PDA

View Full Version : Hunua Falls Run ... What a drive ...but still not 3 bars

KiwiTT
28-03-2005, 10:51 PM
Thought I would take the car our for a drive. Just got in and drove. Wondered where should I drive. OK, haven't been to Hunua Falls for a dozen or so years. Lets go there. Headed down the southern motorway. Hmmm need to turn off at Papakura as the Hunua falls are after Clevedon, which is after Papakura. Still not looked at a map, and got to the last sign that said Hunua. "Great", I thought "All well sign posted".

A little way along I see a signs "Windy roads" and "Hunua Gorge". No cars in front no cars coming in either direction. This is going to be fun. :evil2:

TCL off - :thumbsup:
Tiptronic Mode - :thumbsup:

Ready :leer:

Dropped it down to 3rd as I entered the first corner, that was easy, accelerated out, took it to 4th, then saw another corner, dropped it again to 3rd, up to 4th after coming out. Saw a tight corner coming up, dropped it to 3rd, dropped it again to 2nd, AYC at 2 bars (how do I get 3?) Accelerated out up to 3rd, down to 2nd again ... only 2 bars again. Sheesh. 3 bars is a real challenge.

I found I could hammer through the corners, in 2nd for tight ones and 3rd for less tight ones and 4th for the longer straights. The Eagle F1s, 4WD and AYC holding me to the road, engine braking (downshifting) instead of actual brakes when appropriate.

I saw 3 bars on my car with my old tyres, but with these it is even harder. I was really pushing the car hard. Do I need to do something different to get 3 bars (other than getting a manual or on a track)

Kenneth
28-03-2005, 11:09 PM
You will just have to drive faster and come into the corners hotter and get back on the gas sooner. :D

KiwiTT
28-03-2005, 11:12 PM
That means using the brakes :D Right. Give that a wurl

_simon_
29-03-2005, 12:08 PM
Brakes, no no the other pedal.
Have you tried driving around the twisties in reverse?

p1_
01-04-2005, 01:47 AM
How about a roundabout in the wet? On bald tyres?

Trow
01-04-2005, 02:49 AM
your tyres must be pretty good mate, coming through Grays road between the hutt valley and Paramata I can get 3 bars but then again the car is sideways most of the journey :evil2: