PDA

View Full Version : gearboxes, & It's not good news

SGHOM
09-04-2005, 12:37 PM
My car is booked in on weds for the leak to be fixed. I also wanted to have a chat with them about gearbox strengthening. instead, I just had to listen to Adrian telling all he knows about our gearboxes. [ he's been building box's for over 30 yrs !! ]
sh!te !! absolute sh!te !! /yes :rolleyes4
all mitsy boxes are the same, rubbish.
he then went on to explain why, & I need to go back & chat further with him, 'cause he was in a rush to leave, & I've never heard anyone talk so fast !! :rolleyes4
basically, there is a fundamental design fault in all Mitsy boxes, that being the direction of oil flow. now, dont ask me to explain further 'cause I cant remember what he said apart from there is nothing you can do to strengthen the box.
The way the oil is directed around the box means it picks all kinds of cr@p up on its way, & premature failure is inevitable !! :embarasse
I think I'll take a tape recorder or pen & paper next wednesday. /help

More details to follow !!

Kieran
09-04-2005, 04:20 PM
I am reading this with a skeptical frown on my face.... I don't doubt the guy's ability to tear down and rebuild a gearbox. However.... when people have been doing the same thing for 30 odd years, surely there's an element of prejudice?

And... if premature failure was such a problem, why do people like Pete Johnson, H.7, and you and BDA not have totally knackered 'boxes?! :inquisiti

I shall be interested to hear why the direction of the ATF flow prevents strengthening!

Roadrunner
09-04-2005, 11:27 PM
What would rank as premature failure? My old car has 104k miles and the box is fine ...

zentac
10-04-2005, 07:14 AM
hmmm in a word - bollox ! - Ive seen uprated boxes in Japan. There are parts available on the web (somewhere) to do it, including uprated torque convertors.

Trow
10-04-2005, 08:54 AM
ahhhh you should all move to a REAL gearbox (manual) far better... unless you forget the oil!!

/sits back waiting for the flaming :happy:

d3x
11-04-2005, 01:28 PM
ahhhh you should all move to a REAL gearbox (manual) far better... unless you forget the oil!!

/sits back waiting for the flaming :happy: cheeky get! :smug: At least we never suffer clutch slip!!!!!

I'm sure I read some where on this site that Porsche had a hand in the creation of our gearbox, I would have thought the time and money these guys have spent creating such boxes makes this info (no strengthening options) seem a little, well, rubbish.

d3x
11-04-2005, 03:03 PM

/sits back waiting for the flaming :happy: cheeky get! :smug: At least we never suffer clutch slip!!!!!

I'm sure I read some where on this site that Porsche had a hand in the creation of our gearbox, I would have thought the time and money these guys have spent creating such boxes makes this info (no strengthening options) seem a little, well, rubbish.

Jimbo
11-04-2005, 03:31 PM
I'm sure I read some where on this site that Porsche had a hand in the creation of our gearbox

I keep hearing that too....surely that's not the case though, is it? I always thought the Porsche link was just that they invented and patented the first tiptronic box (with the sportomatic gearbox's on early 70's 911's) and that everyone else, like Mitsy, making their own version had to pay a licence to them....?

Does anyone know for sure?

Geordie Iain
11-04-2005, 06:21 PM
Have a look here http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3447&highlight=porsche

Jimbo
11-04-2005, 07:17 PM
Ah, the bonkers vr4ever bloke, those were the days...... /reminisces

psbarham
11-04-2005, 08:24 PM
i know its none of my buisness but i live in a poxy little village and theres not a lot to do so you tend to get nosey , so why did vr4ever get banned ? and why does every body think he's nuts?

SGHOM
11-04-2005, 08:32 PM
ermm................. 300 posts per day for a starters !! /yes
& then the abuse came. /grr /help

psbarham
11-04-2005, 08:35 PM
ermm................. 300 posts per day for a starters !! /yes
& then the abuse came. /grr /help
abuse at who ? 300 per day didn't he anything better to do

Paul Beazer
11-04-2005, 09:33 PM
abuse at who ? 300 per day didn't he anything better to do
How bizarre, I was wondering about him the other week too. Regular or extra special nutter? :inquisiti

Nick Mann
11-04-2005, 10:04 PM
Search on his previous posts - that'll give you an idea of his general barmyness. However, the abusive ones have pretty much all been deleted, so you won't see those, I'm afraid.

Meantime - back to the Porsche question!!

SGHOM
13-04-2005, 09:55 AM
I took my car into M & T transmissions this morning, along with the 3 seals ordered from Mitsy.
" yep" thats the torque seal " dont know what the other 2 are though ?? " where's the rest of them ? :rolleyes4 doesn't matter, we get our own seals from another supplier as Mitsy are useless ! [ tell me summat I dont know !! /yes ]
" just what is the problem with the box ?"
well, as some of you already know, my box hardly loses any ATF untill it gets fully warmed up, ie; at least 50 miles of driving, then It starts pouring out.

" thats not a torque seal problem, thats an internal fault" WTF !! :embarasse

now.............. my mechanic did mention about breather problems with these gearboxes ages ago ? maybe I should have taken his advice back then.
basically now, they're going to take the box out & see what the problem is, but he did say It's almost certain I will need a new box ! :embarasse :embarasse /help

" I'll ring Shami up, & see if he's got one, bit of a wide boy, but we buy so many boxe's from him, he knows not to try & rip us off "

" who's Shami I asked ?? " " he owns Jap spares in Rochdale " WTF !! I've just come back from there !! :rolleyes4
I know he has one in stock, he told me yesterday !! just depends on the price ?? /grr

meanwhile, back to my 1st post in this thread, who still think's these boxe's are succetable to problems ??
I think I'll start a list of who's had 'issues' with them. & also, I'll be getting more detailed info from MT tomorrow, along with Richard [ Physician ] two heads are better than one !! /yes /yes

members with gearbox issues/faults/problems/failures etc;

1] interlec
2] Jimbo
3] Brunty
4] Sam
5] Legnum boy
6] Craig_1
7] Simon
8] Bonsai boy
9] Borgan
10] Dream Weaver

zedy1
13-04-2005, 10:55 AM
derek give me a call on 07815886478

enigma
13-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Dont forget Simon, although his and Jimbos problems were not actually mechanical problems.

Oh and Bonsai Boy, but his was an output shaft issue not an internal fundamental flaw.

What about borgan, he has had clutch slip.........

I am very wary about MTs attitude, yes they may not be great boxes in the grand scheme of all things automatic, but it depends on your definition. My box has held out superbly! I cant accept that they have had many VR4 boxes in, we as a club would have known about it.

9/10 bull$hit and 1/10 experience is my summary

Not doubting their ability though as I have not experienced it. Be careful Derek, it could get expensive!

SGHOM
13-04-2005, 11:11 AM
I am very wary about MTs attitude, yes they may not be great boxes in the grand scheme of all things automatic, but it depends on your definition. My box has held out superbly! I cant accept that they have had many VR4 boxes in, we as a club would have known about it.

9/10 bull$hit and 1/10 experience is my summary

Not doubting their ability though as I have not experienced it. Be careful Derek, it could get expensive!

Rich & myself will pick Adrians brains at great lenght tomorrow !! /yes
My box has been leaking since I bought it, yet has had no ATF put in it since the last visit to the pod ! come to think of it................. I didn't put any in then !! :rolleyes4
As you say Dave, yours has held out very well, & so has mine ?? 450 bhp, & umpteen runs at the pod ?? /yes
I'm tempted to leave it as it is, save myself a small fortune, & let nature take it's course ??
If I recall, my very 1st post, 2 years ago was about gearbox problem !! :rolleyes4 :rolleyes4

SGHOM
14-04-2005, 06:54 PM
well ! my gearbox has survived the last 2 years of leaking & abusing ! /yes
the problem, hopefully, was found to be the torque converter seal not seated properly ?? It was protruding from it's housing a few millimeters ? & ATF was leaking from it even though the box was out of the car & on the floor !
no one seems sure as to how the seal became unseated. It could have been incorectly fitted if It's been out before, or more likely, abuse !! & pressure building up behind it due to cooking the box a few times ! :embarasse
a new seal has been fitted & loctite used to ensure it stays put.

pics to follow, I need to install the software on this new complexicator ! /help

/edit; not sure how clear it is, but the seal [ arrowed ] is not fully located !!
I think a long run tomorrow should find out if it's cured the leak ! /yes

SGHOM
15-04-2005, 11:29 AM
a piece from the starship enterprise ?? or my talk converter !! /yes /yes
overall, the box looked in damned good nick ! :thumbsup:

Kieran
15-04-2005, 11:48 AM
Where are M&T Transmissions based? Are the labour rates reasonable?...

/Cuts to chase... :embarasse

Any idea if they'd sort my gearbox out whilst I'm on honeymoon?!

Would be grateful if you could get a quote when you next visit! :inquisiti

SGHOM
15-04-2005, 11:57 AM
M & T Transmissions ltd
R/O Murco sevice station
120 Bradway rd
Sheffield
S17 4QW

tel; 0114 236 3617

Kieran
15-04-2005, 12:19 PM
Cheers Derek :thumbsup:

Just called 'em and they've given me a rough estimate of about £500ish, depending on what needs doing. If that sounds reasonable, then I think I'll get someone to drop the car off with them whilst we're on honeymoon and they can sort it then /yes

SGHOM
15-04-2005, 12:26 PM
he's just called me to say car's sorted !! :thumbsup:
but......................................£490 +Vat :embarasse :embarasse /grr

shooter
25-04-2005, 09:22 PM
You can add me to the list of gearbox replacements. done 2 weeks ago

Fortunatelty mine was done under warranty new box and torque converter. Symptom was a severe judder at 1500 rpm. but was fine at all other times. Survived many 1/4 mile runs at Crail and to be honest if I was paying it would still be in there.

Garage came up with some reason about a one way clutch or a splined shaft causing the problem. Feeling is they didnt have a clue

Shooter

enigma
25-04-2005, 10:00 PM
What are your 1/4 times??? /yes

arnie
26-07-2005, 06:51 PM
ok add me to the list atf fluid goes quick on a long journey, gearbox booked in for linautos at fareham car has covered 64000 miles only with full rattiart service history, do you think they will contribute?

ritch_w
26-07-2005, 09:00 PM
ok add me to the list atf fluid goes quick on a long journey, gearbox booked in for linautos at fareham car has covered 64000 miles only with full rattiart service history, do you think they will contribute?

only if you have a red zebra warranty......