View Full Version : General Steering Question

Darren
07-04-2005, 09:14 PM
How would you rate your steering ?
At low speed like parking -
At medium speed like twisties -
At high speed 70+ -

Before I had my lower ball joint recalled I would have rated it like this

At low speed like parking - Reasonably light, but not girly.
At medium speed like twisties - Medium not heavy and not light
At high speed 70+ - Heavy, planted and good feed back, like I could feel the wheel pulling the thing straight.

After the job it all feels a bit girly. Anyone else had this. The car feels a little bit vague now and whilst I know to trust the handling, It's just not as sporty as it used to be. Anyone give be some feed back? It also seem to pull to the left ever so slightly.

BraindG
07-04-2005, 09:44 PM
Darren, i have the exact same problem..
i get pulling to the left (pretty badly) and its just not right when flinging it round the place. it, just.... doesn't feel right, or safe for that matter..

Its hard to describe.. before, i was sure of what the car would do. you can feel the road, and where the car is, and wants to go. However now, its just a bit vague as you say, i find my self taking the power off os i feel im going to lose the back end.. i have no idea what it is, or what may be causing it.

I checked everything on the car the other weekend, took the entire suspension assembly appart, and checked every moving part on each corner of the car.. however nothing was lose, or feels out of place..

once ive had the AYC switch replaced, and all the oils relating to the diff/ayc replaced ill give another update.

Kenneth
07-04-2005, 09:45 PM
Those of us with non-stock suspension setups will get different handling. Mine has height adjustables (so I have lowered it) with sport (but unadjustable) dampening.

At low speed: A bit rough, turning circle is not great and its a bit of a pain (very low speed im talking about. anything above say 20 km/h go to moderate)

Moderate speed: tight as a nuns... er :embarasse well, very tight!

High speed: Same as moderate speed... cant quite turn as sharp though.

Dunno why I am replying to a post in UK chat, but hey :rolleyes4

Darren
07-04-2005, 10:24 PM
Barry, you just had the ball joints replaced recently?
Pleased someone gets what I mean TBH, thought it was because it took nearly 2 months for them to gets warranty dept to confirm for me. So I hadn't driven in while, but the feel hasn't improved.

Kenneth, I had uprated shocks on the car so it's solid enough, but the car feels a bit like the tyres are flexing more than they should be, I know they aren't but that's all I can really describe it as.

BraindG
07-04-2005, 10:32 PM
ive had the problem for a while now though.. not since the replacement.. i was hoping replacing the ball joints was gonna fix the problem..

but, we may have common link somewhere else..

you mentiond tyres, i thought this.. i replaced them with brand new ones.. and it didnt cure the problem.. the best way i suppose would be to swap wheels with someone elses car tht doesnt suffer from the problem..

i have a feeling its something to do with the multilink, or perhaps a driveshaft..
how many miles your car done now?

Darren
08-04-2005, 08:00 AM
I think i'm up to about 90k miles.

what about track rod ends? the guy at the garage said the left one was looking felt like it needed replacing when he did the orginal check, put his hand up there and gave it a wiggle.

I have the same wheels and tyres on as before, and the tyres are newish, goodyear eagle f1 g3's on 17's.

Saying that the trackrod end is on the left and it is pulling that way.

trox1406
10-04-2005, 09:32 PM
from what you are reporting i would say that i am having the same problem. it's something i just can't put my finger on but on left turns i feel like im losing the back end. had it in the garage an they replaced steering sensor ( no joy ) then bled the AYC and still no joy. its making me lose patience with my car big time. mitsi didn't have a clue though