PDA

View Full Version : Philips Blue Vision Ultra

Brind
29-07-2003, 04:41 PM
Just bought a Top Gear magazine this morning and came across an advert for these lights.
Philips Blue Vision UltraBlue 4000K
New and improved Ultra Blue design! The ultimate styling product for the crispest blue tint 'Xenon' HID effect. Available in H1, H3, H4, H7, 9005, 9006, W5W, T4W and H6W
They are the closest bulbs to replicate the light achieved by HID lights.

The website is www.powerbulbs.com
If you buy a set of the Blue Vision Ultra Bright 4000K Effect headlights you'll get a 'free' pair of Blue Vision Sidelights too for a limited time only.

You can see what bulbs fit your car aswell by going to the appropriate link, the ones for the 99 Galant if it is any different to previous models is: Price: £14.75 'EACH' but a pair of sidelights thrown in for free if you buy a pair, free postage and packing aswell.

Take a look, the lights on my Galant aren't really.. that good and after seeing the HID lights on Jaysback Legnum it looks to be a must to have lights like that.

Nick VR4
29-07-2003, 08:21 PM
Brind you can be the Guinea pig :p ;)

So thats x2 main x2 full bean x2 side FOC and x4 fogs
could be pretty expensive ad not having them to match would look naff imho

I dont know how hard it is the change the main and full beam:confused: looks pretty easy just pull the rubber part out and pull bulb not touching the new one to fit
but I bet the fogs are a bitch to do

Any one else changed there bulbs

I also read somewhere that some of these bulbs can burn out looms and or cause headlights to actuallt melt :eek:

Brind
29-07-2003, 09:12 PM
Thanks alot for the confidence Nick! :eek: :D

Shouldn't be any problem changing the bulbs, it's just like any other car.
I'm not touching the main beam bulbs or the lower fog lights, just the normal dipped beam headlights plus the free sidelights.
I never use the fog lights and main beam is only to blind people that get in my way or to thank people for letting me out a junction etc.
I am The Guinea pig though, I've just ordered them.:)

You can only melt the light enclosure if you fit wrong higher wattage bulbs in place of the normal wattage bulbs, these lights on the site are pretty much the same as usual, they just have a tint to give the effect of HID lights plus better brightness, the wattage is the same, if they melt then it's Philips's problem.:)

Slightly off topic, I see you have the latest shape Galant too, have you tried to turn on your driving lights which are next to the additional fogs in the front spoiler?
I have a switch to turn on the fogs and another switch to turn on the rear fog, but to get the driving lights to come on I have to switch on the lower fogs and then indicate left or right, then the driving light on the side I am indicating alights but doesn't flash, it seems to be just an aid! looked in my manual and it shows it is correct in the picture... but it seems VERY odd to me, why would they link them together like that?

Spirit
29-07-2003, 09:21 PM
Brind - I had the same set up on my Prelude 2.2Vtec - they only came on when I had main lights on and then indicated - they were there as an aid to see the side of the road when going around a corner/junction at night - used to work well on the Honda

peterernest
29-07-2003, 09:28 PM
I HAVE A PAIR OF THESE XENON HEADLIGHTS HOWEVER THEY HAVE NOT BEEN FITTED AS I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE CONNECTORS AND AM AWAITING REPLACEMENTS.

I WAS GOING TO TRIAL THE HEADLAMP BULBS, IF THEY ARE ANY GOOD I WAS THEN GOING TO INVEST IN MAIN BEAM BULBS AND FOG BULBS.

CONNECTORS SHOULD BE REPLACED AT THE BEGINNING OF NEXT WEEK, ONCE THE BULBS ARE IN USE I'LL LET YOU KNOW HOW I GET ON.

I BOUGHT THESE ONES FROM THE STATES, THEY WERE NOT EXPENSIVE, THEY WERE DELIVERED QUICKLY AND PACKED SECURELY. I'VE SEVERAL FRIENDS WAITING TO SEE HOW I GET ON SO THAT THEY CAN ORDER SOME ALSO.

Spirit
29-07-2003, 09:32 PM
Just looked and says for a 1995-98 model the dip beam
is 9006 bulbs yet the 1999 on says they are H4 bulbs - anyone know for sure what my 97 model would be - too dark outside to check :mad:

Pete

Brind
29-07-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by spirit979
Just looked and says for a 1995-98 model the dip beam
is 9006 bulbs yet the 1999 on says they are H4 bulbs - anyone know for sure what my 97 model would be - too dark outside to check :mad:

Pete

Hint.. try looking at 'rest of world cars' :D
I would assume your lights would be the same as what is in mine.
1994, 95, 96, use H4 bulbs, 1997 uses H1 bulbs, 1998 and 99 use H7 bulbs but to be honest I would 99% say you would use H7 like 98 onwards too as there isn't any difference in our lights but a big difference on previous Galant models, but don't shoot the messenger If he's wrong. ;)

Spirit
29-07-2003, 10:12 PM
Best I check - gonna take out headlight at weekend anyhow to reseal it so will check then

Cheers Brind

Nick VR4
30-07-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Brind
Thanks alot for the confidence Nick! :eek: :D

Slightly off topic, I see you have the latest shape Galant too, have you tried to turn on your driving lights which are next to the additional fogs in the front spoiler?
I have a switch to turn on the fogs and another switch to turn on the rear fog, but to get the driving lights to come on I have to switch on the lower fogs and then indicate left or right, then the driving light on the side I am indicating alights but doesn't flash, it seems to be just an aid! looked in my manual and it shows it is correct in the picture... but it seems VERY odd to me, why would they link them together like that?

