PDA

View Full Version : Wide Band Sensors

mitsiboyblue
02-07-2018, 03:11 AM
Hi guys ,
Can i use a Wide O2 sensor on a stardard 6A13TT ECU and also connect it to a Wideband O2 Gauge. so i can closely monitor my Airflow Ratio.
Dave O

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

hbkuk1
02-07-2018, 06:56 AM
Yes as long as it has an analogue to connect to the car, which most do

Confused
02-07-2018, 01:14 PM
I'd suggest a PLX SM-AFR, which has an emulated narrowband output, so it can replace the default sensor. You can also wire the wideband 0-5v feed into one of the spare pins on the ECU and log this via EvoScan, all the details are in the definitive ECU pinout thread.

mitsiboyblue
02-07-2018, 08:02 PM
I'd suggest a PLX SM-AFR, which has an emulated narrowband output, so it can replace the default sensor. You can also wire the wideband 0-5v feed into one of the spare pins on the ECU and log this via EvoScan, all the details are in the definitive ECU pinout thread.excellent thanks guys ile do some more reading 🖒

mitsiboyblue
02-07-2018, 08:10 PM
I'd suggest a PLX SM-AFR, which has an emulated narrowband output, so it can replace the default sensor. You can also wire the wideband 0-5v feed into one of the spare pins on the ECU and log this via EvoScan, all the details are in the definitive ECU pinout thread.Im asking about this information because when i get the engine running after all my work and before any tune, i need to make sure im driving to a safe limit with the engine.
Theres a few meets and track days id like to attend (not to race but to just show up in mine and chat shop)
So its important for me to get something fitted that a can depend on before hand.
Dave O

Confused
03-07-2018, 07:59 AM
The PLX doesn't require calibration, unlike the Innovate ones do, and therefore are fit-and-forget and you know it'll be right. The narrowband will allow the ECU to continue doing its closed loop stuff, and the wideband output, if also put into the ECU, will allow you to log it along with the other various parameters from the ECU for review later.

Add the gauge, and you can monitor it as you drive :)

mitsiboyblue
03-07-2018, 11:44 AM
Ive read up on Plx and it seems to tick all the boxes for what i need. Think this is my direction to go in.
Have you or someone you know used this unit, it mentions about a 'soft start' function ?
The PLX doesn't require calibration, unlike the Innovate ones do, and therefore are fit-and-forget and you know it'll be right. The narrowband will allow the ECU to continue doing its closed loop stuff, and the wideband output, if also put into the ECU, will allow you to log it along with the other various parameters from the ECU for review later.

Add the gauge, and you can monitor it as you drive :)

Confused
03-07-2018, 11:49 AM
I've got one fitted to my Anglia. It gives me a 0-5v output into my Link ECU, which is what I wanted.

Not sure what they mean by "soft start", at a pure guess I'd say it's probably marketing speak for the warmup cycle that all O2 sensors must go through, maybe they ramp up the current to the heater circuit ever so slightly differently.

mitsiboyblue
03-07-2018, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the advice it really helps in making a decision /right choice. Thats what i want i have.... is accurate fast air flow readings but at the moment the gauge is wired up to the standard O2 sensor but it only shows the 0-1 volt up & down which is pretty useless.

I've got one fitted to my Anglia. It gives me a 0-5v output into my Link ECU, which is what I wanted.

Not sure what they mean by "soft start", at a pure guess I'd say it's probably marketing speak for the warmup cycle that all O2 sensors must go through, maybe they ramp up the current to the heater circuit ever so slightly differently.

Nick Mann
05-07-2018, 08:08 AM
I have used plx for a decade and I would happily buy it again. You can't adjust the narrowband output to try and run slightly lean on cruise but in every other respect I think it is spot on. The number of innovate units that cause headaches compared to plx makes it a no brainer for me.

mitsiboyblue
05-07-2018, 09:57 AM
I have used plx for a decade and I would happily buy it again. You can't adjust the narrowband output to try and run slightly lean on cruise but in every other respect I think it is spot on. The number of innovate units that cause headaches compared to plx makes it a no brainer for me.Valuable info can i get a copy of this operating manual anywhere with all its functions and wiring? So i can study it a bit more. 🖒

Nick Mann
05-07-2018, 08:03 PM
If you are going for a standalone ecu then narrowband emulation tweaks are pointless. It's only really relevant if you want to fool the stock ecu.

No idea on manuals, have you checked their website?

mitsiboyblue
05-07-2018, 08:15 PM
Tuning isnt my forte everything else im ok with. Eventually i would like to go stand alone but for now id be happy with little tweeks. if i fry the pistons again.... i think its game over as the costs of ignorance and my pocket just dont match lol
I know Ile need advise and lots of it along the way. i also know with the mods ive done ive got to get extra fuel in there some how and it needs closer monitoring.

If you are going for a standalone ecu then narrowband emulation tweaks are pointless. It's only really relevant if you want to fool the stock ecu.

mitsiboyblue
05-07-2018, 08:19 PM
What do you lnow about ECM LINK is that anything i can use?

Nick Mann
05-07-2018, 09:51 PM
ECM link doesn't mean anything to me.

My plx runs narrowband emulation to the stock ecu and shows me wideband afr when I want to keep an eye on it. My ecu is tuned to run the afrs that I want when on wide open throttle and aims at 14.7 when on light throttle.

TAR
06-07-2018, 09:47 PM
Do you understand that you can only monitor AFR's using a wideband sensor and gauge?

To make changes to the stock ecu you'll need as a minimum, a laptop, cable and some tuning software. Older metal cased ECU's (7201) are not as easy to modify so its also important to check which one you have.

Finally, if you are not experienced in tuning I wouldn't dive in without reading the many useful threads on here, such as...
https://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?67698-Basic-Introduction-to-ECUflash-rom-tuning-and-Evoscan-logging&highlight=tuning+guide
https://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?62831-Common-tuning-FAQ&highlight=tuning+guide
:happy: