PDA

View Full Version : Help i cant find a hole/ICE related

caishanvr4
07-04-2005, 01:09 AM
Weather permiting i will be installing my old ICE system hijacked out of my 200sx this weekend. I initialy intended to install it last weekend but on trying to install the power cable i couldn't find a place to thread it through the engine bay :embarasse
Where is the best place to thread through without having to unbolt anything inside? The other thing is i want to stick some 6x9's on the rear shelf but it looks like there will def be some cutting involved. whats the best tool to use. I have a big hammer and some bolt cutters :smash:
If anyone happens to live within 50 miles or so im willing to travel and get it sorted as many hands make light work, oh and of course a couple of beverages:thumbsup:

dickytim
07-04-2005, 06:47 AM
what size cable are you running ?

I ran mine up thru the inner guard on the left hand side right next to the battery, to do this you need to take the left hand side wheel off and the plastic inner guard thingy, because I was running 0 gauge wire I needed to take out the air con stuff behind the glove box, smaller wire you should be sweet.

My adevice for the 6x9's is sell them and get a nice set of 6.5" rear co axial speakers for the rear, you will enjoy the better sound these produce, ie Alpine type s, or similar.

konman
07-04-2005, 09:59 PM
this is an arse job... took me ages... god one of my mates brothers to give me directions, he installs for a living. he suggested go from battery, under the strut brace and into the firewall through a rubber grommet far left hand side corner as you look at it. that empties into the wheel arch behind the plastic cowling, pop the indicator out, get some long plier, pull the cable through then feed it back through another rubber grommet, youll see it in there, its fiddly, but youll get it eventually. then feed it into the cabin and do with it what you will. i'd post some pix but im an idiot who can work out how.

good luck

caishanvr4
07-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Konman, U aint an idiot, ithank you for your imput as it gives me another option of wiring up.
MUCH LOL :thumbsup: U too dickytim

Looks like its gonna be a hellova job and i aint got alot of time to spend to get it sorted on sat/sun so im looking for the quickest option /help

My wife is already hacked off with the quality time i spend with my mistress VR4 /grr

BraindG
08-04-2005, 12:04 AM
tip, when your feeding the cable into the cabin (from the wheel arch) stick some oil onto the cable.. i stuck a0 gauge through there and it was an utter **** to do.. stuck some oil on it, and through it went, nice and easy..

SGHOM
08-04-2005, 12:08 AM
stuck some oil on it, and through it went, nice and easy..
can I take it then you're next for Legnum Boys signature ?? :rolleyes4 /yes /yes

BraindG
08-04-2005, 12:22 AM
but not a truerer work was said :D

Roberto
08-04-2005, 11:16 PM
When I was putting the 0g to the boot, I had a long hard look at this.

And finally found a grommeted hole on the passenger side of the tramsmission tunnel. There is a solid plastic rain/water shield in the engine bay, with what I remember being a 3/4ince grommet.

Take off the passenger side of the transmission tunnel, get a torch and have a good look about a foot above the floor, you should see it. :thumbsup:

Yes the job is not at all nice.

Yes blood was shed.

Yes there were alot of swear words uttered.

But much easier the the wheel arch which was thought to be the only way through.

The alarm install showed the way but different hole, looked like he even missed the easier way.

By the way its much easier to work on than the MR2, even the pros refused to do the job on that car, after I told them a mate wanted the same work done.

Hope you get some nice :drummer: when all in up and running.

caishanvr4
10-04-2005, 12:57 PM
saturday morning came and i approached the car to wire up the system, popped the bonnet and looked for a space to stick the power cable, looked scratched me head, looked for another 5mins then i thought sod it, took the car straight to an ice shop round the corner and paid £50 quid for a full install. system sounds heavy but i now have another niggling problem in the interior... the rear view mirror shakes like hell and makes an irritating rattling noise aaarrrgggh /help

dickytim
10-04-2005, 07:24 PM
the only way to remedy this is to remove the mirror, welcome to the unending quest to get rid of rattles, my main concern would be with the door rattles when you put a decent set of components in there.....

Roberto
10-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Yes I have to say I ended up with the exact same problem.

But when time allows I will be working on some sort of brace system to solve it.

dickytim
11-04-2005, 06:28 AM
I was going to look at moving the mirror from the windscreen to in the roof lining, this is however on of those I'LL do it when i am super bored and have watched all of my DVD's 3 times, and done all my house work week ends....

ie never

caishanvr4
11-04-2005, 12:58 PM
I was thinking one of the misses hair clips but she wont be best pleased so the next best thing would be crocodile clips :rolleyes4

Roberto
11-04-2005, 11:54 PM
Thats an awful thing to call your misses.... :rolleyes4

Roberto
28-04-2005, 09:59 AM
As I said I finally got to address the problem of the rear view mirror vibrating
with the bass turned up, ok so thats all the time.

Problem:
1. You cannot see out the back (who cares every one is behind us anyway :leer: )

2. Horrible annoying noise, FROM THE MIRROR :thumbsdow

Solution.
Working on night shift, abit bored, check out every thing in the stores
and everything we use for repairs to the tools (i am a tech in the semi-conductor industryand an electrician)

Finally found some hard plastic pnumatic pipe connectors, about the size I was looking for.

Tried some different conbinations and eureka, IT WORKS.

Took the bits home and abit of black insulating tape later.

:drummer:

Maybe not the best looking, but certainly works.

Its only jammed in place, but does not move and mirror adjusted correctly.

I am the only one that drives the car so no problems with others making a mess if it.

caishanvr4
28-04-2005, 11:07 AM
Well done to that man, i too have cured the rattles by wrapping two thick elastic bands round and double it up around the middle of the mirror. it still shakes like shakin stevens on a zimmerframe on ice but it does the job :drummer: