PDA

View Full Version : Speed Rating.

Nick Mann
12-04-2005, 10:19 PM
Is VR a good enought speed rating? (150 mph)

I ask because of this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7966246289&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT).

I know its not an Eagle F1, but its a darn sight cheaper!!

SGHOM
12-04-2005, 10:24 PM
are you after price ?? or grip !! :embarasse
I know which I'd choose. /yes /yes

KiwiTT
12-04-2005, 10:30 PM
are you after price ?? or grip !! :embarasse
I know which I'd choose. /yes /yes

Hear ! Hear !

Don't skimp on tyres. They are what deliver whatever you have in the car.

Roadrunner
12-04-2005, 10:43 PM
Even though the VR-4's maximum speed is not above 149mph, V-rated tyres are not recommended because of its weight and cornering ability. I would always go for W Y or Z rated tyres.

But, it's your choice. If you never go fast, or corner fast, they'd probably do. Just remember, the tyres are the only things that are in contact with the grey stuff. If they let go, you're in the field ... ;)

Jimbo
12-04-2005, 10:54 PM
....or *** ***** "a lamppost on a public road"!

Kenneth
12-04-2005, 11:25 PM
I thought tyres were musical devices... they dont play tunes well though, as they only seem able to vary their pitch :rolleyes4

bensonsnuts
13-04-2005, 09:18 AM
What do your insurers require on the car . A lower speed rating would be an excuse to invalidate your policy in the event of a claim ??

bensonsnuts
13-04-2005, 09:19 AM
....or *** ***** "a lamppost on a public road"!

OR.....this years video at Castle Coombe :joker:

Nick Mann
13-04-2005, 09:45 AM
I know, I know, its a cheap tyre. But we have had a few big bills and I am running out of options. Even if those aren't tyres I go for, is the speed rating good for insurance purposes?

Rally205
13-04-2005, 12:10 PM
There is nothing wrong with Federal tyres. They are a quality brand, just very little known. I think they are linked to Bridgestone.

'V' rating would be ok for insurance purposes and unless you do a trackday every other weekend or drive like a lunatic there is no need to have a super soft expensive tyre. I would rather pay half the price and get twice the mileage than the other way round. :embarasse

Having said that though H.7. is right. What is the load rating on these tyres? Is it 91 or 92. What are all you Goodyear F1 boys running? The standard GSD3 F1's are only a 91 load rating and are not suitable for a heavy old Galant or Legnum. The factory load rating is a 92 so you would need the extra load rated F1's which are a 94 and a little more expensive. The guy I use for my tyres quoted me £105.35 a corner inc VAT and fitting for the extra load rated F1's.

So beware! Speed rating is important but so is load rating :happy:

Polabear
14-04-2005, 09:36 AM
Nick, I knows everybody here turns their noses up at them but the Falken's fit the bill, ask Nick-F1, Heath, or me and they have the right load rating too....see here..http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Falken&tiremodel=Ziex+ZE%2D512

and for prices see here....http://www.mytyres.co.uk/

ANTHONY
14-04-2005, 02:46 PM
what a great site (my tyres ) even if you dont get them from there its a great place to start and to get an idear ...................cheers :thumbsup:

Jimbo
14-04-2005, 04:10 PM
what a great site (my tyres ) even if you dont get them from there its a great place to start and to get an idear ...................cheers :thumbsup:

I have good reason to think they [mytyres] are stunning..........my last two 235x40x18's from them were delivered 8 weeks ago and still haven't been charged to my credit card yet :-ished:

So I think that deal beats everything else I've seen recently.....£115, £110, £100....I think £0 is considerably cheaper!

Do you think I should ring them and try to arrange a group-buy discount? :dizzy2: Maybe as a group purchase we might get them to include fitting, balancing and valves for £0.00 too /lol

Roadrunner
14-04-2005, 04:44 PM
I just bought two tyres from them for my wife's car. Local suppliers couldn't even buy them for the price that mytyres are delivering them.

HJM
14-04-2005, 06:24 PM
Nick, I knows everybody here turns their noses up at them but the Falken's fit the bill, ask Nick-F1, Heath, or me and they have the right load rating too....see here..http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Falken&tiremodel=Ziex+ZE%2D512

and for prices see here....http://www.mytyres.co.uk/

Too right Sean - we are on our second set of Falkens and they are great (not had the Eagle F1's but we are very happy with these) - we get them locally supplied and fitted for around £80 each :thumbsup:

psbarham
14-04-2005, 07:24 PM
i'm running those federals on my V6 and they provide more than enough grip even for my sprited driving style (just ask smokinmasta ), they also give you a gentle warning of impending lack of grip by gently sliding a bit , they are a bit noisy but nothing like bridgestones! i have had them on for a year and done around 12000 miles on them and they still have plenty of meat on them :thumbsup: