PDA

View Full Version : De-oranged indicators and Angels on mine

Smokinmasta2
03-04-2005, 09:58 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/Smokinmasta/noorange.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/Smokinmasta/Angel2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/Smokinmasta/Angel1.jpg
Went to psbarham's house toady and had a ver productive day - Paul done an excellent job on the 3G brakes and had we had a play with headlights........
Gone for single Angel-eyes (the large ones i got were too big anyway!), and took out the orange indicator cover whilst th headlights were apart!!
Will do a write up about doing this 'mod' during the week.

Smokin..............

psbarham
03-04-2005, 10:13 PM
those brakes were a joy to fit , the kit had everthing you would need to fit them including copper grease , emery cloth , self adesive anti squeal shims and even some brembo branded brake cleaner oh and the best bit was the very shiney stickers !!!!! these got left in the box , we would have fitted them but its not a nova ! the disc's themselves were made to a very high standard and are well worth the money. as for the head lights well what else can i say than what a complete and uter bast@rd to take apart but look good when its all put back together .

Big Ian
03-04-2005, 10:57 PM
welcome to the "angel eye club"
ive had mine in-place for near 2yrs and peep's still look an stare :thumbsup:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/500000-500999/500686_82_full.jpg

Kieran
03-04-2005, 11:43 PM
Looking forward to seeing the writeup there, Smokin!! Those indicators improve the car no end... I wouldn't have thought that such a small thing would make such a difference! :thumbsup:

I really like the Angel eyes too! :thumbsup:

bernmc
04-04-2005, 08:52 AM
I wouldn't have thought that such a small thing would make such a difference!
Funny, that gets said a lot to me ;):leer:;):embarasse

pezza
04-04-2005, 10:27 AM
..... Those indicators improve the car no end... I wouldn't have thought that such a small thing would make such a difference! :thumbsup:

Yep especially on the silver car...

Top work Smokin/PSBarnham.... I may need my headlamps resealing... can I send em to you guys? :thumbsup: /yes :rolleyes4

Smokinmasta2
04-04-2005, 11:13 AM
Yes m8 no prob :) :)

Smokin...................

colVR4
04-04-2005, 12:29 PM
Any chance someone is going to take on the production of Galant Angel Eyes as a side project to earn a little extra cash? I don't mind spending a few extra quid to have someone make the kit up for me. Would anybody else be interested in getting some made up?

How about you Ian, got the spare time? :D

i3ooyah
04-04-2005, 12:52 PM
looks mint

jus need to dump its ass now

Smokinmasta2
04-04-2005, 05:30 PM
Any chance someone is going to take on the production of Galant Angel Eyes as a side project to earn a little extra cash? I don't mind spending a few extra quid to have someone make the kit up for me. Would anybody else be interested in getting some made up?

How about you Ian, got the spare time? :D

Yeah i will look into it m8 - need a spare set of headlights and will have to do on an exchange basis. Will look for some brighter Eyes though - dont seem all that bright (pics are a little deceiving) or maybe keep sidelight bulbs also to see what they look like then (the rings light up with any light present)

But with most things, need a few peeps interested and unless it's carbon bonnets nobody seems interested mind...................

Smokin.............

colVR4
04-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Just bought the angel-eyes kit from e-bay, so I'm going to have a go myself. I am thinking about going to the breakers yard and picking up some spare headlights while I do it though....just in case!!

psbarham
04-04-2005, 08:13 PM
Just bought the angel-eyes kit from e-bay, so I'm going to have a go myself. I am thinking about going to the breakers yard and picking up some spare headlights while I do it though....just in case!!
you are only an hour away !!!! as they say on all the cheeseyest(??) game shows "come on down"

Big Ian
04-04-2005, 09:05 PM
Col, /help "ebay one's!"i went through 2 set's of them then decided ,"ehh!! think i'll make my own?"..which i did and (touch wood) they are still working /yes .
i got about 4-6 week's use from the ebay one's and they burnt out! and ive had over a year from my own ...so far :thumbsup: also my own are brighter,but i had stuck the standard side light bulb back in for over the winter :rolleyes4

Dan_G
04-04-2005, 09:21 PM
hehe angel eyes...... I do like em.....

nice look you've got goin with the car m8 /yes

colVR4
05-04-2005, 09:01 AM
Ian, I remember reading about all your problems with the ones from flea-bay. I have also read somewhere that LEDs are very susceptible to changes in voltage and current. I probably need some resistors or something to protect them, or some other electronic trickery to regulate the voltage.
Knowing absolutely begger all about electronics, I am going to have to do some research.

Big Ian
05-04-2005, 09:45 AM
you could try resistors...but it's knowing what one's to use as the ebay kit does'nt tell you what watage the led's are? (not that that matters to much :rolleyes4 )
i know it say's for 12v use but i'd try a resistor :thumbsup: they may need brought down by about 3-4 volt's (to be safe) as a car battery run's close to 14 or 15v when the engine is running and that factor may not have been built in to the kit?

Big Ian
05-04-2005, 10:42 AM
:embarasse last post did'nt show?

I-S
05-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Col- if you need any help with electronics, it's what I do...

colVR4
05-04-2005, 12:16 PM
I have been doing some reading about LEDs. AFAIK LEDs are good for 100,000 hrs of use under the correct conditions, but heat and static electricity damages them. Their life can also be shortened by incorrect voltage levels but are usually safe to operate above the voltage stated.

I am wondering if you have to be careful to keep the LED as far away from the bulbs in the headlight unit as possible, which is why on Beamers they have fibre-optics to feed the lights to the Angel-Eye units.

It can't hurt to put in a resistor to reduce the voltage, but this would also reduce the brightness of the LED as well, wouldn't it?

I-S
05-04-2005, 01:06 PM
Not really... Once a LED has got to its turn-on voltage it won't get much brighter before you start causing damage. You can get some obscenely bright LEDs that don't require much voltage (I got some in one time that could give you retinal after-images from 20ft away, running off 2.1V).

It would be best to create a simple voltage regulator circuit to give the LED a stable voltage regardless of the voltage on the 12V feed. The parts for this would cost around £3 or so.