PDA

View Full Version : preparation for japfest track day.

SGHOM
21-03-2005, 11:21 PM
I know this event is weeks away yet, but for-warned is for-armed. trust me !! :thumbsup:
On the day, saturday may 21st, you will have NO TIME to do anything to your car !! :embarasse all those who attended last year found this out !! I think it was our leader Barry who managed to get his tyres up to track day pressure, around 40 psi, just in time !! ................well......... one of them !! :embarasse

It will be an early start, & once we are at the circuit we will all have to chip in & help set up the stand. then we have to go for the pre race briefing, even though we have been before, & then the chances are we will be straight out on the track !! :thumbsup:

Just make sure that before the day, your car is fully prepared, ie; empty !! stripped bare, [ if you're really going for it ! ] all fluids, brakes, fuel, etc are checked.

you will need at least 1/2 a tank of fuel.......AT LEAST !! 4 mpg on a track tends to empty the tank pretty quick /yes you will also need brake pads with at least 75% wear left on them !! [ ask Dave about this ! ]
You will also need to tape up your lights [ compulsary ] .

There is a lot to think about & a lot to do on the day. may I suggest that those not racing carry most of the equipment we need in their cars ??

I think It's in your best interests to get fully prepared for the day BEFORE you get to the Ibis on friday night. :thumbsup: /yes /yes

Kieran
21-03-2005, 11:25 PM
Derek is absolutely spot on. I didn't even have time to give my GLS a quick polish before the track sessions started!! :inquisiti :embarasse :embarasse

Seriously - those of you who haven't been before - Take heed... You'll be glad that you did!! :thumbsup:

wirdy
21-03-2005, 11:36 PM
Did you make a New Year resolution Derek?? :speechles :shocked:

PS - can I have my headlight tape back this year please. /yes /yes

SGHOM
21-03-2005, 11:47 PM
Did you make a New Year resolution Derek?? :speechles :shocked:

PS - can I have my headlight tape back this year please. /yes /yes
bu$$er off Nige !! it's mine now !! :embarasse :smug: 10 p, & it's your's !! :rolleyes4

Jimbo
21-03-2005, 11:55 PM
Nige, by the time Silverstone came around he had a boot full of them! /lol

I bet he's the same with lighters too /yes

SGHOM
21-03-2005, 11:57 PM
:embarasse :embarasse :embarasse :embarasse :embarasse /yes /yes

wirdy
21-03-2005, 11:57 PM
bu$$er off Nige !! it's mine now !! :embarasse :smug: 10 p, & it's your's !! :rolleyes4

Bl00dy electricians!! :evil2:

Spirit
22-03-2005, 12:25 AM
Sound advice Derek, and this year we have the addition of erecting CVR4 mansion too :thumbsup:

psbarham
22-03-2005, 12:09 PM
Nige, by the time Silverstone came around he had a boot full of them! /lol

that a bit ironic my missus is the same and they both have a thing about laughing gas too , a connection ??

Big Ian
22-03-2005, 02:11 PM
i'll have some boot space for peep's to keep item's in on the day :thumbsup:

(you should see my list...and i'm not putting my car on the track! :embarasse )

Smokinmasta2
23-03-2005, 05:42 PM
Sound advice Derek.....................

What we need for the track then - same as most track day stuff?

1 Helmet
2 Driving licence
3 MOT?
4 Taped up lights and fix any loose trim?

Smokin................

Kieran
23-03-2005, 05:45 PM
Sound advice Derek.....................

What we need for the track then - same as most track day stuff?

1 Helmet
2 Driving licence
3 MOT?
4 Taped up lights and fix any loose trim?

Smokin................

That's about the top and bottom of it. On the day, you'll need to attend a briefing, sign something to say that you will not hold the track responable if you go and stuff your car into something, and you'll need to pass a noise test too, so if you have a ninja loud exhaust, it may be wise to get a couple of mufflers added.

BraindG
23-03-2005, 06:26 PM
I dont think you need the MOT? atleast i didnt last year...
Derek is so right though.. there is no where near enough time to do everything..

the saying "oh, we still got an hour" will be out the window before you can say, whos got some tape!?

Best thing to do, is bring as much of your own stuff as possible.. i.e. tape, tyre pump etc... to much sharing means running around like a headless chicken.

And yes, it was kinda funny, me being told to get ready as were about to go on track.. then trying to get helemt on with one hand, while removing the tyre pump with the other.. :rolleyes4

SGHOM
23-03-2005, 06:42 PM
question ??
can you drive on the road, in daylight, with taped up headlights ?? [ not indicators ] just a thought. bear in mind we only need to put a couple of strips of tape on them.
For the uninitiated, It's to prevent the glass from shattering in the event of an impact, & save time.... I presume... in clearing the track to continue racing.

If we can, may do it night before ! /yes

BraindG
23-03-2005, 06:54 PM
i don't see why you cant...

SGHOM
04-04-2005, 11:31 PM
refurbish my wheels, It's not going a quickly as I planned ! :embarasse

I've bought bigger EVO 8, Brembo brakes, they dont fit at the mo', but a few, very kind, :thumbsup: fellow members are working on a plan to make 'em fit.

I need to get my engine & 'box out to cure my oil leak, once & for all.

my under car neons are f&^%$d, & I gotta replace/repair them.

my AYC is desperately in need of TLC, before it packs up totally. :embarasse

my stickers on the car, relating to custom FX direct, need removing, & replacing with something more suitable. & no doubt that will remove the paintwork also !! :embarasse

The car needs a full valet, as It's been stood in a pub car park for months !! :embarasse

I need to have my NOS refilled & the bottle re-pressurized. [ not that I need it for the combe, I just need to test a few things ?? /yes ]

my car is going to be re-mapped, & rolling roaded, & the boost ........... possibly...... upped a tad ! /yes not just for castle combe, but in preparation for the main event !!
JAPSHOW !! where I regain my title as the fastest, 8G, VR4 in the world !! :evil2: /yes /yes

wirdy
05-04-2005, 12:20 AM
question ??
can you drive on the road, in daylight, with taped up headlights ?? [ not indicators ] just a thought. bear in mind we only need to put a couple of strips of tape on them.
For the uninitiated, It's to prevent the glass from shattering in the event of an impact, & save time.... I presume... in clearing the track to continue racing.

If we can, may do it night before ! /yes

I think this is primarily for normal glass lights - it doesn't really apply to imported VR4's with plastic lenses anyway. There would be more debris from other plastic bits if you ever hit something. I assume its a belt-and-braces thing for everyone to adhere to.

I don't think you can drive on the road with tape on though - lighting regs :-policema :-policema :rolleyes4 :rolleyes4 plod could argue that you could run into a severe storm that needed lights on, I suppose.

Simon
05-04-2005, 04:34 PM
My suggestion to newbies is to at least get hold of a set of DS2500 brake pads.......im starting again at the bottom of the ladder regarding brakes with my new car and suggest the pad material with new dot 4 brake fluid to be a must......in reality most of us haven't time or money to get big brakes at this late stage.

Castle Combe eats brakes. :inquisiti

PS and at least bed them in before the day, ideally 250 miles of "normal" driving....if possible! :rolleyes4

SGHOM
08-04-2005, 09:25 PM
question ??
can you drive on the road, in daylight, with taped up headlights ??

answer/ Yes !! :thumbsup:
technically it's an offence to drive with your lights obscured, but having spoken to the traffic rozzers, they dont know any cop who would even think about stopping anyone for it. :thumbsup:
on the other hand.......... a more 'serious' offence is driving with a race number displayed in your car !! /yes
now................ how many of us last year left our "G20" [ or whatever it was ] stickers in the car ?? I know mine was still displayed weeks later !! :embarasse :embarasse

Smokinmasta2
08-04-2005, 09:59 PM
answer/ Yes !! :thumbsup:
technically it's an offence to drive with your lights obscured, but having spoken to the traffic rozzers, they dont know any cop who would even think about stopping anyone for it. :thumbsup:
on the other hand.......... a more 'serious' offence is driving with a race number displayed in your car !! /yes
now................ how many of us last year left our "G20" [ or whatever it was ] stickers in the car ?? I know mine was still displayed weeks later !! :embarasse :embarasse

Speaking of which derek - can someone make us some nice CVR4 race numbers for the sake of peeps taking pics and the like, some nice big ones for the rear side window or something??

Smokin.............

SGHOM
11-04-2005, 03:33 PM
Speaking of which derek - can someone make us some nice CVR4 race numbers for the sake of peeps taking pics and the like, some nice big ones for the rear side window or something??

Smokin.............
good idea John !! :thumbsup: only problem is, we dont get our race numbers until we go for the briefing on the morning of the race day ! /yes
might be a bit short notice ! :rolleyes4

Smokinmasta2
11-04-2005, 05:06 PM
good idea John !! :thumbsup: only problem is, we dont get our race numbers until we go for the briefing on the morning of the race day ! /yes
might be a bit short notice ! :rolleyes4

No i mean some aditional ones......using the CVR4 font/style.
Perhaps 1 on the front amd one on the back..............???

Smokin.....

Big Ian
08-05-2005, 11:04 PM
seen as i'll be doing close on a 1000 mile round trip i thought i'd write up my "to do list"

at least...
2 new tyre's
full engine service + flush
new thermostat
B/D disc's + predator pad's.....(hopefull of these being here and fitted in time?)
full brake fluid flush and re-new
tracking
clutch fluid change (not to desperate)

wish list (apart from a VR4 :rolleyes4 )
new alloy's?
sorted sound's?
all the above carried out before the 20th May???????? :rolleyes4

also i'd like harder front shock's or a full adjustable set-up /yes (very doubtfull though?)

HJM
08-05-2005, 11:07 PM
seen as i'll be doing close on a 1000 mile round trip i thought i'd write up my "to do list"

tracking

Hey great news Ian, I knew you'd see sense - there are still places available :thumbsup:

J

Spirit
08-05-2005, 11:10 PM
Hey great news Ian, I knew you'd see sense - there are still places available :thumbsup:

J

ROFLMAO hahahahaha :thumbsup: :leer:

Big Ian
08-05-2005, 11:25 PM

J

:laugh: :laugh: " you kill me....you really do!" :laugh: :laugh:..... :sick:

SGHOM
15-05-2005, 11:47 AM
not a prayer of my car being completed on time !! /help
not seeing as I've been in the garden all morning mowing the lawn, trimming the hedge, weeding etc !! :embarasse /yes /yes

psbarham
15-05-2005, 12:07 PM
what have you got left to do to it mate

SGHOM
15-05-2005, 12:28 PM
yes, that is me...is my car... & yes !! I am washing it !! :thumbsup: :rolleyes4 :smug: :smug:

Spirit
15-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Stop wasting time cutting the grass mate and get your arse down to 'Fest /grr :thumbsup:

SGHOM
15-05-2005, 08:19 PM
Stop wasting time cutting the grass mate and get your arse down to 'Fest /grr :thumbsup:
I will be there !! :thumbsup: friday, around 8pm ish !! unlike you ?? :embarasse

Spirit
15-05-2005, 08:36 PM
I will be there !! :thumbsup: friday, around 8pm ish !! unlike you ?? :embarasse

??Gone right over my head that one....do you know of a reason I won't be there ?

SGHOM
15-05-2005, 08:44 PM
:embarasse :embarasse :embarasse
you posted yesterday, " sorry you guys, cant make it friday" ?? I assumed it was you who could not make it, but having read it again, DOH !! /help :rolleyes4 :embarasse :embarasse

Spirit
15-05-2005, 08:48 PM
:embarasse :embarasse :embarasse
you posted yesterday, " sorry you guys, cant make it friday" ?? I assumed it was you who could not make it, but having read it again, DOH !! /help :rolleyes4 :embarasse :embarasse

Ahhh, I see what you mean. I can understand how that was misinterpreted so I have changed the wording lol :thumbsup:

Big Ian
17-05-2005, 12:08 AM
2 new tyre's
full engine service + flush
new thermostat
B/D disc's + predator pad's
full brake fluid flush and re-new
tracking
clutch fluid change (not to desperate)

wish list (apart from a VR4 :rolleyes4 )
new alloy's?
sorted sound's?
all the above carried out before the 20th May???????? :rolleyes4