Arr funny you should say that coz
When I first got the car I actually thought it was a wiring issue
Took the car in to place I brought it from a Mits garage, told them and they re-wired them , so if I hit the fog light I get all 4 fogs on and side lights
I then read somewhere that the extra 2 each side are for turning corners to see the curb and turn off after a minute or so
I do use my front Fogs mainly on unlite roads and in bad weather

People tend to move over on m-ways when there on

:cool1: :)

Brind
30-07-2003, 05:22 PM
I was thinking of rewireing them too, and have another switch inside the car just to control the outer lights as I'm sure they would be legal to have lit as an aid to normal lights since they are in theory driving lights and aligned safe enough and the brightness isn't anywhere near that of the fogs.

They're kind of wasted just as an aid to the indicators and sisnce they only work if the fogs next to them are working they are pointless.

Brind
31-07-2003, 10:59 PM
The new lights came this morning and I fitted them just after I got in from work, so when I went out earlier to the cinema INSERT INTO post VALUES (Terminator 3) I could see them in action on the way home and must say I'm very impressed! much clearer! on one occasion I was side by side with a new BMW, perhaps a 5 series which had HID lights, I drew level with him and could honestly say they weren't too far removed! :eek: so in my opinion excellent buy.
Especially for just less than £30 and they compare to HID lights of I dunno...... £700?

They came with 'free' sidelights, which I'm glad were 'apparently' free as the bastids didn't fit, same size just completely different connections! oh well..
The bulbs I used were H7.

Spirit
31-07-2003, 11:10 PM
Cant you send the "free" sidelights back mate for the right ones ?

BraindG
31-07-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Brind
so when I went out earlier to the cinema INSERT INTO post VALUES (Terminator 3)

"she'll be back"
"im back"

umgzzzz - film was a bit cheezy

Brind
31-07-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by spirit979
Cant you send the "free" sidelights back mate for the right ones ?
No idea.. I could find out, they probably only cost about £2 together though.
Mitsubishi certainly do have weird lights, took me ages to find the interior type lights, even they aren't exactly the correct type, they are 10w rather than 8 watts but they arent any brighter but at least they fitted.

T3 has superb effects!!! story was very weak but it did make sense a couple of bits were a bit.. 'yeah okay..' especially the indestructible truck that took out 100+ buildings, other vehicles and then ripped up the road! :rolleyes:
I'm sure there will be a 4th though.
Couple of bits were amusing but it was only a 12 believe it or not.
Action all the way through so worth a watch.

Spirit
03-08-2003, 12:01 AM
Okay, I invested in some Ring Blue Ice bulbs today - paid £14.99 for two dip and £21.99 for two main beam.

For those who need to know - my '97 VR4 has H1 dip bulbs and H7 main beam bulbs. Funny thing is the main beam ones I took out were 100 watt not 55w as listed/recommended - wonder if the last owner upgraded them or they are like that in Japan :Ponder: Anyhow - 55w ones are now in as recommended

Anyhow, easy job to do and all up and running. :D

jaysback
16-08-2003, 08:48 PM
hi all
the hid conversion in mine is H7.
if anyone is interested in forking out the dollar for a conversion this is the link to it
http://www.xenonvalot.com/tuotteet_eng.html
i dont know about u guys but i tryed several times to get a decent photo of headlights on but u must have to have the most expensive camera in the world to get anything worth looking at.

dybmapi
13-01-2004, 04:17 PM
[QUOTE=Brind]Thanks alot for the confidence Nick! :eek: :D

Shouldn't be any problem changing the bulbs, it's just like any other car.
I'm not touching the main beam bulbs or the lower fog lights, just the normal dipped beam headlights plus the free sidelights.
I never use the fog lights and main beam is only to blind people that get in my way or to thank people for letting me out a junction etc.
I am The Guinea pig though, I've just ordered them.:)

You can only melt the light enclosure if you fit wrong higher wattage bulbs in place of the normal wattage bulbs, these lights on the site are pretty much the same as usual, they just have a tint to give the effect of HID lights plus better brightness, the wattage is the same, if they melt then it's Philips's problem.:)

Hi guys,

i also thought the lights on the Galant VR4 are a little weak, so i searched and found replacement Xenon lights, for 330 US $ fitting included. This means two special Xenon bulbs, each linked to a little metal box that acts as a kind of transformer, and has to be linked to the electric system. Very tight to squeeze in the one on the right side of the car.
I only changed the main lights, which means only two of the four possible bulbs.
The effects are quite spectacular, this really changs everything at night, in the winter.

If you find a reliable source in the UK, do not hesitate.

Pierre

zedy1
13-01-2004, 04:44 PM
im cinsidering xenon lights

jaysback
13-01-2004, 06:20 PM
i would recomend them.
transforms nightime driving totaly.

and looks well cool to boot.
get some led side lights to go with it as the normal ones look very yellow compared to the HID conversion.

i know piaa do some
and have seen a few knocking around on ebay.
i dont know if you can get the same fitting led bulbs but on mine a had do do some soldering on of new lamp holders.
got mine of the dash of a reliant robin INSERT INTO post VALUES (plastic pig) to traders out there:)