PDA

View Full Version : Brain pick

je077
14-04-2005, 10:13 PM
Now i have my VR4 i am selling my Galant 2.0 v6 24v its a P reg met green shark nose with the back fin.
The problem i have with the Galant is now and again it blows out thick smoke, so much that the cars behind cant see where they are going, the engine really pinks and severe loss of power. Once it does that, it drives perfect for a while (like weeks).
It seems to happen when it gets a bit of a thrashing but has only been doing it for the past few months.

Any ideas what it could be.

Pete M
14-04-2005, 11:05 PM
One thing that can cause this is broken piston rings. Usually the gaps don't line up to let oil past. If one is broken, however, oil can sometimes really flood past the rings and smoke like crazy.
Another thing to look at is the PCV valve and engine breathing. If your positive crankcase ventilation valve is blocked, pressure can build up in the crankcase which can push oil into the cylinders during the inlet phase.
Carefully check your oil level too, as over-filling can cause this.
Are you sure it's oil smoke? If you have a faulty ECU temperature sensor, it can trick the engine into thinking it's -20 degrees, so you get a ton of fuel dumped in the engine which comes out the back as a huge fog. Naturally, you also get loss of power. A faulty brake booster can sometimes allow brake fluid to be sucked in, which gives white smoke. Lastly, if your auto gearbox has a vacuum connection, then a failure there can also give clouds of smoke.
I hope this gives you some ideas to try.

je077
15-04-2005, 08:34 AM
Thanks for your help, will try and narrow it down with your info.