PDA

View Full Version : Clonk!

I-S
08-04-2005, 11:46 AM
I have a clonking from the front offside suspension. Again. Both of the lower arms have been replaced within the last year, so it isn't (or shouldn't be) them.

The problem seems to come about after braking, when pulling away again it goes "clonk", and it also seems to occur when accelerating in a right-hand corner.

Kieran has heard it, so can maybe add to the characterisation.

I'm pretty sure it's not the brakes now, as they're working very nicely and quietly now.

Could it be the bushings? If so, where do I get new ones and how much of a pain are they to fit?

Otherwise, what else might it be?

-LegnumVR4-
08-04-2005, 12:46 PM
Theres the upper 'A' arms ball joint and the bushes that are in the 'A' arm it'self. Just pop the 'A' arm off and see if the large threaded pins are flopping about, if so the bushes are stuffed.

The other could be the tie rod end.

Kenneth
08-04-2005, 11:20 PM
how is the handling when you do this?

could be that your dampner is buggered, in which case it just bottoms out.

I-S
08-04-2005, 11:40 PM
No, it's not under that kind of load... it typically happens at low speeds, and it certainly isn't bottoming out. Handling is normal.

Kenneth
09-04-2005, 06:00 AM
I have been in cars where the shocks were shot, and it would bottom out (clonk) going slowly around a round-about.

If your handling is not adversly affected, its not likely to be your shocks though... good luck in your search.

now that I am thinking of it... I DID have something similar to what you describe in my galant. the clonking was sort of in the region of the window washer fluid tank. my mechanic checked it out, but couldn't find what caused it. He checked the suspension and everything.

Paul Beazer
09-04-2005, 01:13 PM
now that I am thinking of it... I DID have something similar to what you describe in my galant. the clonking was sort of in the region of the window washer fluid tank. my mechanic checked it out, but couldn't find what caused it. He checked the suspension and everything.

That'll be lumpy screenwasher fluid then! Did you whisk it properly when you were mixing it? :rolleyes4

The Vee
09-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Could be many things and difficult to diagnose without seeing it/feeling it. But a longer shot if you've checked out other suggestions is the engine mounting on the top of the R/H inner wing. it's the big round one. if worn it can slide backwards and forwards on its throughbolt and cause a clonk. the movement is caused as the engine reacts to load/over run. Maybe worth a look. Another possibility is driveshaft, but there will always be many "could be's"

Edit, Sorry mate, just noticed you're talking about a 2.0 Don't honestly know if this has the same engine mounting.

Gly
10-04-2005, 07:16 AM
i had a similar noise from mine..
theres a suspention arm guard just behind the rear of the front wheel,
hangs fairly low so not hard to miss..

coz my car had been lowered so much it had been knocked a few times and was right up against the arm,
i could only hear it just as i was coming to a stop, or going verly slowly.

got a new guard, and the noise is gone

Big Ian
12-04-2005, 02:27 PM
isaac...have you changed your front disc's?
just i know of another member with a similar problem....and he think's there may be some "play"(movement) with his new Black-Diamond front disc's?

Sulli
12-04-2005, 02:41 PM
Driveshaft, CVs, wheel bearing???

I-S
12-04-2005, 03:02 PM
Ian - yes, I have BD front discs. However, the problem has only arisen since the car was serviced a few weeks ago, and remained the same before and after Kieran and I took the discs off and cleaned things up. Who is this other member?

I-S
12-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Sulli - that's expensive stuff and I don't want to hear it.

Sulli
12-04-2005, 09:43 PM
Oh....I see....

Well I was actuallytrying to make up a song, in the style of Heads, Shoulders, Knees and Toes; to teach my 12 month old girl the workings of a car:

"Driveshaft, CVs, wheel bearing, Hub and wheel, Hub and wheel", come on, sing along :drummer:

Sorry to worry you unecessarily ;)

psbarham
12-04-2005, 09:47 PM
"Driveshaft, CVs, wheel bearing, Hub and wheel, Hub and wheel",
hub and wheel ,Driveshaft, CVs, wheel bearing, Hub and wheel, Hub and wheel ,hub and wheel and dif and gears and clutch and crank ................. :embarasse