber against the winch mount. Argh. Half the car still hanging over the back. Heart beating quickly now... whatamIgoingtodowhatamIgoingtodo :undecided

Car back off the trailer (no mean feat, I tell you - there were literally millimeters clearance between the sides of the car and the trailer mudguards), turn around, and reverse on. Better. Just fits. Too far - can't open sheepmobile boot now. Back in leggie. forward a bit.... at last things seemed ok.

bernmc
21-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Trailer was pretty low, and I'd bent one of the suspension mounts by driving over it (only way to get the car on :() :sick: Meant that the tyres on that side were rubbing - much smelly grey smoke as I set off, which persisted until enough of the tread had worn away. Grrr... brand new tyres too :bigcry:

On the big black motorway, anything over 40 and the darn thing was swaying like a quaker at a sermon. Made for a looooong trip to donnington. Argh. Cheeky flipping lorries too - it's ok when they're holding the whole world up, but not the other way around eh :smartass:

The car seems to be everything I expected (remember, I set off to buy the best I could find, and will have ended up paying over the odds for it). Bodywork looks immaculate, although it was a bit mud spattered from the yard, so there may be uglies lurking beneath :inquisiti ; interior is essentially spotless. It's also less purple in the flesh :thumbsup: The car is a far cry from the rubbish that I've looked at at the dealers over here.

bernmc
21-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Not sure what the story with the shocks is (remember pics/discussion previously). Looks like standard springs with yellow shocks.

EDIT: THey're Bilsteins! Hooray!

bernmc
21-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Cusco rear strut brace - not sure if I'm going to keep that. Depends on how much it obstructs the load bay.

Once I'd got it to Donnington, I couldn't resist a quick blast around the service roads (bit cautious though - I'd only had 5l of fuel!). It's LOVERLY :sweethear Didn't get beyond 100kph, so hard to be too critical, but it felt absolutely tight, and boy did it go! Fan-bloody-tastic!
Dreadful to have to leave it after such a short time :bigcry: :bigcry:

psbarham
21-03-2005, 09:18 PM
looks good mate , not a nissan micra then , hope it goes through the sva ok , don't forget the best place to take it on a good test run is somewhere like lincolnshire , don't forget will you :thumbsup:

bernmc
21-03-2005, 09:19 PM
mmmm. Where the devil is everybody??? I'm only a couple of days late...

psbarham
21-03-2005, 09:21 PM
lol,that things gone to your head already hasn't it :rolleyes4

Jimbo
21-03-2005, 09:23 PM
/lol @ at the last picture :)

Great write-up Bern, wow what an adventure !

So how long will the SVA take to complete?

Trow
21-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Great pictures Mate, hope your happy with it... I suggest you check ALL your levels including the gearbox and transfer box oils, don't be stung like me

Dan_G
21-03-2005, 09:57 PM
I got all excited just reading your description and looking at the pictures.....

great!..... :thumbsup:

Charsworths doing your SVA?........ thats good, it means they probably wont put a big unsightly fog lamp in your bumper.... they'll just hook up the tailgate brake lights to act as yer fog lights....... thats wot they did with mine...

Kieran
21-03-2005, 10:05 PM
Oooh, Innnit exciting!!

SGHOM
21-03-2005, 10:10 PM
excellent write up Bernard !! :thumbsup:
What you need now is a nice long run in it, to Cape town perhaps ?? /yes I'll come with you ! god I miss that place, :embarasse I should have bought a house there years ago. /yes /yes

Nick Mann
21-03-2005, 10:15 PM
Heh! What a shame it was 2 days late! Good photos, hope it goes through SVA quickly and easily.

Then you can click the link in my sig! ;)

paulmc
21-03-2005, 10:19 PM
Well done m8, looks like a smart car hope the sva goes ok :thumbsup:

bernmc
21-03-2005, 10:21 PM
Ta all. Forgot to add: The sheepmobile proved it's worth its weight in gold again - thank goodness for that big red button on the gearlever to engage fuel guzzling AWD. Would never have made it without :)

PSB - you're not going to test MY three little lights :P!!!!!

