PDA

View Full Version : Brakes... grrrrr

I-S
24-03-2005, 09:44 AM
I am getting to the end of my tether on brakes...

I have 4 issues with my brakes currently. Mitsubishi aren't interested and blame it entirely on black diamond...

1) Clicking/Cracking noise. Prevalent at low speeds, these noises are really quite loud, and can be felt through the brake pedal also. Coming from the front offside. I asked a garage to look at it before and they said cracking brake pad, but they've changed them and its still happening. Another pad cracking? What's causing it?

2) "Angle Grinder" noise. Coming from rear nearside I think. When brakes are applied it goes "bbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt", with speed of the vehicle. Mitsubishi suggested fuel pump :rolleyes4

3) Under hardish cornering, particularly left handers there's a light rubbing noise.

4) After making tight, low speed turns (3 pointer in a car park, etc) something rubs when the vehicle is moving, going "ssshhhinnk, shhiiinnkk, shiinnkkk".

Mitsubishi main dealer and two independant garages can't sort it. What do I do, given that I'm very very broke?

Kieran
24-03-2005, 11:25 AM
What do I do, given that I'm very very broke?

Turn your stereo up louder! /lol

Sounds like most of these faults could be cured by a simple strip, clean-up, re-grease and reassembly.

I-S
24-03-2005, 11:57 AM
I believe that's probably true... but I haven't got the skill, experience, tools or space to do it. Getting the garage to do it is impossible because they take umbrage at being told how to do their job (they said it was impossible to flush out the ATF cooler/torque converter, and didn't like my saying otherwise), so I'm rather stuck on that...

Slimshady
24-03-2005, 11:00 PM
Mine were just as bad if not worse when I got the car – a simple press of the brake pedal and I could feel a rumble from down under, through the pedal and an unholy noise – grinding and bumpy feeling – the car would twitch, rumble and make all sorts of noises.

I changed the whole system for BD drilled and grooved + tungsten carbide pads.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6896

Problem sorted – now she brakes and drives fine

hope this helps

Slim

I-S
29-03-2005, 09:26 AM
slim - all my brakes are already black diamond.

I think there's another issue coming about now. I get a clonking noise from the front offside under cornering or on a bump or in low speed maneuvering. I think it's caliper binding? I won't believe that it's another suspension part as it's just had two...

Vector
29-03-2005, 09:39 AM
my gf has just had a problem with her mx-5

strange grinding clonking noise at low speed during turns

turned out to be the power steering lvls

don't know if its related to your prob but its just a thought .

I-S
31-03-2005, 12:39 PM
This is getting stupid.

Really bad noises from one side on the front... went to take the wheel off and three of the nuts were not very tight. The fourth (the locking nut) was cracked and will not budge (and the key helpfully rounded out the holes in it, so there's no chance of it coming off without serious work).

Both mitsubishi and the garage that fitted the bits are blaming the black diamond parts.

So, I've not got a car that makes funny noises when braking with a front offside wheel that can't be removed.

Suffice to say I'm ****ing sick of this and have been looking at other cars.

Paul Beazer
31-03-2005, 05:17 PM
This is getting stupid.
Both mitsubishi and the garage that fitted the bits are blaming the black diamond parts.

Not sure about their logic on that. Sounds like a cop out to me! Ever wish you hadnt started something....
Sorry, not being very helpful, I do feel your pain. Hope you manage to get it sorted soon! :embarasse

I-S
31-03-2005, 05:42 PM
Paul - I wish, but I simply haven't the means to get it sorted. Mitsu will want £400 or so for new discs, pads and labour. Other garage won't be much less, and I have no more money. Just got my credit card bill which wipes out anything I did have once I paid the mortgage. The idea was that the (considerable) money spend on "quality" parts would do the job.

And at times I wish I had listened to those people who said buy something cheap for your first car. And I think of the 25000 miles that I've spent in greater comfort (ie the good times) and I just wish the damn thing would work. At the moment I can't tell if the front wheel is about to fall off or what and i've simply run out of motivation as well as money to sort it out. From now on what will be will be.

Kieran
31-03-2005, 06:49 PM
....The fourth (the locking nut) was cracked and will not budge (and the key helpfully rounded out the holes in it, so there's no chance of it coming off without serious work)......

Suffice to say I'm ****ing sick of this and have been looking at other cars.

Sorry to hear your problems Issac. I do feel your frustration, as just recently I've been getting somewhat depressed about my car and have given some serious thought to cutting it loose and getting something else. Really wish I'd had another Automatic!! :embarasse

Regarding your wheelnuts. A stuck locknut really isn't that much of a problem. Some berk did the same to my old GLS. Now, I'm assuming that your GLS has the Mitsubishi '3 Pin' locknuts, but to be honest, the formula below will work for any locknuts really. And for that reason, I'll move this thread to the member's area!!

If it is the '3 pin' locknuts, then you'll need to get a sharp chisel and tap away the rotating surround that spins freely. If there's no surround, simply get a 'sacrificial' socket from your local hardware store (Make sure it's reasonably beefy) that's just too small for the other wheelnuts. Next, do the unthinkable and hammer the barsteward onto the locknut. It will grip the locknut surprisingly well and then you can get a bar on the socket and crack the nut off! Sounds loads more complicated than it is - It will take you about half an hour tops if you're being careful not to smack the alloy, and the socket will cost about a fiver or less. Easy.