PDA

View Full Version : decat v mot

d3x
24-03-2005, 12:57 PM
Hi guys, bought a 96 legnum vr4 last week, and loving every minute, except the fuel economy that is..

But got a little question the uk people will be able to help with. I've got the decat pipe but am wondering if it will fail the mot emissions test..

Any help appreciated.

d

BraindG
24-03-2005, 01:11 PM
i just passed MOT, however i replaced the decat with the cat.. just incase..
someone (i forget who) has had their car pass with the de-cat pipe on.. (legitimately, if i remember right)

Paul Beazer
24-03-2005, 01:17 PM
Hi guys, bought a 96 legnum vr4 last week, and loving every minute, except the fuel economy that is..

But got a little question the uk people will be able to help with. I've got the decat pipe but am wondering if it will fail the mot emissions test..

Any help appreciated.

d

I have read in these very forums that some members cars have passed with the de-cat in place. Depends on your emissions and how rigid the garage is. Some will accept the car with the de-cat pipe in place and they are happy to see that you have a cat for it (ie in a bag in the boot). Others will insist that the cat should be fitted before they will pass it. Some members i know just re-fit the cat for the mot, its only 8 bolts anyway, but its a pain. If you have a good mot centre which is run by human beings rather than jobsworths, use them.
Depends whether they are prepared to "bend" the rules or not. Good luck!!

Paul :thumbsup:

d3x
24-03-2005, 01:30 PM
cheers guys, I'll give it a try.. It's worth it for the extra performance.. :smug:

SGHOM
24-03-2005, 06:17 PM
someone (i forget who) has had their car pass with the de-cat pipe on.. (legitimately, if i remember right)
Twas I Barry ! /yes
Archer road MOT center.. Chessman house.. Sheffield 8

The chart on their wall does not list a Mitsubishi legnum, so they are not obliged to test the emissions !!
They dont even test the brakes !! :rolleyes4 no 4 wheel rolling road, so just a visual inspection. :thumbsup:

Spirit
24-03-2005, 08:49 PM
I too have passed two different VR4's - and both were de-catted. I was lucky that my local garage simply asked for the cat to be in the boot each time - and also each car passed the emissions easily ! :thumbsup:

RED
25-03-2005, 12:17 PM
[QUOTE=interlec]Twas I Barry ! /yes

The chart on their wall does not list a Mitsubishi legnum, so they are not obliged to test the emissions !!
They dont even test the brakes !! :rolleyes4 no 4 wheel rolling road, so just a

Same here... no cat... no data and no brake check - cool :thumbsup:

d3x
29-03-2005, 10:49 AM
[QUOTE=interlec]Twas I Barry ! /yes

They dont even test the brakes !! :rolleyes4 no 4 wheel rolling road, so just a

Same here... no cat... no data and no brake check - cool :thumbsup:

Your kidding me????????!?!?!!!?