SVA - yes charlesworths are doing it. Because I'm having a thatcham 1 and underseal it's going to take a bit longer - about 10 working days:bigcry:

I'll go through all the fluids as soon as its ready

Cape Town... *sigh* Sun, sea & sand. Quiet interlec, you're making me homesick!:stop:

pezza
21-03-2005, 10:37 PM
Nice one Bern,

Glad you made it back and had time to take it for a lil spin .. for a moment I thought u managed to get a run around donington circuit !!!!

The last pic is a goodun... *tardis sound as all the other galants from Saturday disappear * :)

Brunty
21-03-2005, 10:53 PM
You're obviously really happy with it, hope the SVA passes quickly and you're enjoying it a speeds above (but not too much above :-policema ) 100kph soon.

Make sure you check the ATF - as well as all the other important fluids - 'cos that would be a heartbreaker!

Car looks good BTW. :thumbsup:

Steve

enigma
21-03-2005, 11:18 PM
Well done m8, looks like a smart car hope the sva goes ok :thumbsup:

I thought this was a smart car?

enigma
21-03-2005, 11:19 PM
I'll get my coat!!!

Anyway great to hear you are finally in possesion of the car-well were for a shor while! Good luck with the SVA and I will see you soon

Race Ya! :thumbsup:

bernmc
21-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Race Ya! :thumbsup:
You'll have to wait until I've got some big furry dice to hang from the rear view mirror. Then my car will be REALLY quick :D!

wirdy
21-03-2005, 11:43 PM
Had to laugh a bit at the photo's of the towing car + trailer +VR4. You must have been over the weight limit there!!!! It's easy to forget the Leggie is a big car, it certainly wouldn't fit on my car trailer.

Glad you got it back safely & that you're a happy bunny.

caishanvr4
22-03-2005, 12:12 AM
Well done bernmc :thumbsup:
Legnum looks tidy. I have to say well done to your sheep mobile too for getting there and back. How was your first blast in your VR4, i bet your still smiling :happy:
Lets hope the SVA is speedy and your back on the road soon.

Physician
22-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Excellent write-up bernmac.

Gawd ........ 10 days wait must seem like eternity.

Rich

p1_
22-03-2005, 01:21 AM
Yep concur with others - great write up - Trigger Mauve you say - couldnt tell that at all from the pics - must be the UK weather :smug: :smug:

Vector
22-03-2005, 04:50 PM
looks nice Bern...

10 days is gonna go so slowww now... :anxious:

bet you can't wait...................

i have at least 6 weeks yet :rolleyes4 loaded onto boat monday

Sulli
22-03-2005, 09:54 PM
Nice one mate - hope to see it on the local roads soon :)
As others have said, put your mind at rest with a full service straight away - AYC,oil and ATF - I did - makes ragging it so much more pleasing :evil2: and worry free :rolleyes4

RED
26-03-2005, 01:26 AM
Nice looking car Bern bet you're like a dog with 2 dodahs /yes Bring her over to Rugby for a looksey and I'll make you a cup of tea :thumbsup:

bernmc
01-04-2005, 09:49 PM
Nice looking car Bern bet you're like a dog with 2 dodahs /yes Bring her over to Rugby for a looksey and I'll make you a cup of tea :thumbsup:

Only if it's coffee :D (Cue father Jack: "Feck Off Tea!"). So thats psbarmyman for BBQ, Red & Marcus for after dinner Coffee, and Sulli for Cigars and a chat ;)

Should be collecting it this coming week, if I can get some time off work
:thumbsup:

psbarham
01-04-2005, 10:04 PM
whens it ready bern ? monday was it ? thats nearly three whole days away . ooh thats quite a time isn't it . sorry mate couldn't help it