:thumbsup: ,all done except tyre's (ordered), tracking (once the new tyre's are fitted), clutch fluid (not bothered though) and as a bonus my wife bought me some extra's for the sound department :smug:

RED
17-05-2005, 12:16 AM
All my preperation is done - and it only took me 30 minutes :smug:

Big Ian
17-05-2005, 12:30 AM
All my preperation is done - and it only took me 30 minutes :smug:

:inquisiti ........and it took Marcus a lot longer? /yes

RED
17-05-2005, 12:35 AM
:sunny: /lol
:inquisiti ........and it took Marcus a lot longer? /yes

No :p we haven't touched the car yet :embarasse

No I dyed my hair this weekend - now I'm all prepared for japfest /lol :sunny: /lol

Big Ian
17-05-2005, 12:39 AM
/wall

No I dyed my hair this weekend - now I'm all prepared for japfest /lol :sunny: /lol

/wall /wall , i should av knowin!

HJM
17-05-2005, 07:10 AM
Well done with all the preps Ian (incl the ICE) - I presume our stand is going to be playing Guns n Roses all day ? :drummer:
(fine by me and the wife :thumbsup: )

Looking forward to meeting you and Jaques for the first time this Friday - but I feel that I know you so well already :inquisiti :inquisiti :inquisiti

SGHOM
17-05-2005, 10:51 PM
whats the recommended tyre pressure for racing at combe ??
I'm planning on upping mine on the way down on friday. what do you put in Pete, Simon etc ??

Kieran
17-05-2005, 10:58 PM
I think we added ~5/7 PSI last time? :inquisiti

SGHOM
17-05-2005, 11:05 PM
I think we added ~5/7 PSI last time? :inquisiti
so.......... fronts 37 & 26
backs 29 & 42 ??

/ note to self....... must check tyre pressures more often !! :rolleyes4 :embarasse :embarasse

Smokinmasta2
17-05-2005, 11:21 PM
I was told by an Instructor at Donny, to put in 38-42 front and back (cold pressure) on something like a skyline, EVO etc.

Smokin...............

Spirit
18-05-2005, 07:13 AM
Derek, I usually run mine at 34PSi all round for daily driving - and will probably up them to about 36-38PSi for Saturday.

I know Simon has run his at 42PSi before - but track was damp and it made him spin out !

Jimbo
18-05-2005, 09:40 AM
It's a trade off between grip and tyre wear and it really is a personal thing.

If you want maximum grip, keep em around 32-34, but to protect the side walls then you want to up them a fair bit - how much depends totally on how much you plan to be drifting round the corners ;)

I usually put my fronts to 36 and the rears to 34 - this seems to feel quite balanced. In the wet I recommend you drop them down to 33/31 - you need all the grip you can get!

enigma
18-05-2005, 10:04 AM

mumble mumble collar, mumbl mumble cuffs ;) :inquisiti

Polabear
18-05-2005, 05:26 PM

PMSL @ Dave.... :rolleyes4

Smokinmasta2
18-05-2005, 05:33 PM
It's a trade off between grip and tyre wear and it really is a personal thing.

If you want maximum grip, keep em around 32-34, but to protect the side walls then you want to up them a fair bit - how much depends totally on how much you plan to be drifting round the corners ;)

I usually put my fronts to 36 and the rears to 34 - this seems to feel quite balanced. In the wet I recommend you drop them down to 33/31 - you need all the grip you can get!

Is this the settings to do a 'German conversion' ..............sry Jim, could not resist!!!

Smokin...........

wirdy
18-05-2005, 05:44 PM
Forecast is for light showers throughout the day - will be pot luck for our sessions then.

RED
19-05-2005, 09:49 AM

That's the kind of question you don't ask a lady :P But hey I'm no lady so.......Nah my lips are sealed :rolleyes4

Jimbo
19-05-2005, 11:36 AM
Is this the settings to do a 'German conversion' ..............sry Jim, could not resist!!!

Smokin...........

I'm never going to live this down, am I!

Anyway...BTT...Japfest preparations! Mine will hopefully start this evening so I'm a little behind schedule :embarasse

Seriously though, I've been trying to shake off a 7-week side strain and back aches (mucho oucho!), so I haven't dared exerting myself cleaning the car yet . However, pumped to the gills with Ibuprofen and providing it doesn't rain, we should have a presentable VR4 by tomorrow morning ;)

What else we need? Helmet...check, Sticky tape....steal from Derek as usual, Drivers Licence....check, insurance....very much check, tyre compressor....check, what else?

Oh ar$e....need to find some time to get a bracket welded onto my backbox too!

Smokinmasta2
19-05-2005, 03:10 PM
I'm never going to live this down, am I!

Anyway...BTT...Japfest preparations! Mine will hopefully start this evening so I'm a little behind schedule :embarasse

Seriously though, I've been trying to shake off a 7-week side strain and back aches (mucho oucho!), so I haven't dared exerting myself cleaning the car yet . However, pumped to the gills with Ibuprofen and providing it doesn't rain, we should have a presentable VR4 by tomorrow morning ;)

What else we need? Helmet...check, Sticky tape....steal from Derek as usual, Drivers Licence....check, insurance....very much check, tyre compressor....check, what else?

Oh ar$e....need to find some time to get a bracket welded onto my backbox too!

Have i missed summat m8?? Are ya driving your Ford around the track???

Smokin...........

Jimbo
19-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Have i missed summat m8?? Are ya driving your Ford around the track???

Smokin...........

Yep, you definitely missed something!

Clicky here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8817)

The Mondeo was always my backup plan - that would have been funny. We could have had a bit of CVR4 lottery to see how many laps it would do before the head gasket failed /lol

Smokinmasta2
19-05-2005, 06:26 PM
VERY nice too. You must be another with too much money!!!!

See ya Satdee............

Smokin.............

Big Ian
19-05-2005, 10:54 PM
:embarasse just spent another night getting thing's just right with the humble GLS
hoover'd, dash & door trim's cleaned, glovebox "gutted" (the junk i found in their :rolleyes4 ) wheel's gutted and paint work all washed
:inquisiti all that work and it'll pi$$ down with rain for the 430 mile trip to the Ibis? :embarasse
:thumbsup:

HJM
19-05-2005, 11:07 PM
Well, I just had a phone call from the IBIS at Swindon saying did I still want the room I had booked for tonight :rolleyes4

Err, no love, that'll be tomorrow and Saturday night /grr

Soooo, panic now - have I really booked the wrong nights?

(checks confirmation) - phew - nope - t'is they who are the numpties :thumbsup:

J

SGHOM
19-05-2005, 11:10 PM
I had mine valeted whilst at work today !! :thumbsup: much much easier than getting my hands dirty. they did a damned fine job also, even re-blacking under the wheel arches. ! £25 :smug:
still my front N/S wheel to paint tomorrow, & my flamers to sort........... then I'll be ready ! /yes

Jimbo
19-05-2005, 11:11 PM
VERY nice too. You must be another with too much money!!!!

No mate.....just really, really stupid when it comes to cars :thumbsup:

SGHOM
19-05-2005, 11:14 PM
Well, I just had a phone call from the IBIS at Swindon saying did I still want the room I had booked for tonight :rolleyes4

J
err........... :embarasse :embarasse not booked a room yet !! /help

HJM
19-05-2005, 11:15 PM

WHAT??? You posted the original idea :rolleyes4

Jimbo
19-05-2005, 11:15 PM
Right well......I cleaned the car without incurring any further injuries, so massive bonus there /lol, I then went out and got petrol and the car is feeling good, no noise squealing round roundabouts at 40 and 1 AYC light, so bonus there too....maybe safe for a couple of track sessions?! :inquisiti

BUT!!!!

F£&£ing Stoke on Trent, I hate the place......it's pi$$ing it down now! /help

HJM
19-05-2005, 11:16 PM
F£&£ing Stoke on Trent, I hate the place......it's pi$$ing it down now! /help

If it's any consolation - it is here too :sad3:

Spirit
20-05-2005, 12:14 AM
Same here........ :embarasse

Nick Mann
20-05-2005, 09:54 AM