PDA

View Full Version : Vibration after lowering

menno3x8g
19-09-2018, 09:34 AM
Hi guys,
Since I have lowered the car (not extreme, see photo) with a good BC Racing BR set there is vibration at acceleration and at compression of the wheel suspension during driving. There is absolutely no vibration at braking. Engine mounts are of polyurethane. Engine runs perfectly. A/T has no problems. Tires are quite new (no oneven wear on old ones). Where the vibration comes from is difficult to locate. That's why the propshaft has already been replaced. Sadly without effect. Now I am about to replace a front axle thinking about an inner CV joint (https://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?70422-Troubleshooting-amp-solutions-with-perf-issues-stutter-shudder-idling-stalling). Does anyone recognize this problem after lowering?

Confused
19-09-2018, 09:42 AM
Try replacing your wheel bearings first.

I had a vibration on my car, thought it might have been propshaft, so swapped it with another, which made no difference.

Next thought was driveshaft/CV. As I removed the driveshaft (needed to replace an ABS ring anyway), I also swapped wheel bearing. Put it back together with existing shaft but new bearing, vibration completely gone :)

Nick Mann
19-09-2018, 12:21 PM
The other thing is the inner CV joints on the front axle. The inside of the cup wears and causes vibration on acceleration. By lowering you will change the contact point on the CV joint so it could suddenly appear/get worse. Vibration on acceleration due to inner CV joint wear is not uncommon on our cars.

menno3x8g
19-09-2018, 05:30 PM
Thanks. I will first replace the drive shaft on the driver's side. It is the one who makes the most kinks in the CV joints. Maybe I will replace the bearing later if the vibration remains.

Nick Mann
19-09-2018, 07:54 PM
If you take the inner CV joint apart it will become obvious if there is a bit of wear in the cup.