PDA

View Full Version : clunk.......... part deux !

SGHOM
12-04-2005, 10:20 PM
on my way to Rochdale today, I had a spirited drive up the snake pass, :rolleyes4 .... wasted journey though. :embarasse
I was looking forward to a spirited drive back down, but got stuck behind a lorry & a couple of cars. under normal circumstances, that would not be a problem, but the 1st car behind the lorry was a Derbyshire constabulary squad car !! :rolleyes4 I thought it best to stay put !
anyway, the last 8 or so miles, the car was vibrating badly ?? something was not right, so I nursed it towards home. a few miles further on & the vibration turned into a loud clunking, from the rear off side. /help
I stopped the car to check, & a couple of wheel nuts were loose, :embarasse [ I've got my spare 16's on ] tightened them up & carried on.
The clunking just got louder & louder, so I crawled the last mile or so home, so I could jack the car up & see what the problem was.
now... this is the embarrasing bit !! :embarasse :embarasse what I'd done is when putting spare wheels on, I'd left out the spacer ring !! & with the nuts coming loose, the wheels was oscillating, & banging against the caliper !! /yes :embarasse
I now have scored wheels, & battered calipers !! err.......................... with a few large chunks taken out of them !! :embarasse :embarasse

I know............... I'll get me coat ! :embarasse

bernmc
12-04-2005, 10:32 PM
Lucky you've got them brembos then :D

SGHOM
12-04-2005, 10:35 PM
I have 7 days to sort some carriers. /help
If not, the brembo's will be for sale. /yes /yes

Paul Beazer
12-04-2005, 10:38 PM
Lucky you didnt cane it more like. Make a smaller prayer to the god of tarmac and be thankful you were very lucky!! A wheel falling off on that road doesnt bear thinking about.
Blessed is a man with tight nuts!! :thumbsup:

Physician
13-04-2005, 12:28 AM
Pfffffffft !!!

Me thinks I'll check the van wheels on Thursday morning before venturing off for lunch !! :smug: