PDA

View Full Version : Fuel preference

russhowe
16-02-2019, 09:58 PM
Just wo dering what fuels everyone is using. Its been strongly suggested to me to use the high end stuff, like shell v-power etc.

I'm told that my legnum has been remapped to run better on the high octane stuff but I've no proof what-so-ever.

What would you do? Stick with regular unleaded or spend that but extra on the "good stuff"?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S9 using Tapatalk

elnevio
16-02-2019, 10:30 PM
From the factory they are designed to run on 100 RON petrol. The closest readily available to that is Tesco's Momentum 99, although most people's number one choice is Shell V-Power. The octane rating of petrol is essentially a measure of its resistance to knock/detonation which is more likely to occur with regular unleaded. The ECU will detect this and pull the timing to protect the engine. The real-world effect of this will be a reduction in power, perhaps in the order of 25-30 ponies! :o

russhowe
17-02-2019, 02:23 AM
From the factory they are designed to run on 100 RON petrol. The closest readily available to that is Tesco's Momentum 99, although most people's number one choice is Shell V-Power. The octane rating of petrol is essentially a measure of its resistance to knock/detonation which is more likely to occur with regular unleaded. The ECU will detect this and pull the timing to protect the engine. The real-world effect of this will be a reduction in power, perhaps in the order of 25-30 ponies! :oPerfect answer! Thanks elnevio!

Nick Mann
17-02-2019, 04:44 PM
Nev is on the money.
I use Tesco 99, but would happily use Shell too. I have logged cars using 95 octane and the knock count is significantly higher so the ecu has pulled timing to reduce the knock. If there was no choice I would put 95 in but I wouldn't be driving hard until the car was on good stuff again.

TAR
17-02-2019, 07:25 PM
+1 for Tesco Momentum 99. Car runs great on this.
:happy:

Jsa274
18-02-2019, 11:21 AM
I run mine on Shell V Power, no issues in 4 months of ownership.

Even if I had a bog standard econobox with a run of the mill 4-pot (or 3 pot as it seems to be going now..) I'd use good quality fuel. Might not make a positive difference but I'm content thinking I might be. Much like taking up vaping after 40 years of Marlboro reds :evilgrin:

Davezj
18-02-2019, 12:10 PM
Never use anything other than premium fuel , 97 and above.
If you use standard fuel it will knock and timing will be pulled to protect the engine from knock and performance will be lost . Knock kills engines.
Unless you have ECU setup to show knock sum on engine light on dash, you will never normally know knock is occuring, and performance is being lost.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

russhowe
21-02-2019, 07:44 PM
She took 20litres of the best that my local Gulf petrol station had to offer and came home with me this afternoon.
So happy to have her on my driveway where I can finally pull out all the sockets and scanners and give her the overhaul that's needed after 2 years of standing still.

Thanks for the info folks. Really really appreciated

Nick Mann
22-02-2019, 09:51 AM
:afro: