PDA

View Full Version : Broken Car

v8killa
04-04-2005, 08:30 AM
I need opinions/advice on what to do with my car.

Purchased:11.07.03

Its had a major oil leak - greenpeace was outside my house protesting (maybe a bit of exageration) - 1 or more weeks off the road while being repaired

It broke down at 130km/h in 3rd gear, passing 4 (four) cars at Manukau Levin - 2 weeks off the road. (crank angle sensor broke). I was assured there would be no more problems and the car was top notch.

Now the above was in the 1st month - covered by the car yard, they told me after that I would have to use my breakdown insurance (Protecta) - "no worries" I said...

November: asc and abs failure lights, ayc bars going nutty on my dash after the 45 minute drive from wellington to waikanae, thought nothing of it, turned the thing off then started it again about 1/2 hour later no problems - or so I thought.

31 dec: the above warning lights + violent movements sideways from the rear end. Nowhere to stop, just past suicide roundabout at Panmure heading for Barrack rd, Mt Wellington.
Car undriveable - mechanics closed till 5th, no way home, work starts 12th Jan in wellington.
Rang Protecta, booked car in at Nationwide, Panmure - hitched a ride to Wellington.
Flew up to Auckland when car was ready - repair lasted till Levin - same problems as above.

January: Car goes in again across the road from my office, get it back thursday afternoon of easter (nearly 3 months), the repair lasts almost 10 minutes before failing again. same problem as above.
Car goes in again tuesday after easter - mechanic just about in tears.
(no codes according to mutt 3)
NOW poor Trigger can't get a warrant of fitness because of the dodgy abs circuit.

Question: Because I did what the car yard (Coventry Cars Wgtn) said, and used my breakdown insurance - do I still have come back under the consumer guarantees act. "must be suitable for its intended purpose" - meaning to be driven, which at the moment is legally not allowed due to its problems. I have emailed them twice with no response. I told them I want the car replaced, so its no wonder they are silent on the subject.

Anyone got any ideas on what to do next??? I am at my wits end with this sh!t.

Cheers Murray.

Kenneth
04-04-2005, 09:13 AM
you know anyone with some legal knowledge? Your best bet would be to find out from someone with said legal knowledge what your options are.

Paul Beazer
04-04-2005, 09:10 PM
you know anyone with some legal knowledge? Your best bet would be to find out from someone with said legal knowledge what your options are.

Totally agree, legal advise is definetly recommended, at the end of the day, if they sold you a dud car, unfit for its purpose, then I presume your warranty should allow for you to politely shove it up their ar*es! Far too much money to throw away. Better to walk away with a full refund. Besides, even if it was totally sorted out, would you honestly have any faith in the car again?

It would break my heart if i was in the same position as you, but there is nothing worse than driving a car you dont feel confident with!

Hope you get it sorted mate! :thumbsup:

v8killa
04-04-2005, 10:27 PM
I have in the few times I've driven it this year, driven it like a helicopter pilot would drive his machine.

Meaning it could quit at any moment - not a nice feeling...

Kenneth
04-04-2005, 10:37 PM
I have in the few times I've driven it this year, driven it like a helicopter pilot would drive his machine.

Meaning it could quit at any moment - not a nice feeling...

Thats a real shame, because the VR-4 is such a nice car to drive. I get into other cars that I used to think were nice cars to drive, and now they feel like tractors.