PDA

View Full Version : is it worth it??

michaeli
17-04-2005, 09:01 PM
Hi Guys,

I need some advice /help , I'm about to get back onto the VR4 horse again :drummer: :thumbsup: and wondered what you thought of the following description:

1997 P Reg MITSUBISHI GALANT VR4 2.5 TWIN TURBO
4 Doors, Manual 5 speed, Saloon, Petrol, 65,000 miles, White. ABS, Immobiliser, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Head restraints, Leather seats, Power assisted steering, airbag double, bumper and mirror in color, central doorlocks with remote control, rear spoiler, sport exhaust pipe, taxed, Body kit, Traction control, Warranty available, Just imported from Japan. £6,995 ono.

Is it worth £7K? What should i check/ask for? What are the manual clutches like? Has anyone gone to see this one?? :rolleyes4

Thanks in advance

Mike

Kieran
17-04-2005, 09:35 PM
That'll be the one at Virtual Cars then, correct?

£7,000 is top drawer money for a VR-4 at that age/mileage; everything must be perfect to consider it. Has the dealer got the original Japan auction house sheet, telling you the overall grade of the car? Is there any Jap history?

If it's less than perfect, then I would say £5 - £6K is more like it. :inquisiti

I would say go and have a look and 'Caveat Emptor'....

michaeli
17-04-2005, 09:43 PM
Thanks Kieren..

Sometimes it's difficult to judge myself because i'm desperate to get another vr4...

Maybe I should request that it is serviced and that the cambelt be changed (if it hasn't already), also a warranty as well.... Good Point about the grade sheet... I'm also looking at P/Xing my Fiat Stilo for it... so we'll see...

Thanks again for the advice..

Mike

Kieran
17-04-2005, 10:04 PM
Maybe I should request that it is serviced and that the cambelt be changed (if it hasn't already), also a warranty as well....

Good point - 65,000 miles is 104,000 Kms.... A Jap spec VR-4 should've had 2 belt changes by now.... this may have been skipped. There's normally a sticker somewhere on the car indicating when the next service/cambelt should be. Nick Mann's (another recentish import) had one on the cambelt cover - it may be worth seeing if this one has such a sticker anywhere...This would give some clue to it's owner(s) in Japan, and whether or not they looked after the car. :inquisiti

paulmc
17-04-2005, 10:28 PM
seems a bit steep to me.

I paid a heap less than the for my 97 with full history @ only 37k on the clock

KiwiTT
17-04-2005, 11:05 PM
104,000 Kms.... A Jap spec VR-4 should've had 2 belt changes.

According to this (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4627&highlight=Service)

It should have had at least one around 72,000ks and the next one is die in around 40,000k

bernmc
18-04-2005, 09:37 AM
Good point - 65,000 miles is 104,000 Kms....
True! Cars that have done more than 100000km's sell for peanuts in the jap auctions - this car will have been dirt cheap. It is also VERY unlikely to have been a high auction grade, which it would have to be to justify this price, although high-spec'ed manuals tend to cost a bit more.

The auction houses over there have a strict code of practice, and also have to refund buyers if the car is significantly different from the auction sheet condition. However, this does NOT apply to cars with more than 100k on the clock - there's virtually no comeback for the buyer, which is why they sell for so little.

It doesn't mean the car is in fact rubbish, but just be extra careful. And make sure you get a BIMTA check (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7950)

michaeli
20-04-2005, 08:06 AM
Thanks guys, that's great info....

Sometimes these facts escape you when you desparately want to buy something....

Thanks again,

Mike :thumbsup: :smug: