PDA

View Full Version : Does AYC use ABS sensors?

VR4HOAR
18-04-2005, 09:27 PM
Hi all,

I have just had a VR4 legnum arrive from japan, and was wondering if one of you gurus could help me out.

We have an issue with ABS sensors that we are trying to sort out, (The car has EVO 5 Brembos on all four), the front ABS sensors are not working. Does the AYC system use the information from the ABS sensors? The AYC light (the red one) is coming on, but there doesn't seem to be any problem with it, no horrible noises or funny coloured fluid.

(also if anyone has ever put EVO 5 brakes on a legnum and knows how to get the sensors to line up I'd be keen to hear from ya!)

Cheers
Mike

Kenneth
18-04-2005, 10:30 PM
Yes I think the ABS and AYC systems share some sensor information.

v8killa
19-04-2005, 01:54 AM
Yes the wheel sensors are for both AYC and ABS - mine has red AYC light playing up on it too. Day 108 of car being off road with this problem. When it gets real bad, the ABS circuit will start faulting out, then like mine it can't get a Warrant of fitness, or be registered.
Good luck.

VR4HOAR
19-04-2005, 05:53 AM
yeah, we haven't been through compliance yet so have to get it sorted before its on the road. I'm upto day 2, I hope I don't get to day 108!

If worst comes to worst we can always put the standards brakes back in....urgh..

KiwiTT
19-04-2005, 06:03 AM
Does this mean if you change the brakes from standard, you need to get it approved from the MOT.

VR4HOAR
19-04-2005, 06:08 AM
I won't be able to get a warrant cause the ABS warning light is on, and they check that it turns off after the ignition is turned on to make sure it is working properly.

If you upgrade your brakes with aftermarket jobbies that are designed for your car and your ABS still works properly you shouldn't have any probs but I'm no expert in the area.

v8killa
19-04-2005, 06:26 AM
yeah, we haven't been through compliance yet so have to get it sorted before its on the road. I'm upto day 2, I hope I don't get to day 108!

If worst comes to worst we can always put the standards brakes back in....urgh..

what discs/calipers you have on your car is irelivant (spelling???) the wheel sensors are still there, behind that stuff.
Check your car hasnt missed any recalls too.

VR4HOAR
19-04-2005, 09:18 PM
It matters if they have replaced the entire hub with an EVO 5 hub, the brakes wouldn't fit on the standard legnum hubs. The hole in the hub for the sensor is further away from the ABS wheely thing which leaves a gap of about 10 mm, I think the gap is supposed to be .2 mm?

Next step it to see if Evo sensors will work....

VR4HOAR
19-04-2005, 09:19 PM
And yes, I checked the mitsi website for the recall, and it is sweet. (I think they said it only affected autos?)

v8killa
19-04-2005, 11:20 PM
Ah Ha! - yes if the complete hub was changed and the gap has opened up, it will cause problem. I think the gap is meant to be .2mm.

VR4HOAR
21-04-2005, 09:26 PM
Thanks for your help fellas. It turns out they do use the ABS sensors, I put the standard brakes on the front last night which has fixed the ABS problem and the AYC problem at the same time.

The Brembos are still on the back and working fine, looks kind of silly though cause the back brakes are bigger than the front! (Man those standard brakes are small, especially behind 18's!)

Gonna work on getting the brembos on the front again after its been through compliance.

v8killa
22-04-2005, 12:50 AM
Glad yours is fixed - wish it was that simple for mine...

VR4HOAR
22-04-2005, 12:59 AM
So is it the ABS causing the fault with the AYC or the other way round? Why would the AYC cause the ABS circuit to lose it?