PDA

View Full Version : Sound Deadening Project

MikeKey
01-04-2019, 08:47 PM
For the first time in a LOOOOOONG time I started a bit of a car project this afternoon - sound deadening the interior with Noico sound deadening sheets and insulation mats :) The Mrs. is away in the UK for the week with my daughter meaning I have somewhere to store the seats and whatnot without getting told off!

It only took me a couple of hours to strip out the interior and it's surprisingly simple, though a fair bit of it has been out before.

Pre-rear seat removal:

It's gone, all gone!

I'll crack on with the door cards in the morning and give everything a good clean up, then the sound deadening can commence!

If anyone's done this before I'd be happy to take any advice you might have on the best places to put deadening. The plan is currently to put it in the boot and doors, plus some on the floor, rear seat and maybe the firewall, depending on how much I have left. The mats will go on the floor, boot, firewall and maybe wheel arches.

I was actually quite surprised at how much insulation material there was already, both the insulation blanket stuff attached to carpets, etc., and the strips of goop they put on the panels.

Mike

Nick Mann
01-04-2019, 10:57 PM
I've done it. It made a difference but it was not chaulk and cheese. And a job on my list now is to find slightly stronger struts for the tailgte as when it is cold they cant quite hold the extra weight of the insulation!

adaxo
02-04-2019, 02:16 PM
Looking forward to this as noise in my black vr4 is annoying, very annoying compared to my white one, probably dying diff, polyurethane engine mounts and all suspension bushes not helping to quiet it down, its so bad we can hardly talk. Maybe wheel bearings are on last legs too.

MikeKey
02-04-2019, 05:31 PM
I made some more progress today :)

I got the door cards and a few last interior bits out then cleaned all the panels up. The plan has been to try and get some deadening on all areas / panels that don't have factory deadening on them, especially the large, flat ones and those that seem especially noisy when tapped:

I've been using cardboard templates, labelling them up, then taking pictures so I know where they go. I really had no idea how far the deadening sheets I bought would go, so doing it this way I figured I could lose some bits if there weren't going to be enough:

Sound deadening isn't exactly cheap, so doing it this way also means you can arrange your templates before cutting anything to minimise wastage. Once I laid all the bits out that I've done so far I realised I have more than enough sheets - there are another 6 besides the 3 here, so plenty for the doors, some more in the boot, and maybe on the firewall:

elnevio
04-04-2019, 03:58 PM
Great work, Mike! Looks fun!! :D :thumbsup:

MikeKey
04-04-2019, 10:30 PM
I got all the deadening sheets rollered down today and fitted the sound insulation mats in the cabin:

It's going to the garage tomorrow so they can replace a CV boot and check the Evo master cylinder they fitted for me last week. My brakes were gradually coming on all the way home and the pedal was stiff as hell, so I suspect they didn't adjust the brake booster push rod :thumbsdow

Just the insulating mats in the boot to do now, plus the doors. So probably the worst parts still to do! :s