PDA

View Full Version : WTD; UK; front hub carriers

SGHOM
10-04-2005, 03:30 PM
I need a pair of post-facelift front hub carriers from a VR4.
I've been at Daves today, trying on the brembo's, & we're not convinced a bracket can be successfully made to carry the new calipers. :rolleyes4
the difference in the spacing between the bolt holes on the standard & brembo calipers, is too narrow. the new bolt holes will almost be overlapping the existing ones !!
I think the only other solution would to be cut out the whole of the lower section of the hub carrier, & try & weld in a new section. but............ when I'm on a track at over 100mph, & approaching a corner !! relying on a weld ?? :embarasse :embarasse

I think new ones are the safest option ! /yes

psbarham
10-04-2005, 08:32 PM
i did wonder about that , bit of a bummer ain't it . like you say i wouldn't trust a diy weld on cast ,you should be able to get a local welders to do it for you though ,just make sure they put it in a really hot oven for an hour or so so it doesnt warp or crack . the best option is a new pair of hubs , what about asking mitsubishi ,if nothing else it'll give you a laugh

SGHOM
10-04-2005, 08:35 PM
what about asking mitsubishi ,if nothing else it'll give you a laugh
that's where I'm off to in the morning, to pick up my torque converter seal. I'll take a seat before he tells me the price !! :embarasse :rolleyes4 :rolleyes4

The Vee
10-04-2005, 10:28 PM
or even nippon spares (find it on web - don't know how to do a link :embarasse )

Kieran
10-04-2005, 11:32 PM
or even nippon spares (find it on web - don't know how to do a link :embarasse )

I do! :smug:

Try these two - They are different companies I think? But one may be able to help... :inquisiti

http://www.nipponspares.com/

http://www.nipponautomotive.co.uk/

SGHOM
11-04-2005, 01:10 PM
OK, I've located a pair of front hub carriers [ from a '98 car ] from a scrap yard ! & as with everything Mitsubishi, they've cost me a squillion mega bucks !! /grr /yes :embarasse :embarasse .
I'm going to pick them up personally tomorrow, just to make sure they are the correct ones. /yes

Nick Mann
11-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Needs to be late '98 to be the facelift, D. Glad you are going to check.

SGHOM
11-04-2005, 01:16 PM
Needs to be late '98 to be the facelift, D. Glad you are going to check.
I specifically asked the question regarding post-facelift. his reply was " It's not the 96 to 98 model, It's the 98 to 2001" hope he's right, It's a long way ! :embarasse

SGHOM
11-04-2005, 11:58 PM
£300 for a pair of hub carriers !! from a scrap yard !! :embarasse /grr
these brembo's arn't the bargain I'd counted on !! :rolleyes4
ah well.......... my mitsubishi money pit bites again ! /help

bernmc
12-04-2005, 11:13 AM
Yoiks! I suppose that for front's alone your looking at around 700ish for the carriers, calipers and discs. Still half of a set of KADS.

I'm so tempted by these 6 pots on fleabay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4541953745&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT) - the porsche distance is 130mm between mounting holes, so it's not far off ours. Not sure about the offset though, and I just haven't got the money :bigcry:

SGHOM
12-04-2005, 05:07 PM
found the carriers at www.247spares.co.uk despatched an e'mail, & they say you will receive a reply within 45 mins !! :rolleyes4
30 mins later, text message on my phone from a scrap yard in Rochdale saying they have the carriers in stock, & can deliver within 24 hrs ! cool !! /yes

After several calls to them to make sure they were correct, I decided to travel up there, to make sure. as promised, I called them when I was an hour away, so they can get them off the donor car. easy so far !! :thumbsup:

then the fun started.............. the car was not actually at that yard, It was at a mates lock up garage, & he couldn't get in touch with him ! 45 mins past, & finally I was told he'd got them off & was on his way down.

An hour later, the guy at the yard decided to go & help him, 'cause he'd only managed one side. /help

After a long wander around & 15 fags later, they eventually turned up with the identical hub carriers I've already got !! DOH !! /grr /grr

Back to my search ! /yes but............................ they do have a VR4 engine & tip box !! :inquisiti

zedy1
12-04-2005, 11:31 PM
derek do you have there phone number?

SGHOM
12-04-2005, 11:36 PM
derek do you have there phone number?
I'll PM it to you Mo.

but not until I decide wether I'm buying it !! :evil2: /yes /yes

SGHOM
13-04-2005, 03:55 PM
OK !! found some !!
I thought the scrap yard was a bit steep at £150 per side ! :embarasse & as I could not locate any others elsewhere, I resorted to Mitsubishi. /help :embarasse
nearside in group stock, 7 of them, off side on back order from Japan. :rolleyes4 apparently, peeps tend to kerb their cars, hence N/S in stock !!
& the dealer price ?? .......... £184 per side !! /yes /yes

more than I wanted to pay, but hey ho ! :embarasse

/edit. forgot to say thats plus the prime ministers stalkers cut ! :evil2:

SGHOM
15-04-2005, 10:52 AM
& it fits !! :thumbsup:

enigma
15-04-2005, 11:24 AM
& it fits !! :thumbsup:

you muppet! One caliper will be no good at Japfest!

Did you check how long the other one will take? 12 weeks would be about the norm :inquisiti

SGHOM
15-04-2005, 11:27 AM
2 weeks.

yeah right !! /grr :rolleyes4 :rolleyes4