PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Brake Pedal Travel

Phil S
23-03-2005, 11:58 AM
Has anyone experienced excessive amounts of brake pedal travel? My V6 sport barke pedal travels a long way down on the first application, if you lift off and reapply instantly it's alot better, but doesn't stay like it for long.

I've checked the fluid levels and they are fine, as are the discs and pads (BD predators - courtesy of Pezza!). It has been like this for a while (before brake upgrade)...

Any idea's??? /help

I-S
23-03-2005, 12:02 PM
Pump the brake pedal with the engine switched off.

Phil S
23-03-2005, 12:05 PM
Tried pumping the pedal with the engine off, pedal gets firmer and firmer - but then returns to original spongy state....

Big Ian
23-03-2005, 12:21 PM
have you "bled" your brake's...as it sound's like you may have trapped air?
if you have or you do so and there is no change then you may need a master cylinder (servo)

Phil S
23-03-2005, 12:32 PM
this may be a stupid question but - from what I can remember the cap on the brake fluid reservior doesn't contain a rubber seal or washer, and the cap never seems to tighten 'nicely'. If I wasn't getting an airtight seal could this be causing the excessive travel?

Big Ian
23-03-2005, 12:47 PM
this may be a stupid question but - from what I can remember the cap on the brake fluid reservior doesn't contain a rubber seal or washer, and the cap never seems to tighten 'nicely'. If I wasn't getting an airtight seal could this be causing the excessive travel?

it could but i'd think your fluid level would have to drop out of sight for air to get caught from the reservior in to the pipe's
an old trick was to leave your cap of and pump the pedal and it would push any air out (twaz an old trick though!)

Kieran
23-03-2005, 12:57 PM
Possibly a vaccumm leak on the brake servo/brake booster? Check the lines running to the servo - Perhaps a one-way valve has failed or the line is split? :inquisiti

I-S
23-03-2005, 02:09 PM
I've just got back to work from picking my car up from 90k service, and brake fluid is one of the service items. Much firmer feel to the pedal now. Try renewing the fluid.

Zeke
23-03-2005, 03:37 PM
I've just got back to work from picking my car up from 90k service, and brake fluid is one of the service items. Much firmer feel to the pedal now. Try renewing the fluid.

I agree, use the nipples to bleed all 4 properly and renew the fluid.

psbarham
23-03-2005, 07:14 PM
yes mate bleed it all up but do it with the engine running so you get full pedal travel , just a little tip most people know but is worth reminding you about is to start with the furthest wheel n/s/r and work your way back to the o/s/f

Phil S
24-03-2005, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the comments - I'll change the fluid over the weekend...