PDA

View Full Version : Mot

Jimbo
22-03-2005, 03:57 PM
I've always taken my cars to a place in Newcastle (that's under-Lyme folks :rolleyes4 ) for it's MOT. They're rather strict, but they always go out of their way to help you get through.

So having failed to get out of bed early enough on Saturday, and having finished early at ABP Motorsports this morning, I headed over with the VR4 as the current MOT expires the day after I get back from Germany.

Ok, so the first test is done by the owner's daughter - the emissions test - and this is where I knew things weren't going too peachy when she rammed her sensor up my tailpipe (ouch :smartass2 ) then wandered off round the car muttering "well that's gonna fail then"....come again, duck!?! :inquisiti

Sure enough, she wasn't impressed. The "lamda levels were through the roof" apparently. I asked her what the crack was and she said, "well, it's not a standard exhaust is it?" to which I replied (bending the truth slightly), "no, but it's just a stainless replica of the standard exhaust, and the cat's in place too".

She found this quite amusing...."Standard exhaust?!?!" Ok, so yeah, I know it's a 4.5 inch tailpipe, but come on, it's not THAT much bigger than the normal one, it's still got the cat on, and the piping is 2.5inch as opposed to 2.25 - what's the big flippin' deal? :angry:

She then gestured to me making a hole with her hands to demonstrate to me, as I was clearly a nutcase, that a standard exhaust should be, well about 1.0 - 1.5 inches! :o

"This isn't exactly a standard car, though, is it? Have you mistaken this for a normal Galant? You know that big lump you were looking at under the bonnet with TWIN TURBO written on it, surely that would have given the game away?!"

Luckily common sense prevailed when the owner wandered over, told her to not be such a silly (something or other - my young innocent ears didn't understand :baby: ), and set the machine up again, let the car warm up a bit, then tested it and it passed.....phew!

After that it was all good. I hadn't noticed my rear number plate bulbs were out, but even without asking me they had the boot open and started swapping them - that's why I keep going back to them, and they've never charged me these sort of things either. :happy:

HJM
22-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Glad it passed, Jimbo :thumbsup:

So, why did you not manage to get it done on Saturday - late night, was it :rolleyes4

pezza
22-03-2005, 10:59 PM
Nice one Jim!

She sounded like a bundle of laughs! :thumbsdow

Its the size of the pipe that does it everytime :inquisiti :happy:

Hmm reading that makes me wonder how my car passed? With the *slightly* rich mixture I am running :rolleyes4

am looking at this Crypton Gas analysis test that is attached to my MOT certificate:

At fast idle

CO2 is 0.19% the max limit allowed is 0.2 :smoking:
Lambda was 1.00 max is 1.03

I was well within limits at natural idle tho..

Physician
22-03-2005, 11:44 PM
Do me a favour please James.

Send me their address so that I can write to them and ask them to put some rear mudflaps on next time !! :smug:

Jimbo
23-03-2005, 01:07 AM
LOL

Well I definately got my cum-uppance yesterday.....a lorry passed me going the other way on a B-road and something hit me VERY hard as he went by.......when I got home I noticed this:

Physician
23-03-2005, 01:42 AM
Wow!! Lucky that wasn't your winscreen James.
Like MINE was! Hahahaha!

In case we don't talk before - have a wonderful time in Germany pal.

Rich

Jimbo
23-03-2005, 02:12 AM
Cheers Rich....I've just about finished getting my laptop configured and ready - should have plenty of space on there to upload the daily videos and pics from my Ixus now :)

Almost set for the off :thumbsup: