PDA

View Full Version : VR4 Test Drive

paulmc
01-04-2005, 07:15 AM
Going to be test driving an auto next week, is there any funny trade marks about this box to look out for, I have read through the buyers guide.

I am sure I read somewhere that in some instances the box seems like it is slipping but this is normal, where / when will the box display this type of behaviour.

any other help / points appreciated :thumbsup:

cheers

Paul

p1_
01-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Sometimes the box likes to hunt around a bit - needs a transmission flush and a certain type of fluid - those more technical can help with this.

Brunty
01-04-2005, 04:56 PM
The dipstick is down between the battery and air box, see if the oil is at the correct level and a clear red colour. psbarham could have it spot on, check the oil first!

Check the ATF, it should be flushed and changed at around 45k, although many think it should be changed much earlier. Personally (ie knowing what I now know) I'd walk away if the ATF is particularily low or black in colour - otherwise you might end up with one of the following repairs (in order of expense):

Replace oil seal
Replace torque convertor
Overhaul transmission

6hrs labour just to replace the oil seal ensures it an expensive job. I doubt my ATF was changed prior to me taking ownership and after three months of fun my gearbox is being overhauled at considerable expense.

On a happier note good luck and enjoy your test drive.

Steve

paulmc
01-04-2005, 06:37 PM
hmmmm, these boxes seem really good until they go wrong :rolleyes4 does that make sense

Steve

first 2 would be diy, 3rd I would not have a clue, looks like I need to be careful

cheers

Paul