PDA

View Full Version : front mount intercoolers

ShadyNZer
13-04-2005, 01:25 AM
Hey, any recommendations?? coming into a bit of dosh and wouldnt mind gettin one...

-LegnumVR4-
13-04-2005, 06:15 AM
Bar and plate ones about a core size of 600x270x76mm. U'll have to cut a little bit of the impact beam to fit it but thats no biggy. Wouldn't remove the impact beam unless u want ur engine in ur lap after a crash. :rolleyes4

AllBeItMine
13-04-2005, 07:22 AM
Hey, any recommendations?? coming into a bit of dosh and wouldnt mind gettin one...

get one off Kam from www.hybridpower.co.nz and for a box of beers i can help you put it in.

edit: and if you do get one - make sure its fin'd on the inside as well. not one of these horrible chopped down truck cores.

ShadyNZer
13-04-2005, 08:45 PM
do those dudes at hybrid perf. make sure its fin'd?
as for the box of beers, i dont know the first thing bout installing it so i'd probably end up helping u lol...
would they sell the piping and all that as well or would it connect straight onto my car??

cheers

konman
14-04-2005, 01:50 AM
what are those hybrid guys like, is it good stuff, pretty cheap, but if its good then im all over their stuff.

ShadyNZer
15-04-2005, 04:27 AM
yeah same, im keen to get a front mount man...

Roadrunner
15-04-2005, 08:49 AM
Am I missing something? I thought the VR-4 intercooler is front-mounted ... :huh:

-LegnumVR4-
15-04-2005, 08:52 AM
Yeah they are, they just want a bigger 'bling' one.

Roadrunner
15-04-2005, 10:43 AM
Mmmm, nothing wrong with that ... :thumbsup:

ShadyNZer
16-04-2005, 09:03 AM
would this one fit?? what else would i need to get this on properly??
cheers

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts/Performance/Turbos/auction-25550425.htm

AllBeItMine
16-04-2005, 10:31 AM
would this one fit?? what else would i need to get this on properly??
cheers

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts/Performance/Turbos/auction-25550425.htm

its the same cooler i have in the front of my car. its a bit of a squeeze but it does fit.

as for the piping, i just used 3inch-2inch reducers with 90 degree bends in it and hooked it up to the standard piping. works fine.

1 HD VR4
18-04-2005, 04:56 AM
straight up man i love "ALLBEITMINES" intercooler man **** that is one nice job!!!
it gives the the vr4 that street hard look ya know???
ill give you a bloody keg if you could help me out with mine mate!!

ShadyNZer
26-07-2005, 02:55 PM
http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=31968338&permanent=

would this fit? should be alright aye??

bradc
26-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Yeah that will fit fine. That guy has over 2000 feedbacks, 100% positive, so he is definately a good trader.

You See
27-07-2005, 10:56 AM
what are those hybrid guys like, is it good stuff, pretty cheap, but if its good then im all over their stuff.

Yeah Kam's a good guy, tho he doesn't do any of the work...all the work is done at All Motor in Manukau, really good work and not a bad price either. As for the intercooler, I've got the Hybrid one...works a treat!

As for installation, I'm game to lend a helping hand....just don't forget the box of piss...haha Cheers! :chugchug:

OSiRiS
01-08-2005, 11:06 AM
I'm looking at getting mine done on the Legnum Super VR4. How did you get it behind the bumper though? Chop the back of the bumper abit for it to fit?

I know you'll have to remove the "grille" covering the gap -is this attached to the bumper by screws or something? Or will you have to cut the grille out?

My car isn't here right now so I can't see for myself, will be getting it back in 2 weeks though :|

Ta :)

You See
01-08-2005, 11:14 AM
I know you'll have to remove the "grille" covering the gap -is this attached to the bumper by screws or something? Or will you have to cut the grille out?
Ta :)

Only a small bit has to be cut out. Yeah bumper and the grill will have to come off to get access to the mounts, plus you also need to get piping throughout the engine bay, etc. :chugchug:

Marcel
01-08-2005, 11:37 AM
these original coolers are not considered to cool the air down very good.
I had a chat with one of Saab turbo development(yes, they have such a division) engineers and he suggested to change the cooler right away, because these things can not cool anything /Hmmm Thats what he said!
I am also looking for a new one, but it is a bit complicated with the Erebuni bodykit. i probably have to go with 50mm core.

marcel

OSiRiS
01-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Oh ok. Someone above said they used standard piping?

i3ooyah
01-08-2005, 11:50 AM
these original coolers are not considered to cool the air down very good.
I had a chat with one of Saab turbo development(yes, they have such a division) engineers and he suggested to change the cooler right away, because these things can not cool anything /Hmmm Thats what he said!
I am also looking for a new one, but it is a bit complicated with the Erebuni bodykit. i probably have to go with 50mm core.

marcel

what complication?

Marcel
01-08-2005, 12:52 PM
There is only 60mm space betwen the bumper and front bar!
we try to cut it a little more, but most of it is cut out already,thats the problem :inquisiti
i will take the bumber off today and see whats possible there.

what complication?

bradc
01-08-2005, 08:50 PM
Marcel, what did the guys at Saab say about intercoolers then?

Marcel
01-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Marcel, what did the guys at Saab say about intercoolers then?

That the original ones are ****ty for our engines and th´is should be the first mod after upping the boost.
These ICs can cope with max 300hp, so after going over it u certainly need to upgrade the ic to get the same temp as with stock engines and boost.
And our engines are sth 280 hp, so it means we need to change the ic already after upping the boost by 0,3 bar or changing the exhaust.
Thats what they calculated.
Also there may be a small possibility that saab aero 9-5 turbos would fit in our car, but they will inform me about it.

Marcel

SNWMAD
15-08-2005, 12:46 PM
So would someone please tell me how much the whole intercooler upgrade cost them?
I'm starting a build and i've been also told the an upgrade in this area is needed.
Just trying to price it all up to give a real kick in the pants.

enigma
15-08-2005, 01:08 PM
About £250 UK for the intercooler and hard pipes. But I did do all the labour myself!