PDA

View Full Version : Rear Diff Fluid

chrismillar0
23-03-2019, 01:57 PM
My cars going into the garage in the next week or 2 to have some repairs and work done. AUX belt is got a tear in it so going to get all the belts, pulleys and water pump done (on 80km and i believe its still the original ones, but im really not sure) so just going to get that done. But the main reason for this post is the rear diff has a minor leak, so im ordering the seals for it but whats the best fluid to use for the rear diff, well what do you guys recommend? Also is it worth while doing the AYC whilst im there or am i just going to far?

Thanks for any advice!!

Nick Mann
24-03-2019, 11:44 AM
Personally I use this for the gear oil:
http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/amsoil_gear_diesel.html
and this for the two ayc parts:
http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/automatic_transmission_fluid.html

From memory, the UK service schedule says 4,500 mile intervals for the ayc parts (one in the diff and one in the pump) and 45,000 miles for the gear oil. The hydraulic system, which is the reservoir in the side of the boot and the pump below is awkward to do without correct understanding - anyone who has worked on Evos should have no problems though. Hope that helps!

chrismillar0
25-03-2019, 05:21 PM
So the first link for the gearbox fluid and the second link will do both the rear diff and ayc?

Confused
25-03-2019, 05:54 PM
So the first link for the gearbox fluid and the second link will do both the rear diff and ayc?

Nope :)

First link is for the gear half of the rear diff, the second link is for the AYC half of the rear diff plus the reservoir in the boot.

Gearbox and transfer case take different fluids.

chrismillar0
25-03-2019, 09:28 PM
Ahhhhhhh OK I understand now. Thanks very much.

TAR
25-03-2019, 10:27 PM
The AYC fill bolt is particularly awkward to access so make sure you crack that open before draining the AYC fluid! :happy:

Davezj
27-03-2019, 12:13 PM
Top tip from tar very easily overlooked.