PDA

View Full Version : midrange

psbarham
28-03-2005, 07:39 PM
anybody noticed a lack of mid range on their car after fitting an induction kit , it might just be me but it feels a little dead on mid to topend , a slap to the first person who says buy a vr4 :inquisiti

triplexke
28-03-2005, 07:53 PM
hey, i just fitted a hks-copy airfilter three weeks ago, and know very well what you are talking about. Am seriously thinking of putting back the original stuff. Also noticed a lot less power when more people are in the car? (as opposed to before you fitted the induction kit offcourse). Btw i drive a v6 like your's, not a vr4

Sulli
28-03-2005, 07:57 PM
Unless you have proper cold air feeds, the inducion kit will be worse than you standard airbox, which is designed, airflow-wise, to get the most air in using that design.

psbarham
28-03-2005, 07:59 PM
the bottom end is much crisper but when you boot it nothing seems to happen and i have to keep asking the gear box for help .the absolute top end is much better it's just the bit you use the most thats lacking

Gly
28-03-2005, 08:23 PM
i have a v6 aswell, and yes i noticed it,
i finnally had time to move the battery to the boot over the holidays,

now that ive got plenty of space up front im gonna make a cold air box for the filter,

http://thegspot.orcon.net.nz/Legnum/Boot/1.JPG

http://thegspot.orcon.net.nz/Legnum/Boot/2.JPG

http://thegspot.orcon.net.nz/Legnum/Boot/3.JPG

http://thegspot.orcon.net.nz/Legnum/Boot/4.JPG

Big Ian
28-03-2005, 09:18 PM
out of interest....is your car an Auto or a manual?
i'm not sure if it make's any difference what box is in your car (when it come's to air intake),but someone may pick up on this? :rolleyes4

psbarham
28-03-2005, 09:26 PM
it's an auto . the only way to get it to go without the kickdown is drop it manually

Axeboy
28-03-2005, 10:53 PM
I just fitted a Simota filter but with a heat shield...

The battery does get in the way a lot, but i havnt noticed any drop in performance...

colVR4
29-03-2005, 03:29 PM
Had mine fitted for a while now to my V6, haven't noticed any drop in mid-range power. I am thinking about forcing more air to the filter though. Either a bonnet mounted vent or ducting from lower down on the spoiler. Worried about water ingress though.
I remember a post a while ago mentioning the fact that the bonnet prop gets in the way of the cold air feed from under the front lip of the bonnet. Did anybody ever remove the bonnet prop and check the difference?

psbarham
03-04-2005, 09:30 PM
just had an afternoon of tinkering about and put the original airbox back on and the power seems sooooo much smoother across the whole rev range , so i think it is down to running lean in the middle of the rev band when the engine is working hardest and drawing a lot of air , this only showed up as a big problem after i changed the battery and reset the ecu . before it was reset there was a dropoff in power in the middle but no where near as pronounced as it was afterwards

Kieran
04-04-2005, 12:03 AM
So, with that in mind, I think an Apexi S-AFC or similar would be the next thing to try in order to tweak the fuelling....

Must stop spending....Must stop spending....Must stop spending....Must stop spending....Must stop spending.... :embarasse :embarasse

psbarham
04-04-2005, 06:36 AM
So, with that in mind, I think an Apexi S-AFC or similar would be the next thing to try in order to tweak the fuelling....

Must stop spending....Must stop spending....Must stop spending....Must stop spending....Must stop spending.... :embarasse :embarasse
DITTO

kitefighter
07-04-2005, 03:39 AM
About two years ago the standard enclosed air box was changed to the HKS Super Power Flow. To begin with, like you, I thought that the top end wasn't quite as sharp.

I used to get 148 mph on the clock (very late at night on the M6) but after the HKS upgrade, I could only manage 144 mph.

Then, about a year later I noticed that I could indeed reach 148 mph given enough road. I found I could repeat this over again, if I slowed down and then speeded up after about 5 minutes.

I think a lot depends upon the conditions in which you drive. If it was cold and not very windy and the road surface was good etc, you may have noticed better performance and it may have been under more favourable conditions that you remember driving with the old Original Airbox.

In theory, if you can feed enough cold air to the HKs filter, you'll get more power. But as we all know, it gets incredibly hot under the bonnet of a turbocharged car. In fact, the difference between the top bonnet and under bonnet temperature can be as much as 17%

I recall reading that according to HKS, it's a recognised feature of the open box. It's reckoned that you lose some performance in drag races if you've been idling and the engine bay is hot but gain more if you're already moving because the air flow to the filter is greater.

Conclusions? I don't know for sure. Sounds nicer hearing the woosh of air being sucked in though....

kitefighter