PDA

View Full Version : tapping/clicking engine noises

jackal2513
31-03-2005, 01:47 PM
hi all

my v6 sport has developed a metallic clicking noise like a piece of metal put in between some bicycle spokes. It increases frequency when you rev the engine... after about 3k rpm i guess its inaudible because the engine noise gets too loud so its hard to tell if it disappears or not with high revs.

the noise wasnt there when i got the car and im pretty sure that its still intermittent and sometimes its not present although it appears to be there more and more.

Ive done some searching on the forums but still cant get clear on the lashes problem and one post said that if any clicking noise doesnt go away after the engine is warm then it might be an issue ?

any help appreciated

thanks

Big Ian
31-03-2005, 02:00 PM
have you changed (flushed)your oil lately? if so and the noise is not going away ,then ther's a good chance you may need new "tappet's"
also what type/grade of oil are you using?

Kieran
31-03-2005, 06:34 PM
My V6 Sport suffered from the same problem untill recently. My V6 tapped more when the engine was warm!! :inquisiti

I did an oil flush and change, which made a bit of difference, but not a great deal. So, with the fresh oil in it, I took it out and gave it some welly for about 30 mins. When I got back, I flushed and changed the oil and also replaced the filter, and for good measure, chucked a can of Wynn's valve lifter compound in too.

Initially, this stopped the sharp metallic tapping, reducing it to a bit of background chatter. And now, roughly 500 miles later, the lifter compound has finished the job and all is smooooooooooooooooooth again.

So persist with it! One change may not be enough.

wirdy
31-03-2005, 11:52 PM
My V6 Sport suffered from the same problem untill recently. My V6 tapped more when the engine was warm!! :inquisiti

I did an oil flush and change, which made a bit of difference, but not a great deal. So, with the fresh oil in it, I took it out and gave it some welly for about 30 mins. When I got back, I flushed and changed the oil and also replaced the filter, and for good measure, chucked a can of Wynn's valve lifter compound in too.

Initially, this stopped the sharp metallic tapping, reducing it to a bit of background chatter. And now, roughly 500 miles later, the lifter compound has finished the job and all is smooooooooooooooooooth again.

So persist with it! One change may not be enough.

Sound advice Kieran. :thumbsup:

Looks like I'm converting you all (very slowly) /yes /yes /yes

Paul Beazer
01-04-2005, 08:26 PM
Come to think of it, mine did this the day I was going to give it an oil change. I was going to get the filters etc. It must have done it to make sure I did the oil this time!!!